Be aWare the Ides of March

lds2

"Now, brethren, I want to make it very clear that I am not prophesying, that I am not predicting years of famine in the future. But I am suggesting that the time has come to get our houses in order…There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed...That’s all I have to say about it, but I wish to say it with all the emphasis of which I am capable.”

"We have been counseled again and again concerning self-reliance, concerning debt, concerning thrift. So many of our people are heavily in debt for things that are not entirely necessary.”

"As we have been continuously counseled for more than 60 years, let us have some food set aside that would sustain us for a time in case of need…”

"I do not know what the future holds."

These are the parts of President Hinkley's talks I think that are being overlooked. Rather than worry about world markets, when the dollar will collapse, or when the UN becomes a word only....dunno if that last one is in this thread but it serves my purposes for how I feel about all this.

In essence, the only thing President Hinkley was saying was that we, as members of the LDS Church, have been living on borrowed money and unnecessary debt for far too long, and that it is time we get our houses in order. Bad times are always ahead, no matter what decade it is, or what the current financial world market looks like. We need to begin heeding the words of the prophets.

He stated specifically that he was NOT prophesying about any future event, and specifically stated he did NOT know what the future held.

By the way, the quotes from President Hinkley above came from your own posts on page two. Read ALL the words of the prophets, and not just the ones that support your ideas.

Thats what I mean about putting words in the mouths of prophets.

I'm done here.

I am so glad you emphasized the parts about self-reliance and getting food stored in your homes I agree those things are often overlooked and think that is so important for our day.

I also agree that these talks are full of sound economic advice. I find it amazing that he started talking about this in 1998, again in 2001 and then again in 2005 and then this economic storm which started in 2001 and then increased in 2008 happened. President Eyring in many of his talks says that when a prophet repeats himself or others pay attention.

Not too long before general conference our Stake President was told by the visiting General Authority that the brethren know that there is a "storm" on the horizon but that they didn't know what it would be exactly.

As you probably know if you copy much of a talk here the thread will be erased so a lot of what I use are excerpts from talks, but if you read the talks I think that I do a pretty good job of staying with what the prophets and apostles were saying using direct quotes as much as possible.

It's funny that you emphasize, "I do not know what the future holds" because many anti-mormon sites use that to prove he is not a prophet...how could he be if he doesn't know what lies ahead? But I think he did know...not the particulars but he certainly knew that a storm was coming and he couldn't get "Pharoah's Dream" out of his mind for many years and said it was "portentious." Here is the quote you pointed to...

Said President Hinckley (The Times in Which We Live)..."I do not know what the future holds. I do not wish to sound negative, but I wish to remind you of the warnings of scripture and the teachings of the prophets which we have had constantly before us. I cannot forget the great lesson of Pharaoh’s dream of the fat and lean kine and of the full and withered stalks of corn. I cannot dismiss from my mind the grim warnings of the Lord as set forth in the 24th chapter of Matthew.

I am familiar, as are you, with the declarations of modern revelation that the time will come when the earth will be cleansed and there will be indescribable distress, with weeping and mourning and lamentation (see D&C 112:24). Now, I do not wish to be an alarmist. I do not wish to be a prophet of doom...I do not believe the time is here when an all-consuming calamity will overtake us. I earnestly pray that it may not."

I really liked your emphasis on getting prepared because we/they don't know exactly when these things (from his talk not this thread) will happen, just that it will happen. If we "prepare every needful thing" for our families then we don't need to worry about it.

You know if the stock market continues to increase and jobs improve throughout this year I truly will be amazed...perhaps enough to dance in a pink tutu...although I'm pretty sure most of you wouldn't want to see that...:) Particularly I might do it if my husband's own job situations improve as both of the part-time jobs that have been supporting us for the past six years became very precarious this past week. Murphy's Law...

Edited by lds2

Robert Prechter, author of Conquer the Crash, is still bearish. He says today's economy has similarities to the Great Depression and warns that 1930s-style deflation is still poised to cause financial havoc. Prechter predicts that the major U.S. stock indexes, such as the Dow Jones industrials and Standard & Poor's 500, will plunge below their bear market lows hit in March 2009 during the last financial crisis. The brief recovery will fail as it did in the 1930s, he says.

3 doomsaying experts who foresee economic devastation ahead ? USATODAY.com

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

So far so good...but the March 2nd prediction (that starts release language that we should all know about by the 19th) begins tomorrow...so I will be watching. I don't know whether anything will happen but they did get 911 right and a few others of their predictions.

I like to use these dates to think if there was a _____ tomorrow what would I wish that I had in preparation today? So that is where my thoughts are today. My thoughts have ranged from light bulbs, TP, gas and propane, oil (you can never have enough of that as most people don't store it), etc. Wish I had the money to get completely out of debt...:rolleyes:

There is some timewave and web-bot agreement regarding Friday the 10th which is kind of interesting...

While we warily wait to see what the “game-changer” is that we’re supposed to see over the period between now and Friday, although with the usual +/- three days of error, my thinking is running increasingly toward a major bank failure and the start of economic collapse since as of 4:59 PM Friday we should be into more or less permanent release language, at least into summer of this year. Still we need to be clear: Release language is not necessarily correlated to declining markets...

So we rely on luck and actually, I’ve been studying that quite closely for the past couple of weeks. Would, for example, an outbreak of financial panic be a lucky (as in good) thing? Well, given it as an alternative to a false flag attack on a US capital ship, escalation into a nuclear exchange with Russia and/or China, yes, you bet, I’d ,take meltdown and whatever else is behind curtain #1.

UrbanSurvival | Replaying 1929 - Long Wave Economic news & AnalysisUrbanSurvival | Replaying 1929 – Long Wave Economic news & Analysis

Doesn't it bum you out to be so focused on looking for collapse or disaster? Preparation is good and necessary, but there is so much of life to be enjoyed. Looking and focusing on bad things that may or may not happen might mean missing out on a lot of good and beauty that is certainly there, too.

• 2 weeks later...

You would think so but truthfully my life is pretty much a big "gospel hobby" between my callings, last days studies, genealogy, learning essential skills, mentoring people at DI, etc. But I think genealogy and family history help me to keep a more upbeat outlook as these kinds of things happened to my grandparents and greatgrandparents and they survived, even flourished...eventually.

My ancestors faced "interesting times." My grandfather's hotel was demolished as a result of the great San Francisco earthquake. My other grandparents stood homeless (after putting $600 down on a $1000 home a few months before) on a corner during the depression with a dime trying to decide if they would buy milk for the baby (my mother) or bread.

Can you imagine my well-to-do great-great-great grandparents that lived in a town giving that up as well as their carefully saved money (saved for the wagons to get the two invalids as well as their large family across the plains) and being asked to give it all up to help others and push a handcart across the plains as part of the Willey handcart company...so they could live in a desert and work to grow enough food for a large family?

I won't tell of my life's challenges here, but just say that I know that devastating things can happen to good people and that living the gospel is no insurance against calamities in one's life.

You would think that all this stuff would "bum" me out, but really it just lights a fire under me to help as many friends as I can to obey the commandment from Heavenly Father to prepare for hard times...because they always come either individually or collectively and we have been warned that calamities will increase in the future...

The First Presidency told us in June that if we are self-reliant we should help others become self-reliant. Part of that is to understand that calamities will come and to prepare for them.

Best wishes through your life challenges my friends.

Edited by lds2

Also, you have to understand that my father was very high up in the red cross in San Francisco when I was a girl. He/We were always preparing for "the big one" that we expected sometime in the early 1980's. So after a while you build up your own amount of denial that "the big one" will happen. At the same time, you know LOGICALLY that at some time, probably within your lifetime, it WILL happen.

Despite some healthy denial, I have enough of my dad in me to be CERT trained and have a year supply...and do all I can to help my neighbors prepare for "the big one" too.

Tongue firmly in cheek and with all that said...here is another "prediction."

"But the real news on quakes came in an email from 2012 research Patrick Geryl (author not scientist) who says the linkage between planetary alignments and solar flares may have been cracked

...He believes that, " Large solar storms are induced by 2 or more planets heliocentrically aligned with the Sun."

For instance take the 4-7 March date

First Mars and Earth line up with the Sun Then Mercurius and Venus

X5.4 Flare on 3/7/2012 @ 00:24 UTC – Sunspot 1429

We give here the dates that we expect solar events, due to planetary alignments:

March 21st 2012

April 22nd 2012

May 25th

June 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th

June 25th till 27th 2012

July 29th

August 12th 2012

August 22nd till 28th 2012

September 21st 2012

October 3rd 2012

October 14th till 22nd 2012

November 13th 2012

December 3rd 2012

Let’s look at the planetary alignments of December 16-17 2012, Jupiter, Earth, Venus in a line… (not with the Sun) Venus, Mars and Neptunus in a line (not with the Sun) And on 18-19 December… Saturn, Venus, Mercury ,Sun in a line..."

Patrick Geryl's site...

Edited by lds2

Post Script...

Predicted "dates" almost never happen! But it is wonderful that "if you are prepared you have no need to fear" such things.

In the June Ensign President Monson told us, “Living welfare principles is about putting our faith in Jesus Christ into action—by eliminating unnecessary debt, living within our means, and establishing family home storage and financial reserves…Our faith leads us to educate our minds and our hands and to work every day of our lives to be self-reliant. Having taken care of our own needs, we are better able to provide for ourselves and serve others. May we follow the counsel not only to do good but strive to be good, not just to do better but to be better. Obedience to the Lord’s counsel brings temporal and spiritual blessings. It allows us to face the challenges of life armed with courage and confidence rather than fear and doubt.”

President Monson also said in October Conference of 2009, “I am reminded of the words of the Lord found in the book of Ether in the Book of Mormon. Said the Lord, ‘Ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come.’ My brothers and sisters, He has prepared us. If we heed His words and live the commandments, we will survive…”While President Monson was talking of spiritual survival, the example he used was of how the Lord prepared a way for the physical survival of his people. Regardless, we are assured that if we heed His words and live the commandments we will be blessed."

It is almost time for General Conference! I love listening to the prophets! Can't wait!!!

Some people are expecting another big Earthquake between now and Monday...so especially if you live in the "ring of fire" check your 72 hour kits and know where your shoes are and make sure there is a flashlight where you can easily find it...and don't forget to wear pajamas or know where your robe is...and doorjambs are not always the safest place to be...

start at 18 seconds...

Preparing for various scenarios is another reason why I follow some of these predictions...I think if there were an earthquake tomorrow what would I wish that I had in my house today?

There is a lot of research about a heavy mass object still coming our direction. The earthquakes I posted about previously in ~188 day cycle are still happening with the more significant earthquakes/earth axis movements happening in the Spring and lesser earthquakes happening in the fall. So the next earth moving/tilting earthquake expected on this cycle will be around March 22, 2012.

So today's the day for a major earthquake. Let me know when it happens. *munches on popcorn*

Got yer pink tutu ready?

It's like horoscopes. "Libra, your desire for happiness will lead you to make choices in that direction. You may or may not have a good day today. Someone you love is thinking about you."

It's like horoscopes. "Libra, your desire for happiness will lead you to make choices in that direction. You may or may not have a good day today. Someone you love is thinking about you."

knows horoscopes.

I think you can breathe easy...the date was March 22 and while there were big earthquakes in Mexico and in Chile within days of that, fortunately we didn't see the big 9 that was indicated.

:)

And March is almost over and fortunately it's same ole, same old, with warm food, hot showers and warm beds at night!...at least here.

...and we get to look forward to conference in a few days!

Woo hoo!!! I LOVE conference! It will be the best part of March for sure.

Edited by lds2

Okay I collect predictions by people regarding dates...so put on your tin hats because a few of these predictions may belong in that category...others...not so much.

This morning, my 11 yr old came up to me. She said Apr 3 will be the next date for the end of the world people, because 4 X 3 = 12, and it would be 4/3/12. I think she has a good grasp of end of the world people.

I think so too, tell her that her prediction fits right in here...well all except the April part...we could start a new thread?

Edited by lds2