And how many people can you cram into a sealing room?

Backroads

Something I just thought of, it is common in our area to have an open invitation to the ward to a sealing. In the past there have been few members that can actually come. For example, when my hubby and I were sealed to my kids we made an open invitation to the ward. We had about maybe 20 people there in the sealing room. We did not have an other family there, since we are adult converts. Now, keep in mind that we have been approved for a new building and to get that a high percentage of the members need to have current temple recommends. For example, 90% had to be full tithe-payers. So it's not like there was a lack of temple worthy adults, just timing and all that.

Maybe the bride should wait for some RSVP's before panicking about the seating.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, after reading all this, I just have to wonder if the church would do itself a favor and just copy what they do in England other foriegn countries because of public laws - and have folks get a civil marriage first outside of the temple where EVERYONE who wants to be involved can attend, and then get sealed in the temple the next day. This way, they can have as many people as they want at the wedding, without all these problems, and the next day go and get the sealing done in the temple. And, if we believe in mormon doctrine, really, it's the sealing that matters. Not the wedding ceremony. To me, it's a win-win scenario.

Why does that not make sense?

Okay. I don't mean to hijack this thread but..

white weddings are when the bride gets endowed and then right away they go and get sealed?

Also, when guests attend a sealing, do they wear white temple dresses/ect, the temple packets or normal church clothes?

Liz.

I understand a "white wedding" to mean that everyone in attendance wears white.

Okay. I don't mean to hijack this thread but..

white weddings are when the bride gets endowed and then right away they go and get sealed?

Also, when guests attend a sealing, do they wear white temple dresses/ect, the temple packets or normal church clothes?

Liz.

If you show up for the sealing only then you where normal church clothes. Here I have seen them ask you to change into your slippers or put booties over your shoes to prevent tracking dirt but that may be a temple decision.

You know, after reading all this, I just have to wonder if the church would do itself a favor and just copy what they do in England other foriegn countries because of public laws - and have folks get a civil marriage first outside of the temple where EVERYONE who wants to be involved can attend, and then get sealed in the temple the next day. This way, they can have as many people as they want at the wedding, without all these problems, and the next day go and get the sealing done in the temple. And, if we believe in mormon doctrine, really, it's the sealing that matters. Not the wedding ceremony. To me, it's a win-win scenario.

Discussion question:

Why do we, as a Church, need to bother with civil marriage at all? We didn't think it necessary back when we were solemnizing polygamous marriages; and much of the pomp and pageantry of civil marriage is a mid-20th century construct anyways (at least as far as the middle and lower classes are concerned).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Discussion question:

Why do we, as a Church, need to bother with civil marriage at all? We didn't think it necessary back when we were solemnizing polygamous marriages; and much of the pomp and pageantry of civil marriage is a mid-20th century construct anyways (at least as far as the middle and lower classes are concerned).

Probably for legal issues like inheritance, taxes, debt, visitation rights etc etc.

This is the same argument those in favor of same sex marriage talk about. Maybe all this should just be some kind of legal contract between adults, rather than civil marriage, and the whole problem might just go away.

While I am sympathetic to this, I have to wonder, from what I've heard of these people, if even that would work in this situation. No matter what venue one picks for the wedding, it does have a maximum occupancy.

Discussion question:

Off topic but who are the lower and middle classes? you? I know I am not in any class and frankly the term is insulting. Not knocking you using it but we have a lot of things carried over from the king days and that is one that I sincerely wish would go away.

I think he was just saying that it used to only be royalty and nobility that made such a big event of a wedding day. I'm for simple, myself. Immediate family at the temple, extended family at a luncheon, and off to the honeymoon. Maybe an open house the week after. That's what I'll encourage my kids to do.

Discussion question:

Why do we, as a Church, need to bother with civil marriage at all? We didn't think it necessary back when we were solemnizing polygamous marriages; <<snip>>

Article of Faith: 12 We believe in being asubject to bkings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in cobeying, honoring, and sustaining the dlaw.

Back with the church was solemnizing polygamous marriages it was not against the law of the land.

Today, polygamous marriages are still practiced- not by LDS, but by other cultures.

Edited by Iggy
to fix quote

Off topic but who are the lower and middle classes? you? I know I am not in any class and frankly the term is insulting. Not knocking you using it but we have a lot of things carried over from the king days and that is one that I sincerely wish would go away.

I do include myself, if that helps. At least in my family history, church weddings are a relatively rare thing--both sets of grandparents and three out of four sets of great-grandparents were married out of somebody's house.

I'm asking about this because of a co-worker's situation. Her eldest son is getting married, the reserved sealing room holds about 50 people, according to what she said. She, her husband, and son invited less than 20 people to the sealing. Two days ago, the bride informs everyone she and her family have invited 120 people to the sealing and would the groom's family please cull their list?

My own sealing is over and done with, but I'm a little curious to the various views on just who comes to the sealing... as co-worker doesn't understand why she has to uninvite family.

I am surprised to hear that a sealing room can hold that many people.

Having a big crowd like that seems to detract from the ceremony a bit.

That was my gut response.

• 4 weeks later...

All right, here was the outcome:

While not ALL of the bride's family's guests showed up at the temple, a good number of them did.

But according to Co-worker, all went relatively peaceful. The guests realized there were far too many of them and were gracious enough to agree that family and close friends should receive priority.

Nothing more about it was apparently said.

All right, here was the outcome:

While not ALL of the bride's family's guests showed up at the temple, a good number of them did.

But according to Co-worker, all went relatively peaceful. The guests realized there were far too many of them and were gracious enough to agree that family and close friends should receive priority.

Nothing more about it was apparently said.

I have mixed feeling about this outcome. :lol:

Reminds me of a baby blessing our ward had a couple of months ago. When it came time for the blessing, half the pews emptied out. It was this HUGE gaggle of priesthood jocking with each other to try to get into position to put their hand into the circle. There were enough men to make at least four or five concentric rings around the poor child. The family should be embarrassed with themselves.

I know my former wife's first marriage, the groom just about invited the whole ward and they ALL wanted to be in that tiny room. She hated it. So when it came time for our sealing, she warned me about it. But I've always been under the opinion that there should be minimal people to keep the reverence of the occasion. So it was our parents and one set of friends each. Even the officiator commented on how wonderful it was to have such a small group.

Now my re-baptism, that's going to be a different story. :D

Reminds me of a baby blessing our ward had a couple of months ago. When it came time for the blessing, half the pews emptied out. It was this HUGE gaggle of priesthood jocking with each other to try to get into position to put their hand into the circle. There were enough men to make at least four or five concentric rings around the poor child. The family should be embarrassed with themselves.

I disagree. It was perhaps a bit poorly planned and lacking in judgment, but how wonderful that so many men cared so much about this baby and the parents that they took the time and trouble to be a part of the baby blessing.

I disagree. It was perhaps a bit poorly planned and lacking in judgment, but how wonderful that so many men cared so much about this baby and the parents that they took the time and trouble to be a part of the baby blessing.

Ok, I concede, my attitude stinks. At the risk of stating the obvious, I'm a glass half empty kind of guy, but trying to reform.