Susan Powell Saga Continues and Continues

Just_A_Guy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The news about what the father did to the boys (I'll let those interested look it up) is horrific. Just when you think you've heard it all...

After the initial horror, I realized he was probably, in his own demented way, trying to be less cruel to the kids than simple ... well you get the picture.

Then again he may have thought if the kids were screaming they might get rescued.

I suspect I truly hate this man.

After reading the most recent reports...all I can picture is one of the boys had to watch his brother. I don't know if I've had a story affect me as much as this one has in a long time.

My only consolation is those boys are with their mother now and their father is for sure not in the same place.

After reading the most recent reports...all I can picture is one of the boys had to watch his brother. I don't know if I've had a story affect me as much as this one has in a long time.

My only consolation is those boys are with their mother now and their father is for sure not in the same place.

I was thinking the same thing about the boys watching.....horrible!

When I read the news two days ago, I almost threw up. I have avoided commenting on this thread because it seems utterly useless. I have nothing constructive to add; anything I might say would at best be superfluous, and at worst destructive.

I think the world is no worse now than it ever has been. In many measurable ways, I think the world is better now than it ever has been. But I get tired, emotionally, of fighting those who seek to normalize filth and perversion and spread hatred. The homosexual lobby insists that not only is homosexuality itself "natural" and "beautiful", but that homosexuals should be allowed, indeed encouraged, to parent children, and that anyone who disagrees with them is at best benighted and ignorant, and more likely a horrible bigot. Feminists have preached since my childhood that all men are rapists, that men as a sex should be excluded and, as far as possible, disenfranchised from society, and the traditional family done away with as a relic of a less enlightened age. These things are bad enough; as the Lord said, "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Then something like the Josh Powell affair comes along, and it's a whole other depth of depravity and hatefulness. I have no answers. Not one. I don't even know how to feel toward Josh Powell. If I feel outrage toward the homosexual lobby and contempt toward the male-hating feminists, how am I to feel about Josh Powell?

On one level, this is a lesson to me that perhaps I should be tempering my feelings toward those other groups, even if I see them as destroying the very fabric of our society; they are people who, unlike Josh Powell, are (we may assume) at least trying to do the right thing, however misguided their thinking may be. But on another level, I feel completely at loose ends.

In my youth, I (like many others) harbored a secret idea that, perhaps, the atonement of Christ was so infinitely far-reaching that even Satan himself would perhaps one day be redeemed. Can't we just all get along? Why destroy a soul for all eternity? Surely the erstwhile Lucifer would eventually see his sin and folly and seek for redemption -- and then would not the Savior's arms encircle him?

As I came into my adulthood, I learned to see the folly of this absurdly naive idea. I learned about Satan. I learned that he is a being who actively rejects, hates, and eternally fights against the light of God. He craves power over the souls of men. He craves honor and status he cannot possibly merit. And he willingly, gladly, excitedly works toward the destruction of the souls of men as his currency to accomplish this end. His minion, the murderer Cain, was called "Master Mahan" because he was "the master of this great secret, that I may murder to get gain". In other words: Human life is a fungible commodity, like oil or barley or tin; and like those things, human life can be converted into personal power in the form of money and/or status and/or position.

No Godly person would ever think this, much less embrace it. Human life and existence is far beyond price; as Brigham Young taught: "The least, the most inferior spirit now upon the earth, in our capacity, is worth worlds." Think of it! Any human soul -- any one -- is worth far more in an eternal sense than the rest of our entire world, and worlds like it.

Even Josh Powell.

Yet Josh Powell appears to have desired to go the route of becoming the master of the great secret. He craved power through trafficking in human life -- namely, he wanted power to reshape his present by disposing of the inconvenient life of his wife. When it blew up in his face, then he traded the lives of HIS OWN CHILDREN in an act that looks for all the world like pure spite.

How can one react to such a thing? There are no words. There is no feeling deep enough. Do we rejoice in the thought of Josh Powell suffering an interminable eternity of hellish burning -- the same kind of punishment that so many unChristian "Christians" happily tell us will be our lot as Latter-day Saints? That really is not the person I wish to be. More directly, I find no comfort in the idea of Josh Powell suffering without end. I see no benefit to his murdered wife or his butchered children. I see no alleviation of the pain of the survivors. The only possible resolution of pain that I can see is in Christ, because outside of him, there surely cannot be any small speck of justice in the matter.

So I'll leave the disposition of Josh Powell and his unspeakable crimes to the Lord, and trust in Jesus' redemption that his murdered family will find joy and redemption at some point in their progression. Meanwhile, I'm left with a chasm in the pit of my stomach and a confusion about this topic that makes me avoid most any mention of it, except when I try to purge my mind by vomiting out some weak attempt to make sense of it, to put it into an understandable perspective and fit it into my view of the world and how things work.

I suppose I'll go ahead and post this in case it resonates with anyone else, but I don't expect any response. I'm not really adding to the conversation, just saying my piece.

When I read the news two days ago, I almost threw up. I have avoided commenting on this thread because it seems utterly useless. I have nothing constructive to add; anything I might say would at best be superfluous, and at worst destructive.

I think the world is no worse now than it ever has been. In many measurable ways, I think the world is better now than it ever has been. But I get tired, emotionally, of fighting those who seek to normalize filth and perversion and spread hatred. The homosexual lobby insists that not only is homosexuality itself "natural" and "beautiful", but that homosexuals should be allowed, indeed encouraged, to parent children, and that anyone who disagrees with them is at best benighted and ignorant, and more likely a horrible bigot. Feminists have preached since my childhood that all men are rapists, that men as a sex should be excluded and, as far as possible, disenfranchised from society, and the traditional family done away with as a relic of a less enlightened age. These things are bad enough; as the Lord said, "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Then something like the Josh Powell affair comes along, and it's a whole other depth of depravity and hatefulness. I have no answers. Not one. I don't even know how to feel toward Josh Powell. If I feel outrage toward the homosexual lobby and contempt toward the male-hating feminists, how am I to feel about Josh Powell?

On one level, this is a lesson to me that perhaps I should be tempering my feelings toward those other groups, even if I see them as destroying the very fabric of our society; they are people who, unlike Josh Powell, are (we may assume) at least trying to do the right thing, however misguided their thinking may be. But on another level, I feel completely at loose ends.

In my youth, I (like many others) harbored a secret idea that, perhaps, the atonement of Christ was so infinitely far-reaching that even Satan himself would perhaps one day be redeemed. Can't we just all get along? Why destroy a soul for all eternity? Surely the erstwhile Lucifer would eventually see his sin and folly and seek for redemption -- and then would not the Savior's arms encircle him?

As I came into my adulthood, I learned to see the folly of this absurdly naive idea. I learned about Satan. I learned that he is a being who actively rejects, hates, and eternally fights against the light of God. He craves power over the souls of men. He craves honor and status he cannot possibly merit. And he willingly, gladly, excitedly works toward the destruction of the souls of men as his currency to accomplish this end. His minion, the murderer Cain, was called "Master Mahan" because he was "the master of this great secret, that I may murder to get gain". In other words: Human life is a fungible commodity, like oil or barley or tin; and like those things, human life can be converted into personal power in the form of money and/or status and/or position.

No Godly person would ever think this, much less embrace it. Human life and existence is far beyond price; as Brigham Young taught: "The least, the most inferior spirit now upon the earth, in our capacity, is worth worlds." Think of it! Any human soul -- any one -- is worth far more in an eternal sense than the rest of our entire world, and worlds like it.

Even Josh Powell.

Yet Josh Powell appears to have desired to go the route of becoming the master of the great secret. He craved power through trafficking in human life -- namely, he wanted power to reshape his present by disposing of the inconvenient life of his wife. When it blew up in his face, then he traded the lives of HIS OWN CHILDREN in an act that looks for all the world like pure spite.

How can one react to such a thing? There are no words. There is no feeling deep enough. Do we rejoice in the thought of Josh Powell suffering an interminable eternity of hellish burning -- the same kind of punishment that so many unChristian "Christians" happily tell us will be our lot as Latter-day Saints? That really is not the person I wish to be. More directly, I find no comfort in the idea of Josh Powell suffering without end. I see no benefit to his murdered wife or his butchered children. I see no alleviation of the pain of the survivors. The only possible resolution of pain that I can see is in Christ, because outside of him, there surely cannot be any small speck of justice in the matter.

So I'll leave the disposition of Josh Powell and his unspeakable crimes to the Lord, and trust in Jesus' redemption that his murdered family will find joy and redemption at some point in their progression. Meanwhile, I'm left with a chasm in the pit of my stomach and a confusion about this topic that makes me avoid most any mention of it, except when I try to purge my mind by vomiting out some weak attempt to make sense of it, to put it into an understandable perspective and fit it into my view of the world and how things work.

I suppose I'll go ahead and post this in case it resonates with anyone else, but I don't expect any response. I'm not really adding to the conversation, just saying my piece.

Wow. I have seldom read anything that so touched my heart so directly. Finally I see into your soul Vort and I am speechless. Thank you so much for posting this especially since I know you were reluctant to do so.

Vort, Thank you. You put into words what I've been struggling to organize in my own mind. I haven't seen much of the news since Sunday night because of family things. Then yesterday while I was at my sister's she mentioned the case and then told me about what the autopsy said. I couldn't speak. I just put my face in my hands and sat there for several minutes.

Josh has done the unspeakable. But at some point he was somebody's little boy. I will never understand how a sweet innocent child can grow up and do something this horrible. I worry constantly for my sister and her boys. She was married to a man like Josh Powell. When the judge first ordered shared custody we were all upset, but she feels that the shared custody has kept her and the children safe. Even though a year ago he tried to run her off the road.... and she had her oldest son with her.

I just cannot wrap my mind around how someone can become so evil.

Seems to me the title of this thread needs to be changed. The saga just continues and continues and continues.

I was thinking the same thing, Pam. Its probably going to be like the Kennedy Assassination, at least till Susan's body is found and probably after that.

I admit to be interested in what happens and understand, completely, why every bit and piece of information is headlined. It's a crazy case.

Hidden

I think it's a bit premature to blame DCFS. We don't know what the courts ordered as far as the specifics to the supervised visits. Even Josh's attorney states he never saw anything like this coming. Many are always quick to blame DCFS instead of putting blame where it really lies. And in this case it's with Josh.

Pam, my concern with DCFS in this and other cases is this: If there is a reason for supervised visitation then it should never ever be at the home of the supervised parent. Some states understand this and take appropriate steps to have visits at neutral locations.

I do not blame the social worker who took the boys for the visitation. My heart is breaking for her. I can't imagine living with the memories of what she had to have heard before the house burned.