Tradition

Connie

What do non-LDS Christians mean when they talk about Tradition? I’ve also seen it referred to as sacred tradition or holy tradition. Does it depend on one’s denomination? What is it? Why is it important?

Please forgive my ignorance. I welcome any comments on this topic.

What do non-LDS Christians mean when they talk about Tradition? I’ve also seen it referred to as sacred tradition or holy tradition. Does it depend on one’s denomination? What is it? Why is it important?

I mainly only hear "sacred tradition" or "holy tradition" mentioned by Catholic and Orthodox Christians. Unlike other mainstream Christians, they don't believe in Sola Scriptora (that the Bible is all that is needed to know and understand the Bible), but rather, there is also Tradition, which started in the very first days of the Church (because remember, they believe THEY are the Church Christ established, and that there was never any apostasy or need for "Reformation" OR "Restoration"). They believe that Christ did literally "set up" His Church, and that the traditions of the Sacraments (Eucharist, Baptism, Marriage, Reconcilliation, etc.) and the ceremonies surrounding their observance, come from those very early roots. They're not spelled out in the Bible (which is why some Christian denominations don't consider Catholic or Orthodox "true" Christians, because they have "extra-Biblical" practices), but they DO come from God, in their belief, because Christ and His original Apostles were the ones who set those traditions into motion. (at least, that's my understanding of their view of "Holy Tradition". I may be off)

The idea of Tradition is different based on if you are Catholic/Orthodox and Protestant.

In the Catholic Church, the Church stands on three 'legs' :: The Bible, Tradition, and the Magesterium (the priesthood essentially). The Church does not hold to sola scriptura in the way Protestants do.

Tradition is what is handed down through the generations, not necessarily by writings. The New Testament mentions following the teachings of church leaders, whether written down or spoken; and also mentions that not everything that there was to know was written down. The Catholic Church has always taken this to mean that The Bible is important in faith and learning, but there are other beliefs that might not be completely spelled out in its words. This Tradition is protected by the Holy Spirit and passed down through the generations. The leadership of the Church is also protected by the Holy Spirit in matters of dogma. (If a pope declares something ex cathedra, then he is seen to be infallible; similar to the way in which an LSD prophet can speak on behalf of the church with continuing revelation.)

Protestants are mostly sola scriptura believers, and so do not hold that Tradition is relevent to faith. Some even go so far as to say Catholic Tradition is no more than man's traditions, lower case 't' and that they are heretical. A Protestant will look at the 2,000 years of Christian scholarship and theology to support his beliefs, but will not hold to having a Tradition.

Although it is important to note that the three 'legs' of Catholicism cannot oppose any other, and must be in harmony. For instance, a pope cannot declare that Jesus never rose from the grave, because it is expressly written in the Bible. And no Tradition can contradict the Bible as well (there is a Biblical basis for *every* Catholic belief, even ones other churches do not believe in, such as the Immaculate Conception), even though they might not be *expressly written* in the Bible.

This is a great question, and one that can be talked about in depth. This is just my basic description.

I mainly only hear "sacred tradition" or "holy tradition" mentioned by Catholic and Orthodox Christians. Unlike other mainstream Christians, they don't believe in Sola Scriptora (that the Bible is all that is needed to know and understand the Bible), but rather, there is also Tradition, which started in the very first days of the Church (because remember, they believe THEY are the Church Christ established, and that there was never any apostasy or need for "Reformation" OR "Restoration"). They believe that Christ did literally "set up" His Church, and that the traditions of the Sacraments (Eucharist, Baptism, Marriage, Reconcilliation, etc.) and the ceremonies surrounding their observance, come from those very early roots. They're not spelled out in the Bible (which is why some Christian denominations don't consider Catholic or Orthodox "true" Christians, because they have "extra-Biblical" practices), but they DO come from God, in their belief, because Christ and His original Apostles were the ones who set those traditions into motion. (at least, that's my understanding of their view of "Holy Tradition". I may be off)

This is a pretty good explanation. The only thing I would add is that ALL of the seven Sacraments are mentioned in The Bible: Baptism, Confession, The Eucharist, Confirmation (receiving the Holy Spirit), Marriage, Holy Orders (priesthood), and Last Rites/Holy Unction/Annointing of the Sick (it's called by different names).

Most (not all, but most) Protestant churches recognize all of the sacraments *technically* but only recognize two that are required and/or most important of all: baptism and Lord's Supper/Communion. ( I say they technically recognize them all, because all Protestants have marriage, confess their sins [not to a priest, but to God... but it's the same basic concept], have a clergy, etc.

I would say more that the ceremonies, as you say, surrounding the Sacraments might be considered more Tradition, rather than the Sacraments themselves. Though, if you've ever seen any Catholic Sacraments, The Bible is *heavily* quoted and used. But yes, the specific layout of how a Sacrament should be performed has been passed down, and is part of our Tradition.

So you seem to have a pretty good understanding of the subject!

It is the deposit of faith.

Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours. (2 Thess 2:15)

O Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you. (1 Tim 6:20)

I now feel a need to write to encourage you to contend for the faith that was once for all handed down to the holy ones. (Jude 1:3)

The first thought that came to my mind when I saw the heading of the thread was.

The traditions of man have made the word of God of none effect.

Something like that if not exact. Yet I liked that 2 Thess. quote also. Such a diffrence between the ones given by God and the ones given by man.

Having attended a few diffrent christian congregations. Have never attended LDS one, the things that I noticed most, is the sameness of them all. Song or opening, prayer, news business, songs,

thirty minute sermon, song prayer. That's it. In some they fit a communion into the service mostly after a sunday school time, just before the 'church service'.

Pretty cut and dried. If you want fellowship, get there early and visit or stay late for the same.

That's traditions of man IMO.

What would be edifying would be a time for real communion of each there. as given in 1 cor:12--7

• 2 months later...

Pretty good answers from my fellow Catholics but I would add that there is a difference between what we Catholics refer to as, (and this is just an easy short-hand way of putting it.), 'Sacred Tradition' and small "t" tradition. Sacred Tradition is derived from the teaching authority of the Church, the Magisterium, and relates to matters of dogma or doctrine. "What is the nature of baptism, the Holy Trinity, grace?" Small "t" tradition can still be important, but is changeable and only has value as it serves the faith; i.e. why are vestments different colors? Why do we display the Stations of the Cross in our churches? Hope that helps illuminate the issue a bit more.