Coffee And The Word Of Wisdom

LionHeart

A group of Missionaries came in again today, LOL i tell ya they do try to buy the diet coke, I talked him into a rootbeer. It is so nice to see them, we get a rather large group about twice a month today there was 15 which surpized me only one was a sister and she stuck with (i am not sure what they are called) the transport guy?, I thought you had to have more then one maybe i am wrong i know she said she was being transferd, interesting though, i always love to see them.

I just love the missionaries....they are such good kids....the church has what now? 50,000 in service at this time?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? The meat thing, or the other thing?

The other thing is already in the OT... the mean thing is hardly important!

Why should we waste our time?

Why should the D&C be updated? Because (as I have been told again and again) everything is only a prophet's opinion unless it is cannonized.

If it says in a Standard work,

You shouldn't eat meat in the summer

but this in no longer the will of God,

the Standard work should be updated.

Josh B)

You aren't even a member and you are telling US what WE should be doing. lol.

Obviously you aren't going to be taken very seriously. :lol:

Des,

In all sincerity when you said,

where you having a conversation recently where that came up and then you started using it as a defense for your beliefs or is that your own conclusion? I've heard that quite a bit and was wondering if it is a standard reply to discredit any arguments from non-LDS members.

Thanks you

Remember the time in which the Word of Wisdom was given. There was no refrigeration, thus eating meats in the winter would be smart, as they would be less likely to spoil.

While the revelation came first as a “greeting; not by commandment or constraint” (D&C 89:2), when members of the Church had had time to be taught the import of the revelation, succeeding Presidents of the Church declared it to be a commandment. And it was accepted by the Church as such.

One thing I've heard a lot in response to WoW criticism from LDS is that the rules that were given by God may not have been relevant to the time they were given. For example, it was not known that coffee/tea was bad for you at the time of the revelation, but later on came the evidence that coffee and tea were unhealthy. (I happen to disagree that coffee in moderation is bad for you based on latest studies, but I realize that you can find studies to back up whatever you want.) Some LDS have told me that God was telling you it was bad for your health long before doctors did.

If that argument applies here, maybe eating meat in the summer is truly bad for you and should be avoided... it just hasn't been discovered by the health professionals yet.

I've also been told that God's rules do not change and are for all time. If that is the case, then why would he give counsel based on a temporary state of no refrigeration?

And if that meat thing should be changed, maybe the coffee/tea thing should be changed.

I know this sounds like I'm all over the place with this, but the WoW just seems so inconsistent to me. Of course it doesn't matter what I think. Everyone has the right to do what they want. I'm just trying to understand the logic of it.

Obviously you aren't going to be taken very seriously. :lol:

lol...I didnt' really think that they would update the D&C just because I recommend it :P

However, my arugment is logical, if the Word of Wisdom has been updated, this update should be in the D&C.

Josh B)

Des,

In all sincerity when you said,

where you having a conversation recently where that came up and then you started using it as a defense for your beliefs or is that your own conclusion? I've heard that quite a bit and was wondering if it is a standard reply to discredit any arguments from non-LDS members.

Thanks you

I think the point she was making is that it's OUR church, and the Lord's church.

Why should anyone feel they can tell us how to do things?

If you want to have a say on what goes on in our church,

Then either become a member, or our Lord!

That is really a no brainer... don't you think?

Thank you Ray. :) I've heard the similar saying about an argument on this board a couple of times and I always wonder, "Just because the person is not LDS, does that mean that the argument is not sound." That is why I was asking Des if she came up with that on her own or if that is a standard "argument" against opposition. Focus on the person not the argument. That's all I was interested in.

Thank you,

Dr. T

...Focus on the person not the argument...

Which brings us to the Word of the Day:

ad hominem

Latin.

1. appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.

2. attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.

Oh wait, I guess that's a different thread. :P

M.

Thank you Ray. :) I've heard the similar saying about an argument on this board a couple of times and I always wonder, "Just because the person is not LDS, does that mean that the argument is not sound." That is why I was asking Des if she came up with that on her own or if that is a standard "argument" against opposition. Focus on the person not the argument. That's all I was interested in.

Thank you,

Dr. T

I know?

Did I say I was ignoring him?

I think Maureen is trying to himt something to me....

I am thinking I should look the other way. Bye!

Thank you,

Dr. T

Huh??? :blink:

When Josh told Desire’ our standards works should be updated, and Desire then said something about how Josh wasn’t even a member yet and was telling US what WE should do, while showing she wasn’t taking Josh seriously, you were wondering why, and are STILL wondering why, she wasn’t taking him seriously???

Do you really think any member should take a non-member seriously when they tell us what we should be doing?

You can tell us what you think, and we’ll tell you what we think, but only our Lord tells us what we should do... and our Lord has not told us to update our standard works, so that’s something we know we don’t need to do.

And btw, if you’ll listen, you might see and understand another good reason we don’t and wouldn’t even attempt it.

We know we have prophets who are inspired by our Lord, and we measure their works by the “standard” works… or in other words… our “standard” works are our “standard” for judging when other works are truly inspired by our Lord…. and we know it is impossible to keep adding to our “standard” when other works are later added by our Lord.

If we added every other work our Lord has ever given us the whole world could not contain all His works. And our Lord still inspires us, every one of us, daily, and there never will be an end to His works.

Do you now hear what I’m saying to you?

Just learn our “standard” works and then add to that knowledge to learn all God has done and will do. That’s the “standard” God has set for all of us now, and that “standard” will help us know when we do. :)