Gay Women in the Workforce

HoosierGuy

This might be a hot topic and if it is then the mods can delete it right away. But I'm posting this because I believe it's a serious subject.

The topic is gay women in the workforce. Why is it I hear horror stories from non-gay friends about women who they say act very ruthless and evil in work and nearly every one is a lesbian?

I've worked with only one gay woman (that I know of) and she was kind to me. But I keep hearing horror stories from men and women about "this or that gay woman" who is horrible to work with.

I'm usually against attacks on people because of their sexuality. But I think the states or Federal government better step in. There are some state jobs that heavily attract gay women (female prisons for example). The states need to bust up those gangs.

My friends wife says the gay women hate their lives so they take it out on others. Do others find this to be true?

Busting unions is bad. But the government better take a serious look at the gay woman influence in Federal and state ran institutions. That influence is there and it's not all that healthy.

My husband and I have four lesbian friends, two couples actually. One works at Lowe's, one at AT&T, one is a contractor like my husband and the other is a stay-at-home mother like me. Like with most things, lesbians come in all shapes, colours and attitudes. One of them is certainly a spitfire ;)

Not one of the gay women i know, do or want to, work in a female prison. Most of the ones i know work in office jobs as a matter of fact.

opps I missworded my comment! I meant, by them, the men who fantasize about lesbian women in chains in prisons. Not the women being the ones who fantasize!

I suppose there must be a woman somewhere that does but I dont know them.

Edited by annewandering

Err... Can you quote source where this is a problem, Hoosier?

I've never heard of this particular issue.

Me either. There are three confusing factors I can think of in the manner of report HoosierGuy is talking about (that is to say friends complaining to him):

1) Confirmation bias. His friends aren't noticing all the perfectly pleasant, or at least normal level of unpleasant, lesbians, just the horrible ones.

2) False attribution of sexual orientation. If one is convinced all lesbians are horrible nasty people one is more likely to conclude any nasty horrible woman is a lesbian.

3) Extrapolation. Even if he does have a handful of friends accurately reporting their situations, just how representative is it?

Edited by Dravin

This might be a hot topic and if it is then the mods can delete it right away. But I'm posting this because I believe it's a serious subject.

The topic is gay women in the workforce. Why is it I hear horror stories from non-gay friends about women who they say act very ruthless and evil in work and nearly every one is a lesbian?

I've worked with only one gay woman (that I know of) and she was kind to me. But I keep hearing horror stories from men and women about "this or that gay woman" who is horrible to work with.

I'm usually against attacks on people because of their sexuality. But I think the states or Federal government better step in. There are some state jobs that heavily attract gay women (female prisons for example). The states need to bust up those gangs.

My friends wife says the gay women hate their lives so they take it out on others. Do others find this to be true?

Busting unions is bad. But the government better take a serious look at the gay woman influence in Federal and state ran institutions. That influence is there and it's not all that healthy.

while i'm sure theres a few that can fit the bill theres probably many more who do not. but no I don't have any experience with that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

People love stereotypes because it takes the thought out of the process of trying to get along with people. If one assumes that all lesbians are 'ruthless and evil', then whenever one either meets a mean woman, or is introduced to a lesbian, they don't have to think to react. They automatically decide that the one is forever linked to the other.

It's lazy, selfish, and judgemental.

Like previous commenters, I have known several lesbians and every one of them were great. I mean, they weren't perfect, but I count each of them friends still. In fact the only gay/lesbian kind of person I couldn't get along with was one guy who just wouldn't stop talking about the fact that he's gay, and how gay he is, etc. I was of the attitude, 'okay, you're gay....cool...move on.'