Is it a sin to circumcise?

Darkpaw1

If you are born without arms, you've never had arms, you learn to function without arms and you have no concept of what it would be like to have arms then I guess you really wouldn't be missing out on anything.

If you live in constant pain and you learn to function in spite of that pain and that is your every day life and you have no idea what it's like to live without pain then I guess it's really no big deal and there is no need to make sure your children don't have to live with the same pain.

I'm not saying life doesn't go on and one can't function without it, I'm saying there is a function and you just might function better with it. Educate yourself on the function and then make an informed decision on what you think is best for your child.

I'm sure there are occasions where it is the better choice (one was already mentioned with folks with mental delays). However, one of the things I've been learning is that a lot of the major "issues" couples have to learn to work out when it comes to sexual relations are drastically reduced for couples where the man has not been circumcised. The issues are created because of the circumcision. It's not that couples can't figure things out and have a very satisfying sex life but is it possible that it could be better? If you could give that gift to your children would you?

Well...things seem to be just fine by all accounts. And it's a little late to be giving that sort of gift to my sons or grandsons. So what's the point of investigating it any further? We can't exactly change what's been done.

Well...things seem to be just fine by all accounts. And it's a little late to be giving that sort of gift to my sons or grandsons. So what's the point of investigating it any further? We can't exactly change what's been done.

While my husband and I are against circumcision, the subject is a decision between both parents and if they believe it's in the best interest of their children, I respect that.

I was a pediatric nurse for many years and assisted with many circumcisions. Many babies slept through the procedure. I couldn't go so far as to say it's barbaric. Most of the time it was no big deal and the end result left the young man with far fewer chances of infection, STDs, etc.in his future. My husband, sons and now two grandsons are circumcised. No regrets.

I have experienced two circumcisions. The first was on myself, which I don't remember. The second was on my oldest son, which I remember all too well. It was a horrific, barbaric procedure that left my poor baby screaming in pain and fright. My other three sons are not circumcised.

At one point, my second son had a series of yeast infections that left him bleeding and in pain, not much different from a woman's yeast infection. After several months, we got it cleared up. I asked him a few years later if he wished he had been circumcised like his older brother to prevent such an infection. He looked at me in astonishment and said, Of course not.

If, as adults, my younger sons want to cut off the ends of their penises, they may do so with no regard to my wishes. In any case, they won't have had their penises mutilated as infants by their father's consent, as did their older brother.

You can change future generations. You can't undo your own circumcision or that already done to your sons, but you can stop the mutilation of future generations.

I hate to say this ;) but I agree entirely with vort on the above post. That was going to be my reply to your question carli.

I understand and agree that the damage has been done and there is nothing I can do to give that gift to my sons. But when the time is right, I can discuss my decision and my later education with my sons and their wife and let them make the informed decision I didn't make. If they still choose to do it then that is their choice and I can rest at night knowing they knew what they were doing. My hope is that they will break the cycle and make a better decision than I did. Either way it's an informed one which is the only gift I can give them at this point.

My comments here aren't to condemn anyone (if I did I would be condemning myself), or to tell anyone what to do. My comments are to get folks thinking to do the research and be educated. It's not about judgment but informed decisions. Knowledge is the power.

Yes, being informed is important but at the end of the day, it's a personal choice between parents and is none of my business. With Carli being a nurse involved in circumcisions, I have no doubt she's educated on the issue. Perhaps she has regrets. Perhaps she doesn't. People will raise their children the way they deem best, whether or not I (or anyone else) agrees.

As someone who has no strong feeling either way, I'll just point out the following:

a) there are no really good studies the compare the differences between circumcised and uncircumcised males. The difficulties in accounting for the sources of variation are nearly impossible to unravel. The only two study designs that could really settle the question would be a randomized trial (which is unethical) or a pre-post design in adults (which will lack sufficient power to come to solid conclusions).

b) Of the studies that we do have, it is clear that the differences are not very large at the population level. However, on the individual level, there is significant perception of difference.

c) At the very best, circumcision can only cause no harm. Without any clear medical benefit, the American Academy of Pediatrics has publicly stated that circumcision is an unnecessary procedure that can be done safely, but poses an unnecessary risk; they neither oppose nor support circumcision, but just barely stop short of opposing it.

Funny that I don't consider circumcision barbaric but I can't tolerate or understand piercing baby girls ears. That seems so unnecessary and heartless.

I used to feel that way, circumcision no big deal and ear piercing to be senseless.... but I had never put them in the same line of thought, they were two separate things. Once I did I saw how hypocritical and illogical that was.

It's not ok to put a small hole in my daughters ears, a hole that does not remove nerve endings and does not change the function of her ears... but it's ok to remove thousands of nerve endings and change the function of my son's genitals?????? Not my best expression of my intelligence or my proudest moment. But that's just how I felt about it.