Mosiah 26:12-13

pam

Mosiah 26:12-13*

12 But king Mosiah said unto Alma: Behold, I judge them not; therefore I deliver them into thy hands to be judged.

13 And now the spirit of Alma was again troubled; and he went and inquired of the Lord what he should do concerning this matter, for he feared that he should do wrong in the sight of God.

Quotes for Discussion

“It is a fearsome and awesome responsibility to stand as a judge of the people. You must be their judge in some instances as to worthiness to hold membership in the Church, worthiness to enter the house of the Lord, worthiness to be baptized, worthiness to receive the priesthood, worthiness to teach and to serve as officers in the organizations.” (Church News, Sep. 9, 1995)

Boyd K. Packer

“Bishop, those who come to you are children of God. Counsel them in the Lord's own way. Teach them to ponder it in their minds, then to pray over their problems.

“Remember that soothing, calming effect of reading the scriptures. Next time you are where they are read, notice how things settle down. Sense the feeling of peace and security that comes.

“Now, from the Book of Mormon, this closing thought: The prophet Alma faced a weightier problem than you, bishop, will likely see in your ministry. Like you, he felt uncertain; and he went to Mosiah. Mosiah wisely turned the problem back to him, saying:

‘Behold, I judge them not; therefore I deliver them into thy hands to be judged.

And now the spirit of Alma was again troubled; and he went and inquired of the Lord what he should do concerning this matter, for he feared that he should do wrong in the sight of God.

And it came to pass that after he had poured out his whole soul to God, the voice of the Lord came to him.’ (Mosiah 26:12-14.)

“That voice will speak to you, bishop. That is your privilege. I bear witness of that, for I know that He lives. May God bless you, bishop, the inspired judge in Israel, and those who come to you, as you counsel them in the Lord's own way.” (That All May Be Edified, pp. 96-7)