Study Notebook at LDS.org

applepansy

I found this Study Notbook at lds.org this morning. I'm excited to learn how to use it. Our Stake's goals this year are for each of us to read an unmarked copy of the Book of Mormon and record our thoughts, impressions and experiences in a journal. I'm excited to see if the Study Notebook will be helpful for me.

Introduction to Study Notebook

Has anyone had any experience with this resource?

I use it all the time, started last year with BoM and making journal entries. It made it very easy for me to give a talk a month ago in sacrament meeting...I looked up a journal entry and added a few things and was done with the talk.

I am now re-reading the BoM and reading the D&C this year. My study notebook there is quite full of notes and stuff I have written and made cross references too.

How is Study Notebook better than writing notes in your scripture margins?

I don't use it but what comes to mind is:

1) It's searchable.

2) It's more delible than ink (or even pencil) is in your margins.

3) More room for notes, particularly for those with larger or sloppy handwriting.

Personally I doubt I'll use it unless I own a tablet or something. Particularly since for some reason I think better with a pencil in hand than with a keyboard at hand.

The biggest thing for me is that I can apply tags to my notes. For instance, if I use the online study notebook to study leadership principles, I can tag all of those notes "leadership." When I got back 6 months later and teach a lesson on leadership, I only need to open the notebook, click on the "leadership" tag, and everything I've studied--all the notes, journal entries, and cross references--pops right up

I also found it nice when I read Rough Stone Rolling to put long quotations from RSR into my study notebook in the sections of the D&C that dealt with the School of the Prophets. These quotations were too long to write in the margins, and while I could have given a page reference to RSR, that would have meant getting out a second book to look up what I thought was a helpful commentary. With the notebook, it's all stored together.

Oddly enough, however, I do most of my reading in book format. When I find something of which I'd like to make a note, I usually write it on paper until I can get to the computer to transcribe it.

The searchable feature is what I see as useful right off the bat. The other think I like about it is the availability of cross referencing conference talks.

Added:

Thank you everyone for your replies. Does anyone have any tips?

Edited by applepansy

Personally I also hope and think that a day will come when you can turn over reading access of your entire my journal to other users or descendants. What did grandfather think about such and such particular doctrine?

It can also be used as a place to write journals which is useful too.