This question has me totally stumped!

MarginOfError

Would you recommend an iPod Touch or a Kindle Fire?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend an iPod Touch or a Kindle Fire?

• iPod Touch
    • Kindle Fire
    • Other (Please specify in thread)

Sometime this year I'm going to buy either an iPod Touch or a Kindle Fire. I'm really having a hard time making the decision. What do you guys think

So far, my pros and cons are

iPod Pros

Great for calendar and contacts

fits in my pocket

Google voice app lets me use it as a cell phone with a Wi-Fi signal

Facetime

Good size for taking out scout trips to have med and emergency info available (stored on the device, not using the web)

iPod cons

Very difficult for web browsing

Not a good tool to assist me in teaching

Kindle Fire Pros

Better e-reading format

Large enough that I could use it to assist in teaching classes (using lds.org study notebook)

More convenient web browsing

Kindle Fire Cons

A little too big to take on campouts

Probably can't use as a substitute for a phone

Can't be carried in my pocket.

I have a Kindle Fire and love it. If you get a cover for it, you should be able to take it camping--and it would fit in a larger coat pocket. It's true that you cannot use it as a telephone, but web-browsing is pretty good. Also, I broke my glasses, and while I'm waiting on new ones, it's great to have an e-reader that does large fonts.

Well, I work at a library. I have a lot of patrons that call and are having problems downloading ebooks to their kindles. They bring their kindle to the library for help, they email, and they usually call later. They prefer our app to their kindle app for one thing, and they have trouble with a lot of the features on the kindle. Rarely a day goes by without someone having kindle issues.

I have never had one problem with a patron using an ipad/ipod.

We got a tablet for my hubby to use at church and it is awesome, it's a dell 7" tablet. It was cheaper than the fire, and has all the android apps, he has his church calendar, scriptures, handbooks, etc. on it. It does ebooks obviously, and youtube videos, etc. He can check his email and everything.

I have both! We have an iPod touch 2nd generation and 4th generation. We just bought a Kindle fire at the end of November.

The first thing I noticed is that you listed as a con of the iPod touch as difficult for web browsing. I disagree. If I need to looks something up I always prefer the iPod. The kindle is very...quirky. Some pages it won't let you scroll. I can't scroll through lds.net on the kindle. It loads, but once in a thread it won't scroll. It's a problem with their operating system. I'm hoping it gets resolved. It doesn't surprise me seeing as how new the kindle fires are. The screen is smaller on the iPod, but it has better resolution. So, lets say I want to look up a phone number and I need to hurry because I'm going out the door. I'll use the iPod. It loads faster, and is extremely smooth running.

Lets say I want to look at pictures of... french bulldogs. On the kindle, the pictures won't be as good of resolution. On the ipod, the pictures of smaller because of the screen but I can flip through them very quickly (no waiting for loading) unlike the kindle.

I love watching netflix on the Kindle. The screen is perfect. The built in speakers don't get very loud, though are adequate if I'm in a totally quite room (as if). The screen resolution isn't as good, which my husband notices, but I do not.

There are lots of apps for calendars and notes for the kindle, many of which are free. What the kindle doesn't come with, it's easy to get an app for, and even though it only has 8gb of storage, it's been more than enough for me, even with 50 books on there.

I LOVE the kindle forthe books. I've read 29 books since I got it. I've spent less than $5. There are tons of free books! Reading it is very enjoyable. It can be hard to read it outside, but inside, even by a sunny window, is very enjoyable. It links directly to amazon where you can easily filter the choices to find books you may like. You also get a month of free shipping from amazon when you get the kindle touch.

We use the camera on the ipod about every day. It takes videos very well, picks up sound great. IT works very well on skype. You can use it as a phone very easily.

If I had to choose only one, I'd pick the iPod. The Ipod works better. The kindle is very glitchy. I love our Kindle, but if I didn't read tons of books with it, I wouldn't be interested in it. I don't like reading on the Ipod. The camera on the Ipod is probably one of it's most used features for us, especially since we have kids.

MOE, first of all, you are comparing apples to oranges.

The iPod Touch is for a completely different purpose than a Kindle Fire.

And, the Kindle Fire is a different purpose than an iPad.

So, before you can start comparing, you first have to figure out exactly what functionality (purpose of the machine) you are looking for then you can decide which is the best machine for that purpose.

Look at it this way - it's like you want to decide between a Haier dorm fridge and a Subzero side-by-side fridge. Which one is better? Well - if you want to use it in a dorm, you don't want the Subzero regardless of how much better the Subzero is and what bells and whistles it has. Make sense?

So, the purpose of the Kindle Fire is first and foremost an eReader with internet capabilities. Kindle Fire competes head-to-head with Barnes and Noble's Nook Tablet. The size, maneuverability, etc., lends to its efficiency as an eReader. Everything else is a perk. And it is priced as an eReader.

The iPod Touch is an iPhone without the phone. Everything about it lends to its pocket-ability including its web browsing functions. It is not "more difficult to surf" than the Fire - it is a different surfing experience than the Fire because of its pocket-ability. It is pretty easy, even. The screen is small - of course. It's a dorm fridge... it's not designed to fit the Thanksgiving turkey. It is almost useless as an eReader.

The iPad (and all its head-to-head android competitors) is the most versatile . It is the Touch with the eReader and everything else. But, you can't put it in your pocket and you'll have to pay an arm and possibly a leg for it. But, it is designed to be very versatile because... there's an app for almost everything you want to do.

Any one of those can be taken camping. Because... there's an Otterbox for that. :)

Edited by anatess

I use a Samsung Galaxy 5.0......fits nicely in my coat pocket. At 5 inches its bigger than an IPOD and smaller than an IPAD. Works for me....

Those Samsung Galaxies are nice and come in various sizes (for tablets). Second to that, I'd go with a Kindle Fire, it's gotten fantastic reviews and is much more affordable.

I hate iTunes with the passion of a thousand firey suns.

Yeah, well, who doesn't? That said, as much as I detest Apple and do an anti-Apple mini lecture in my policy class, I have an iTouch and an iPad.

OP, if you have the bucks, get both. I use the iTouch when I need to have something small and the iPad for teaching, reading PDFs, editing my papers, watching Netflix movies, and reading on Kindle - which is super great by the way. I just bought another Kindle book, and have bought maybe 10 in the past 2 months. I thought I'd want a book in my hands, but no. I can go back and forth among books and I don't have to lug stuff all over with me.

We looked into a Fire for my son in grad school, but it didn't seem as useful for school as we initially thought. We'll get him an iPad at some point.

iPad is the best of all.

But $$$$$$. Worth it though.

I have the IPad, old style Kindle, and an iPhone. They all have their niche and I carry all three when I travel.

Big deal about the Kindle (regular) is battery life on long plane flights. And at my age staring at a lit screen is no fun after a while. iPhone for total handyness, and iPad is convenient computer substitute, magazine subscriptions, and it's a real good size for temporary computer use. I have an optional bluetooth keyboard for when I must use it for any "heavy" functions. I use AT&T for my iPhone because I travel overseas from the US a lot, and the phone usage is seamless. The other companies don't use the universal international protocol.

If I didn't want to spend the $$$ for an iPad, I'd get the Kindle Fire. Several relatives have it, and within its limitations, it's excellent.

Edited by mrmarklin

iTunes alone is sufficient to keep me from buying an iPod for myself. So anyone who puts up with iTunes to use their Apple gizmo may dislike it but their loathing falls short.

Apple user and I haaate iTunes. Once I upgrade, I ain't staying with iThis or iThat.

There's a brand new technology that can be carried anywhere, doesn't require electricity and can be flipped freely from the front to the back and anywhere in between with great alacrity. There is a 0% bug count on these devices, can be attractively showcased in any home and have a shelf life much higher than any Kindle or iJamacallit.

The new technology is called 'Books' in layman's terms.

Edited by FunkyTown

The new technology is called 'Books' in layman's terms.

How long does it take you to build the fire so you can send a smoke signal "text" to someone?

But, I hear ya about inferior technology. I'm hoping to become righteous enough to get one of those "white stone" things that have been promised and be done with updates.....