Beehive Advisor

JThimm88

I am being released this Sunday from my primary calling to be called as the beehive advisor in my ward. My question is, what does that calling entail, generally? The counselor from the bishopric who met with me last night didn't say very much, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Also, not having gone through personal progress, and technically having a calling in YWs, am I able to do my own personal progress at this time, or must I be a member of the presidency to do so?

Oh, one more thing! I also have NO idea how YWs works for the second and third hours of church. What is the format of the class times? I know in primary, I taught my class, then took them to sharing time. How does YWs work in that regard? Do all of the girls to go to class together for one hour and then separate for the other (based on whether they're beehives, mia maids, or laurels)? What is done during each class period? Any information anyone has would be great!

Another question -- on 5th Sunday, do advisors still need to attend 3rd hour in YWs, or do they go to the combined 3rd hour with the other adults?

Edited by JThimm88

It's been about 8 years since I was Beehive adviser, but I assume it's mostly the same. I taught the lessons on Sunday, went to activities on Wednesday if they needed me (which was most of the time since our ward was small, but they said the adviser generally isn't obligated to participate in midweek activities), and helped the girls plan those activities. We were encouraged to do our own Personal Progress since the program had changed from when I was a YW.

During the second hour you'll go to Gospel Doctrine and the girls go to a Sunday School class with boys their age. YW is third hour. Typically all 3 YW classes meet for opening exercises, then split for their lessons.

Your mileage me vary, but for me it felt most important that I really get to know the girls and establish friendly relationships with them. Then I was able to encourage them to do the same with each other. They appreciated that I spoke to them very frankly and not like they were little kids, and that I was willing to laugh and have fun with them, too. I really enjoyed it and I hope someday I get to serve in YW again.

While the boys are in priesthood the girls are in YWs. Then they all go to Sunday School. As a YW advisor you'll be expected to attend the mid-week activity.

Yes you can do your personal progress. :) Its wonderful to do. I did mine when in my 40s and I was only the assistant camp director. The program had changed from when I was a girl so I did it.

Addition: I don't think a woman has to be in YWs to do personal progress. Its a great program at any age. I think it just makes it easier to do if you're accountable to someone other than yourself. If you want the recognition you would need someone from YWs to sign off as you complete each section.

• 3 months later...
Guest Denzel
Hidden

I don't think a lady has to be in YWs to do individual development. Its an excellent system at any age. I think it just creates it much simpler to do if you're responsible to someone other than yourself. If you want the identification you would need someone from YWs to indication off as you finish each area.