New Scriptures, new pencils

jerome1232

I just got a brand new set of scriptures, and some brand new colored pencils.

I just marked up Genesis Chapter 1 last night and it was fun! This is the first time I've really gone through the scriptures like this in a very long time. Right now I'm just circling superscripts the pertain to HEB, GR, IE, OR entries in the footnotes, and with TG suggestions. Jotted down a few notes in the margins about the creation. and shaded in some key words that pertained to my margin notes.

Does anyone have some tips on how to study/annotate as I go along?

Edited by jerome1232

This is why I can't lose my 10-year-old scriptures. I don't want to have to go through transferring all the markings and notes!

The way I've done it was write notes as things gets discussed in Sunday School/Relief Society.

I have two little booklets on suggestions. One suggested assigning colors to topics. I liked the other idea of using red for anything where Heavenly Father or Christ is actually speaking.

I used to underline now I draw a box around the verse or I draw a circle around the number.

If you color code by topic make a key and tape or glue it to the inside front cover.

Our Stake goals this year are for everyone to read an unmarked copy of the BoM and journal our feelings. This gives us a fresh view without the distraction of our previous thoughts. When I was volunteering at the temple I took an unmarked triple with me. It is amazing what pops out at you when there is nothing to distract you. I bought a new Quad on sale this past year and I'm not going to mark it.

Another way is to type up notes or thoughts or quotes. Use a small font and cut it out with a large margin on one side. Then use a glue stick and run a little glue down the edge with the bigger margin. This can then be slipped in between the pages where it applies. You need very little glue, just enough that they don't fall out if you drop or tip your scriptures.

Enjoy!!!

I don't mark in my scriptures; I've always been a little uncomfortable doing so, not just because their scriptures, but because I can't stand marking in any book. I just bought a new leather Bible and Triple and it came to nearly 100 dollars. I'm going to keep them completely unmarked.

For me, I usually have a small notebook that I jot thoughts and scriptural passages, but whatever works. I find markings unsightly, others find them very helpful.

I just marked up Genesis Chapter 1 last night and it was fun! This is the first time I've really gone through the scriptures like this in a very long time. Right now I'm just circling superscripts the pertain to HEB, GR, IE, OR entries in the footnotes, and with TG suggestions. Jotted down a few notes in the margins about the creation. and shaded in some key words that pertained to my margin notes.

Genesis chapter 1 ay. What is your thought about the order of creation - how the earth got plants with seeds and trees with fruit before there was a sun or moon?

The Traveler

I thought about that, but you also note that there was light on day 1. Now if you read in Moses it says "...Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven, to divide the day from the night, and let them be for signs,..." Could it be referring only to the distant stars? In Abraham it is much the same as in Moses. Either way it is clear there is light from day 1, regardless of if there is a sun or not.

What I am unsure of is how to interpret there being light before the stars, sun and moon. Perhaps emanating from God himself? Perhaps some other natural phenomena?

I don't mark in my scriptures; I've always been a little uncomfortable doing so, not just because their scriptures, but because I can't stand marking in any book. I just bought a new leather Bible and Triple and it came to nearly 100 dollars. I'm going to keep them completely unmarked.

For me, I usually have a small notebook that I jot thoughts and scriptural passages, but whatever works. I find markings unsightly, others find them very helpful.

In your case, I would strongly recommend the online study notebook at lds.org.

well i suggest color coding

for instance i use blue to indicate physical ssettings, such as places, distances, certain events and etc...

I use pink for things that stand out and yellow for things that strike me real strongly or for christs teachings

I use green for priesthood and direct commandments.

I also like to put up a short line at the top of the page that sums up the page, if it has significance for me.

I also use different ways of highlighting to indicate subvariations... such as bracketing the verse, underlining, circling, and full highlighting.

Edited by Blackmarch

Do you also identify palindromic features such as "dog god", "croc orc", and "live evil"?

When we're having family scripture study, I'll read the emoticons also.

Luke 2:4

And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judæa, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) (pause for a bright, beaming smile to everyone)

Luke 2:23

(As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;) (look up from reading and give emphatic wink with accompanying "WINK!")

But to answer your question, No, I don't identify palindromic features. What kind of a weirdo do you take me for?

When I took "Bible as Lit" from Brother Bob Thomas at BYU, he had us buy the Cambridge edition of the Bible. Hard cover, good margins, easy to take notes.

I think it was a good choice to break us away from our usual views of scripture and allow us to approach it as literature. But, descendent of Anne Hutchinson that I am, I think we should all approach the Bible on our own and not be dependent on what others have thought about it. And the Cambridge Bible is good for that, too.

(See my novel, I Isaac, if I ever finish the rewrite.)

When we're having family scripture study, I'll read the emoticons also.

But to answer your question, No, I don't identify palindromic features. What kind of a weirdo do you take me for?

Can I just say I adore you? And if you tell anyone I said that I will of course deny it. :lol:

Another thing i like doing is using the neon scripture markers to write right on top of the verses themselves if i need more writing room... That way i can read both the verse as well as the note about it.

They don't bleed through? Are they a specific type/make of marker?

They don't bleed through? Are they a specific type/make of marker?

they don't or at least not enough to be very noticeable. they probably are but i havent checked the brand lol... altho they've gone through quite a bit of use, so they don't put out as much ink as when they were new and that may also have something to do about not having bleed through.

I think the markers sold as book (or bettter, scripture) highlighters don't tend to have as much bleed though.

Edit: my markers say sanford on them.. Dunno if that helps.

Oh and another thing i remembered that can be helpful- sticky notes... You can put these in the scriptures withe the sticky strip in towards the spine, and theyll stay in for a long time.

Edited by Blackmarch

I have to admit that marking up scriptures still sounds strange to me. The idea of writing in a book just sets my teeth on edge.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, it is just something I never encountered before. Do other Protestant groups do this, because I never saw a Catholic Missal marked up.

I have to admit that marking up scriptures still sounds strange to me. The idea of writing in a book just sets my teeth on edge.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, it is just something I never encountered before. Do other Protestant groups do this, because I never saw a Catholic Missal marked up.

It may have to do with how you view the scriptures. Those who come from traditions where you kiss the Bible before you open it may tend to view the physical book itself as a sacred object. In such a case, it would hardly be surprising to find an aversion to writing in the book of scripture; it would perhaps be analogous to the view many Latter-day Saints hold of tattooing one's body.

Most Latter-day Saints tend to view their scriptures as an extension of their mind. The book itself should be treated with respect, of course, but primarily because of the symbolism involved (and because it's too expensive to keep replacing them). In this view, writing notes in the margins of your scriptures is not only acceptable, it would be somewhat unreasonable to refuse to do so. We are told to record our revelations; how better to do so than to write them in the margins right beside the verse that prompted the revelation or insight?

If you're willing to give scripture marking a try, I would suggest you buy yourself an inexpensive set of scriptures to read and mark up for the next two or three years. When you have settled on a scripture marking system that you find usable and meaningful, get yourself a more permanent copy and start marking.

Or just use the lds.org scripture note-taking facility...