Does anyone carry on interfaith conversations in real life?

prisonchaplain

I so enjoy this site and the opportunities we have to ask questions, and let people speak for themselves, and how they understand their faith. We can dispel myths, fine-tune misunderstandings, and, for the most part, this is a safe venue.

The last time I carried on a live interfaith dialogue was with friends who were Jehovah's Witnesses--about 35 years ago. Oh, I have occasional 5-10 minute conversations with the Catholic priest, our Muslim imam, and I used to with the rabbi. But finding opportunities, and people with whom we can talk intelligently about our differing faiths is pretty tough in real life.

Anyone have success stories, or tales of past foibles?

I so enjoy this site and the opportunities we have to ask questions, and let people speak for themselves, and how they understand their faith. We can dispel myths, fine-tune misunderstandings, and, for the most part, this is a safe venue.

The last time I carried on a live interfaith dialogue was with friends who were Jehovah's Witnesses--about 35 years ago. Oh, I have occasional 5-10 minute conversations with the Catholic priest, our Muslim imam, and I used to with the rabbi. But finding opportunities, and people with whom we can talk intelligently about our differing faiths is pretty tough in real life.

Sure. Lots of times.

My cousin is Born Again, I'm Mormon in a family of Catholics. We tend to talk a lot about how we ended up in our respected faiths, risking getting ostracized.

Also, when I was in graduate school, one of my classmates in several classes is Baptist. We talked a lot about how Baptists and Mormons have been "enemies" historically. We ended up talking about our differences a lot throughout graduate school.

And then, of course, there's the Catholic priest that comes to my sister's house for mah-jong every weekend. I played with them when I visited (a month) and pondered how I can leave the "One Holy, Apostolic, Catholic Church"...

Another message board I'm on regularly has religious discussions about specific faiths and/or specific points of doctrine. There's been several LDS discussions, as well as many on Evangelicals, JW's, Orthodox , Catholicism (as well as the similarities and differences between those last two), Judasism and Islam, as well as discussions on doctrine, such as views of End Times, Calvinism, Patriarchy/Quiverful, and lots of other stuff. About 90% of the time it remains respectful, but the Mods are quick to nip and delete any disrespectful posts or discussions. It's rare that an entire discussion goes by without at least one banning, but we keep at it. :lol:

Not in real life.

At least not with friends.

Religion, like politics is a very personal topic, and I rarely discuss it with friends of other faiths That's not what we have in common, and if anything it's done in a joking manner. It's hard to talk about objectively, and emotions are very close to the surface.

Even on the internet emotions can rage. One forum I'm on had to shut down its religion section because of name calling, etc.

The last good live one I can remember was actually on my honeymoon. We were hottubbing with a group of evangelicals. I didn't really participate, I got bored after a while and so did the other females, but my husband and this other guy were really having a great debate. Nice people.

When I worked at camp, we had more of them.

When I went to Europe with my little sister's high school group we regretted not bringing Book of Mormons. People found out we were from Utah and Mormons, all sorts of interfaith discussions began.

I used to share an office suite with a lady that attend Church of the Nazarene. We had some really good talks about religion. She was very open and liked to learn about the LDS church. When ever she would see something on TV about the church she was sure to have questions. When we discussed the Atonement her remark was "Hmmmm I hadn't thougt of it that way but it makes sense." I even got her into food storage. Her husband told her they needed to be like the Mormons in emergency preparedness the year we had the big floods here.

My best friend calls herself multi denominational. She has dabble in Buddism, Native American religions and several others and is well versed in the LDS faith, we talk all the time. She doesn't know it but she is pretty much a dry Mormon. She attends the Lutheran chuch with her husband and his mother and she has been know to put people in their place when they bad mouth the LDS church or come up with weird doctrine that we supposedly believe.

I ran into people like that all the time in my hometown, it helps if youre the minority in a town that has almost no LDS influence. Ive had conversations with almost every major christian group, except for Jehovahs Witness, and non religious people as well.

Its interesting that the non religious people Ive talked to seem to love general LDS beliefs.

My best friend growing up was Catholic but ended up becoming a "dry Mormon". She believes everything in the LDS faith but doesn't want to be baptised because she doesn't want to make the necessary life changes to commit. We talk about religion sometimes, but she was never really very strong in the Catholic faith, so our discussions on that point are kind of limited.

A couple of my college friends are very religious- one is Lutheran and the other a non-denominational Christian. We have occassionally talked with each other about the similarities and differences in our beliefs and never had any problems keeping the conversations civil.

Had an athiest professor who was dead-set on proving the existance of God a lie through his course. Tried to have conversations with him and failed.

I've studied Buddhism and Taoism a bit, but have yet to meet someone with whom I can have conversations about it.

Have a couple friends who are Wiccan and occassionally talk with them about their faith and religious practices. They tend to be more closed up on both ends though- don't really like talking about details of their faith or hearing the details about mine.

And that's about it for me for "live" religious conversations. I think it would be nice to have more, but it can be rather difficult to find people and/or settings that are suitable for religious discussion. That's part of why I enjoy this site so much. :D I've learned far more about Catholicism, Protestants, and Evangelicals here than I have anywhere else.

I've learned far more about Catholicism, Protestants, and Evangelicals here than I have anywhere else.

I too have learned a fair amount about Catholics, some about Orthodox, and even gained some perspectives on Judaism here. What I found interesting though, is that I have learned more about Pentecostalism--my own faith. Dr. Robert Millet mentions the same phenomenon--that he has learned more about his own Mormon faith through his dialogue with Evangelicals than he could have any other way.

I have them frequently. I work with various pastors of different churches, and car pool with a Methodist pastor. I really enjoy inter-faith discussion. Right now, my stake is setting up a speakers' bureau, where we have a few chosen speakers (including yours truly), who can speak on a variety of topics to a variety of organizations, including other churches.

I can think of a neighbor and a friend who I have had religious conversations with in the last few years. It was good. I loved that we could say what we believed, have it be different, and be happy about it for ourselves and each other.

I can't have conversations with this with family members. They are too busy telling me what I believe and how it's wrong.

I have a Greek Orthodox coworker who I chat up regularly. He's a regular in his church, so I can ask him questions and expect accurate answers. I went to Christmas Mass with him a few weeks back (Jan 6) and that has spurned more discussion.

I've tried to talk to Indian coworkers about their Hindu beliefs, but most that I've talked to so far only follow it culturally. I'll keep looking, just cuz I enjoy the sport.

Reading the responses I looked into my past- near past. Before I married husband #2, my neighbor JR & I used to discuss (actually debate is more correct) our faith differences. He claimed to be "Capital" R Catholic. Yet in retrospect he "cherry picked" what he preferred to do, follow.

He loved having the LDS missionaries over and then he would debate doctrine. Totally ignoring the fact that these young men were not here to be debating. I am quite the Mother figure and I went to the Mission President with a two hour tape recording I had taken during a dinner with the missionaries and this neighbor. He was then put on the 'Do Not Contact' list.

Thus I became the one he would want to debate with. I don't debate my faith. I also don't defend it. It doesn't need defending. I gave him a Book of Mormon, and I also gave him The Book of Mormon Study Manual from the Institute (6 of these had been donated to our branch library and the BPres told me I could give him one.)

I went to Easter mass with him, on the condition that he then come to church with me right after. Our first meeting (Sacrament) started at 10- his mass ended at 9:30. I stayed for all of his, he crapped out on me and only stayed for Sacrament.

The only other person I have felt comfortable with discussing my faith was my Chiropractor in AZ. He is a Christian, yet I don't know what faith he adheres to.

Nearly all the books/magazines in his waiting room are Christian based. He agreed to have the Book of Mormon in there. The missionaries stop by on a monthly basis to replenish them. When my husband and I got sealed (1.5 years after our civil marriage- we were really excited about it, and told him we were going, when, where and why. He was truly interested. Said that he would like to be married to his wife for an eternity and to have all of his children (he has 8) with him in the 'Eternities'.

Then I have a girlfriend here in OR who I feel very comfortable talking about my faith with her. Again, I don't know what faith she is, other than she is a Christian. What is so refreshing for me is these two people don't swear, gossip, or talk negatively about others. They don't 'Praise The Lord' all the time either. When I have lunch with my girl friend we take turns asking for a blessing on our lunch- with LDS's this is the norm in restaurants, but not so much with other faiths. Even my daughter in law who is more into her Calvary Baptist religion than she is in her family, won't ask a blessing on her food in a restaurant- or at our table. We say it, and she fidgets.

If given the opportunity, I would feel comfortable sitting with my girlfriend and discussing our faiths. Their similarities and differences.

Oh, I can't forget our across the street neighbor. He is an ex-druggie, elderly wanna-be biker. He is pretty much crippled up with arthritis, smokes medicinal pot and has a morphine thing that dispenses a set amount for his pain. Had to go to the hospital recently to get it adjusted. He is Born Again. One afternoon Husband and Neighbor were sitting out on the tailgate of our pickup talking. I overheard snatches of religious talk.

Well I had just made our lunch, and I thing Father had a hand in my cooking, because I ended up with enough to feed 12 people. Chicken Stir Fry! So I invited Neighbor to come eat with us.

The religious conversation continued at the table. He asked lots of questions. You really don't sacrifice babies or animals do you? Do your templed women have to go bra-less and with out makeup? Does your Prophet and Holy Men pick your husbands and wifes? Is it true you have to pay your church money before you can get into heaven?

Those are only a few of the questions. I wish I had written them all down. He was serious, but not predisposed to not listening to our answers. Husband answered most of his questions. I got the Scriptures, and to the more difficult questions, I looked up the answers.

Later that day, I went on-line and ordered a Pearl of Great Price and D & C through LDS.org- when they came, we gifted them to him. He has his own KJV of the Bible. The next Sunday I got a copy of the BofM from the Missionaries and gave him that also. He was really glad that the Mormon church used the KJV- pleased him no end.

Unfortunately we haven't him over for a meal since then. His son's and ex-wife have been there- they sell drugs, steal, use meth, etc. Husband didn't think it would be polite to invite him and not the other(s). Wouldn't have fazed me a bit- I would have told him point blank, this invitation is for you, and you only, because I only trust and like you. Not your offspring or your ex-wife.

Any way- he and husband have visited a few times since he received the books from us. He has been reading them. He writes down his questions, then pulls his note book out when husband goes over there to see how he is doing.

He is absolutely fascinated with all of those 'Mormon Religious Books'. They "ring true" to him. I'd like to see what he thinks of our Sunday block. Don't think he could stay awake for the three hours.

When I was in college, I had three roomates: A Catholic, a protestant, and a Hindu.

There is a JW church around the corner so they come by once in a while, and I will take their pamplhets, and we dialog a bit. But it's always a different set of people each time, so i never get to know them. Once their discussion was Adam and Eve, and I kept bring up LDS thought on the Fall, and the woman said, "Wow, I have never thought about those things. How did you come up with them" I simply said, "I believe a modern prophet of God revealed them." And one time, I did give them a Book of Mormon. I am sure they tossed it but the gesture of them at least accepting it was very warm to me.

I work with a woman who was a Quaker and now follows Indian philosophy (not a Hindu, but I don't know what she is, but she's not a Hindu). She was trained in a seminary and has an educated understanding of religion. She was the first person I outed myself to because I thought she would bring some rationality to the discussion of religion. We talk about our beliefs. She is curious, but more in a 'that's interesting' kind of way, not that she's going to convert. What I find fascinating about our discussions is that she is very left and I am very right, but on a number of topics, we agree, being around the same age and having gone through similar counter culture experiences. It does shape your world view, no matter what your religion.

I guess those are the deepest conversations, most other interaction is if someone asks a specific question, but not really an 'interfaith conversation.'

I don't initiate them so i don't have as much as i'd like. but i do once in a blue moon.

• 3 weeks later...

My interfaith dialogue is substantial and I think it has led me to have a worldview that is closely inline with the working of God. I've talked to many a folk, LDS, Protestant, Catholic, Jewish (Orthodox, Hasidic, Conservative, Reconstructionist, Reform, Secular), Muslims, Lutherans, Anglicans, Quakers, etc etc. You name it and I've probably had a friend from that faith.

What I've learned is that one can draw a substantial amount of knowledge from all worldviews. I'm currently a Catholic but I'm willing to follow God wherever He wants me. I want to have a faith that I can share with my wife and children and that can unite us all together. Whatever that faith ends up being I'll be extremely happy and I know it. I have an open heart to everyone, and every faith. But there is always a substantial difference when one is in a particular faith and one's worldview will never mimick an other entirely until they join that particular group.

So I guess I should say be friends with all people, but stay away from the bad. Stay away from the negative influences of life, be that people or otherwise. But accept others and love them, and be open with your heart.

I discuss my faith with others on at least a weekly basis. I live in an area in which my religion is currently a minority. I have friends of other faiths, married a baptist in fact, though he didn't stay one for long :) I tend to see the similarities rather than the differences. I would rather my actions speak on whether or not I am a Christian rather than doctrinal debate.

It's funny, sometimes someone at my work will actually say, "I want to go to church where she goes to church!" Then they ask me where I go to church, I tell them, and even give them directions and the meeting time. LOL they usually change their tune after that, but at least they know what my actions say about my faith.

People are generally very surprised when they find out things they didn't know about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints... some wish their church did such and such, and then I tell them that we have that...like the welfare program, the genealogy programs, fast offerings, etc.

I have a couple of Messianic (sp) friends, that were very surprised by some of the things they learned about us keeping the feast times of year by general conference. We feast on the word of the Lord, I told them... similarities are very common

My coworker and I sometimes chat about religion or philosophy. Often he asks questions about the LDS faith. Not that he wants to join, but he's curious, and I'm happy to talk about it. As for him, he believes there is "something" out there that created the universe, and the other day he announced he is a monotheist. However, he won't have anything to do with organized religion, and says he is not a "joiner."

Sorry I never saw this post earlier, but my answer to the op is yes, all the time!

Coming from a Jewish background and a Bat Mitzpah, being partially raised Protestant Christian in my youth, minor in World Religions in College, and a convert to the LDS Church 20 year ago, I love talking about religion and philosophy.

This past week I have just completed reading a book titled "Mormon's Believe What?! Fact and Fiction about A Rising Religion (The punctuation is correct), authored by Gary C. Lawrence. I found that Lawrence (a member of the LDS church) did a wonderful job of explaining many of the questions that non LDS members (and perhaps even a few newer LDS members) have about the church. Lawrence is in addition to being an author, a pollister an statustician. He dispels many of the myths and much of the confision that others have about the church. I highly recommend this book. It is not an official church puplication, but I even recommended this book to my Stake President. And I think PC you would enjoy it as well. :)

Sadly I rarely do I am always afraid to say the wrong thing or not have a good enough answer and accidentally shed a bad light on our church. I know im actually missing a lot of oppurtunities to shed LIGHT on our church but thats just how I am hehe.

I feel the same way sometimes. I don't want to say the wrong thing. I'm not a scripture scholar, so when people ask "well, where is it in the Bible" then I'm at a loss.