Sealing cancellations and family history

classylady

Are sealing cancellations recorded in family history? Is this pertinent information for families to know? Thoughts please.

Personally I think any information is important for family history.

The reason I feel this way is that I while working on my Dad's line I discovered a record that showed my grandfather had been married before he married my grandmother. I had never heard anything about this. When I told my Dad what I'd found he said that it was true. Sealings weren't involved.

Having a note attached saying that a sealing cancellation had been granted would help future generations in not redoing temple work for people who had it undone. Just my :twocents:

Hidden

Are sealing cancellations recorded in family history? Is this pertinent information for families to know? Thoughts please.

The reason I feel this way is that I while working on my Dad's line I discovered a record that showed my grandfather had been married before he married my grandmother. I had never heard anything about this. When I told my Dad what I'd found he said that it was true. Sealings weren't involved.

Having a note attached saying that a sealing cancellation had been granted would help future generations in not redoing temple work for people who had it undone. Just my :twocents:

I agree with you Applepansy. It would be nice to know if a sealing had been cancelled. But, I don't see anywhere to put it in NewFamilySearch. I guess I could put it under marriage events. There's a place for divorce there. I'm just surprised there isn't a place for sealing cancellations. In that same place I do put in the dates of sealing to spouse.

I know my step-grandmother had her sealing cancelled to her first husband, but I don't see it recorded anywhere. I'm thinking that might be pertinent so someone down the line doesn't decide to seal her to her first husband again. But, then again, I guess it wouldn't really matter.

Edited by classylady

My mother had her sealing cancelled to my father. Before she had this done, President Kimball, the Prophet at the time, told her that if she ever changed her mind later about the cancellation that she could always have it changed back. I think the reason that this can happen is due to the priesthood covenant. No, a man or a woman isn't trapped with eternal marriage to someone wrong for him or her. It is my opinion that there is time after this life to decide definitely that a person wants it cancelled. The priesthood covenant, sealing, has been made, yes, but there is much more to learn about that covenant after this life. God is a just God and if all that is possible has been done to do that work correctly; He will either show you the way or help you understand more about that way.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother had her sealing cancelled to my father. Before she had this done, President Kimball, the Prophet at the time, told her that if she ever changed her mind later about the cancellation that she could always have it changed back. I think the reason that this can happen is due to the priesthood covenant. No, a man or a woman isn't trapped with eternal marriage to someone wrong for him or her. It is my opinion that there is time after this life to decide definitely that a person wants it cancelled. The priesthood covenant, sealing, has been made, yes, but there is much more to learn about that covenant after this life. God is a just God and if all that is possible has been done to do that work correctly; He will either show you the way or help you understand more about that way.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly when you say "It is my opinion that there is time after this life to decide definitely that a person wants it cancelled." Are you saying that you feel sealings should not be cancelled in this life, and we should wait until the next life to decide if we want to remain sealed to a spouse?