Is Polygamy bad for Society

MarginOfError

Polygamy is something from the stone age/dark ages when people were dying left and right before their 20th/30th birthday. There might have been a time when it was important to repopulate your village/clan and that was the most important thing. Considering the number of fertility gods in the ancient world, it was very important. So back then polygamy might have been needed.

Modern day polygamy - all about lust and nothing more.

Somehow this scripture envisions in me a group of women who band together in the millennium and who basically say that should any one of them win a man's heart, before she'll let him marry her, he'll have to agree to marry all of her sisters as well. Now there's a situation where a man may get far more than he bargained for...

i take this a step further. i somehow see(what with men usually being the ones that cheat and end a marriage) a band a women friends who got unfaithful husbands in this life but our otherwise worthy of eternal life banding together and saying Please Lord marry us all off to one person or none of us. to which a lonely man where the wife cheated says Yes Lord do that please.

i see a lot match making on judgement day going down

all and all i see a lot of polygomy going down on judgement day as i suspect there will be a lopsided amount of worthy girls that got cheated on compared to worthy men that got cheated on and had temple marriages broken. with the only way to guarantee all those that are worthy getting eternal life is polygomy. i also dont think people will be complaining since you require at least one spouse to get eternal life and when the option is marry a stranger and get eternal life or get stuck as angel forever....i know i'd take the stranger heck i'd take an infinite number of strangers if i had too regardless of personal preference what with eternal life being on the line and all.

personally on earth though im rather glad. i prefer(and argueably cause that is how i was raised) but one man one wife but in the next life i'd take on extra wives if it meant they got their just reward of eternal life and i'd hope my orginal wife would be a kind soul on the matter too.

inb4imahorndogthatwantslotsofwomen

Modern day polygamy - all about lust and nothing more.

Absolutely agreed!

You don't see those who practice it today offering marriage to crippled, maimed, disfigured, handicapped or visually less blessed women whose chances of being married in this life are less than others now do you?

Edited by Martain

Absolutely agreed!

You don't see those who practice it today offering marriage to crippled, maimed, disfigured, handicapped or visually less blessed women whose chances of being married in this life are less than others now do you?

But at the same time, the idea of polygamy is to prosper and with what you've listed, I don't classify any of that as beneficial. In my previous post on this thread I talked about a program covered in Africa by National Geographics, these people are poor (in comparison to how we live), and yet those considered well-off married only those that could bare children and contribute to household chores and labour duties outside (like farming etc). A woman that cannot bare children, or is missing a leg, or is blind, is not the kind of wife wanted in such polygamous arrangements. Fair or not.

Which kind of society? the english, the muslim, the hebrew, the elite society or the impoverished society, or other society? By what do you measure succsess?

Human society. I measure success in families when the next generation lives with love and compassion for each other. Having to move somewhere else (especially out of fear) - I do not consider success. How do you measure success in families and societies?

The Traveler

It is my belief that polygamy was not understood correctly by our forefathers any more than it is understood correctly currently. It seems obvious to me reading the posts that most have preconceived concepts that would be most difficult to change.

I posted that I have learned a lot from my great-grandfather's journal. One thing he suggested is that being a righteous polygamist comes only through willingness to live "perfect" before G-d in your generation - what-ever that means. From discussions concerning being "perfect" - we do not seem to understand that concept real well either. Mostly we are convinced that no one is perfect - and as Yoda said to Luke - "That is why you fail".

One thing for sure - when we do not understand something - it is better that we remain critical of it. And that is my stand. I do not understand polygamy - I admit it openly. But as much as I do not understand -- I am not getting the impression that anyone else understands polygamy any better than I do - so good luck - if anyone comes up with something intelligent send me a message or e-mail - so I do not miss it. Thanks

The Traveler