The Pioneers and Manifest Destiny

JudoMinja

A brief glance at some copies I was printing off for one of the history teachers I work with revealed that he was covering the "Mormon trek" to Utah as part of his unit on Manifest Destiny, and I mentioned to him that I am Mormon. He asked if I knew much about the trek, because he was "clueless", and if I'd be willing to talk about it to his class when he covers it Wednesday. I agreed, and he said he will go over the specifics of what he'd like me to talk about tomorrow, so that I can be prepared-

I was wondering if I could get some feedback here for people's thoughts on this portion of our history and how I can talk about it in a way that will be most fitting when addressing middle school students in their history class. And of course, I'll share how it went after Wednesday. :)

Excellent point volgadon and Dravin. I think this teacher is including it with the unit on Manifest Destiny simply because it's one of the largest westward expeditions across the US, but you are right that the goal had nothing at all to do with expanding US influence. It's possible the text book they are using lumps it in here... I'll ask him when we talk about it tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure he's going to stick with it where it is. I might just end up mentioning that it doesn't really tie into Manifest Destiny while talking to the students about it.

He gave me the sheet of questions the students are supposed to answer with their guided reading- I just didn't have time to post them earlier, so here they are:

Who founded the Mormon Church and where did he found the church at?

What is polygamy?

Why were the Mormons forced to move around a lot?

Where was Joseph Smith killed at? Also who took over after Joseph Smith died?

Where did the new leader of the Mormons decide to move the Mormons after Joseph Smith died?

What significant thing occurred in 1846 involving the Mormons?

I'm pretty sure he's just going to have me cover those questions, so that the students will be able to answer them, and maybe answer some student questions they might ask, but again we didn't really get a chance to discuss it and will be talking about it tomorrow. The only major point I'm noticing that might be problematic, other than it doesn't technically fit Manifest Destiny, is that Brigham Young didn't decide where to move, did he? If I remember right, the first groups of settlers were already trekking west before Joseph died... or was it just that Joseph was organizing them, and the first group didn't leave until after? Either way, I thought it was Joseph who decided where they were going to move to..

Take the easy route and let them watch "17 Miracles". I know it doesn't apply to all the treks but it may keep their attention. ;)

Since I'm not the teacher, I can't really decide that, and it's too short notice to ask the teacher himself to watch and approve it for showing to the students. But I will definitely mention it to him, in case he's interested in checking it out ;).

I might look at how Brigham Young saw Manifest Destiny for the Mormons. His original Deseret was massive, stretching all the way past Nevada and he even planned it to have a coastal port (San Diego). Clearly it didn't turn out that way, but the idea that the American continent was destined to be a promised land for Mormons very much parallels that of the country. And when the US did acquire Deseret, I think the Mormons embraced the idea that they wanted to be a part of America, and not an isolated area. It came full circle.

Although I couldn't give you a specific source, in my readings of Joseph Smith's writings, either in the book compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith or in the church history, Joseph does indicate that he was planning to lead the saints to the west. Basically, that is where he was going when he was leaving the town before his friends called him a coward for not going and facing the mob. Paraphrasing he responded that if his life didn't have any value to his friends then it didn't have any value to him and he turned around towards martyrdom.

The original revelation of going West was given to Joseph who communicated it to Brigham if not in full before his death then in full immediately after his death.

A brief glance at some copies I was printing off for one of the history teachers I work with revealed that he was covering the "Mormon trek" to Utah as part of his unit on Manifest Destiny, and I mentioned to him that I am Mormon. He asked if I knew much about the trek, because he was "clueless", and if I'd be willing to talk about it to his class when he covers it Wednesday. I agreed, and he said he will go over the specifics of what he'd like me to talk about tomorrow, so that I can be prepared-

I was wondering if I could get some feedback here for people's thoughts on this portion of our history and how I can talk about it in a way that will be most fitting when addressing middle school students in their history class. And of course, I'll share how it went after Wednesday. :)

What a fantastic opportunity!

I was just thinking, it might be a good idea to mention the Mormon Battalion, who went to fight for the US in the Mexican War.

You could mention the relations with the Native Americans...

It got bumped a day, because he didn't cover everything he needed to, so I will be covering this tomorrow. He wants me to come in for just his Pre-AP classes, so that I'm not getting pulled away from my own work too much, and said that he would basically just like me to tell the class a bit more in-depth information than the book provides about Joseph Smith- since he's the founder, Brigham Young- since he led the trek west, some of our unique religious practices- I'm guessing specifically polygamy since that's the only one mentioned in the questions, and the trek itself.

I'm getting a little nervous now, but also excited. I know I always thought it would have been nice if this portion of history ("our" history) had been covered more in-depth and more accurately in my own history classes growing up. So I hope I do a good job. :) I've taught several primary classes and in Relief Society, but this'll be my first time addressing a "non-LDS" crowd about our history.

This is really interesting, is this in the curriculum in other public schools? If it is, it would be nice if members knew so that we could all go out and do what you are doing in our own kid's schools.

I believe it is. I remember it being very briefly mentioned in my textbook in my high school US History course. I can't remember if we covered it at all in my middle school classes, but this group I'll be speaking to tomorrow is eighth graders, and the small exerpt on it in their text seems to be pretty close to the same thing I remember being in my US History text from high school.

I'd ask to have a look at your kids history textbooks if they are in middle or high school, search the area where it talks about Manifest Destiny and/or the Mexican War, and if its in there it will be somewhere around that. Or just check the index for "Mormons", "Joseph Smith", or "Brigham Young" and see what page it shows up on, if it's in there at all. Once you know if it is going to be covered in your child's class, you could volunteer to help with it.

I think many teachers would probably be happy to have parents help cover this section, since the text doesn't provide very much information- as long as they aren't worried you're going to try to "convert" all their students, as treating it as an opportunity to preach would go against public school policies and could get them in trouble. And, of course, if they have the time to cover it in more detail without falling behind on what they are required to cover.

The Mormon Battalion would be a great aspect to cover. There is a visitors' center in Old Town San Diego which is absolutely awesome. So worth discussing.

I will definitely be bringing this up tomorrow. :) They've just covered the Mexican War too (same time frame), so it will be a good way to tie them together.

I think many teachers would probably be happy to have parents help cover this section, since the text doesn't provide very much information- as long as they aren't worried you're going to try to "convert" all their students, as treating it as an opportunity to preach would go against public school policies and could get them in trouble. And, of course, if they have the time to cover it in more detail without falling behind on what they are required to cover.

I think as long as it uses the past tense and is as much about the social aspects as anything then it'd be alright.

So the classes went pretty well yesterday. I didn't stumble over anything and think I presented everything fairly well. Some of the kids seemed engaged and interested, others not so much, and some a bit immature, but it was all about what I'd expected.

On the Joseph Smith background the book mentions he started the "Mormon Church" based on "visions", so I told them the actual name of the church, how Joseph had been looking for a church to join along the Bible Belt as a boy, and what his visions entailed- making sure to use the word claimed he saw God the Father and Jesus Christ, and that those who believed his visions were real followed him and saw him to be a prophet.

That led into his death and Brigham Young taking over and leading the trek west, as well as sending out the Mormon Battalion to help with the Mexican War. This was the part that was the point of it being mentioned in the text, but the majority of the kids didn't really seem all that interested in this part at all- until the polygamy got brought up. Though I know its not an entirely correct answer (because we were never really given a "why" behind the polygamy, but I was trying not to give a "because God said so" answer since I wasn't supposed to be teaching religion), I told them it was partially a type of "welfare" program to help the many who'd been widowed due to the hardships of the trek west, and partially to boost the population- and that when Brigham decided to have them ceded into the US instead of their own separate government, he had the practice stopped in order to abide by US laws. Personally, I still feel it was a "correct" answer, because I think that's why God had them practice polygamy then- I just left out the "because God said so" part.

All in all, it went well. Thanks for everybody's thoughts and insights! I wouldn't have thought to bring up Brigham's vision for the Saint's own "Manifest Destiny" or the Mormon Battalion if I hadn't gotten input from people here, and I think that really helped me offer a detailed and succinct look into our little part of history that makes it into the textbooks.

You guys are awesome! Thanks!

He gave me the sheet of questions the students are supposed to answer with their guided reading- I just didn't have time to post them earlier, so here they are:

Who founded the Mormon Church and where did he found the church at?

Where was Joseph Smith killed at?

Another reason to home school - this person is a teacher and ends a sentence with a preposition? Would he accept such language from his students? "Where was Joseph Smith killed at?" Lawd ha' mercy. What's next? Dangling participles?

I'm sorry. I just couldn't let it go.

Another reason to home school - this person is a teacher and ends a sentence with a preposition? Would he accept such language from his students? "Where was Joseph Smith killed at?" Lawd ha' mercy. What's next? Dangling participles?

I'm sorry. I just couldn't let it go.

LOL, I didn't comment on it earlier because I thought that everyone else would think I was picking nits. Actually the quote that struck me as I read it was this one from Sir Winston Churchill, “This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put.”

-RM

Oh, my. I need a laugh button for you three. ^_^

I saw that and some other grammatical errors in his questions and was actually tempted to write them correctly on here, but wanted to present the questions exactly how he'd worded them. He's a history teacher, so I didn't bring it up to him. I cut him some slack. ;) I'm certain though that if some of the English teachers had seen his questions, they would have pestered him about his poor grammar.

Oh, my. I need a laugh button for you three. ^_^

I saw that and some other grammatical errors in his questions and was actually tempted to write them correctly on here, but wanted to present the questions exactly how he'd worded them. He's a history teacher, so I didn't bring it up to him. I cut him some slack. ;) I'm certain though that if some of the English teachers had seen his questions, they would have pestered him about his poor grammar.

I didn't bring up poor grammar to my history teacher either ("to not" appears frequently), even though he would mark down students' papers for their grammar.