Heavenly Father shows himself to man??

martybess

I’m trying to find a seminary lesson or something similar (actual scripture) where the God has showed himself to man. There’s Moses, and Joseph Smith and who else?

Thanks

The brother of Jared is an obvious one that comes to mind, as is Sydney Rigdon.

Looks like Vort is responding to the pre-edit version of the question. Note the wording difference in his quote box.

Oh, I didn't notice that. So, it was Christ who showed Himself to Sydney... right?

Oh, I didn't notice that. So, it was Christ who showed Himself to Sydney... right?

Are we talking about D&C 76?

The Guide to the Scriptures has this to say:

There are few recorded instances of God the Father appearing to or speaking to man. The scriptures say that he spoke to Adam and Eve (Moses 4:14–31) and introduced Jesus Christ on several occasions (Matt. 3:17; 17:5; John 12:28–29; 3 Ne. 11:3–7). He appeared to Stephen (Acts 7:55–56) and Joseph Smith (JS—H 1:17). Later he appeared to both Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon (D&C 76:20, 23). To those who love God and purify themselves before him, God sometimes grants the privilege of seeing and knowing for themselves that he is God (Matt. 5:8; 3 Ne. 12:8; D&C 76:116–118; 93:1).

I know of no incident since Adam was in the garden of Eden that the Father has ever appeared in any form, physical, vocal, or otherwise, to his children, except to introduce his beloved Son.

I think I agree with Vort. Even most of the instances when the "Father" appears and speaks, it is actually God the Son, who is quite authorized to speak as the Father, and can be considered "Father" by virtue of His central role in the Plan of Salvation. Indeed, Christ is the Father in every significant way described in scripture, except he is not the Father of our spirits, or his own Father. This reality allowed Amulek to teach the following to Zeezrom:

Now Zeezrom saith again unto him: Is the Son of God the very Eternal Father? And Amulek said unto him: Yea, he is the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth, and all things which in them are; he is the beginning and the end, the first and the last; (Alma 11:38-39)

The following is some really good reading concerning the topic:

The Father and the Son - Ensign Apr. 2002 - ensign

Regards,

Vanhin

The promise in John 14 re: the Second Comforter (the personage of Jesus Christ ministering to us from time to time) includes the following:

John 14:23

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

The promise is that the Father and the Son will come together and make their "abode" with us (or, establish us in their own "household" of glory).

the pre mortal Jesus Christ is the Jehovah of the Old Test. so that would be who Moses saw the back parts of and face to face.

And yes, I also understand that God the Father introduces his son, is where we see the Father, as Jehovah/Jesus was to be the most high over the earth (but his Father is higher than him and over all things?)

I know of no incident since Adam was in the garden of Eden that the Father has ever appeared in any form, physical, vocal, or otherwise, to his children, except to introduce his beloved Son.

Yes I have heard that as well. I wonder who said that statement? Reason I ask is I can only find one account in canon where God talks to man and that's Joseph Smith. Stephen saw God. Act 7:56.

and adam.

Should I suggest how many after the fall of man? That was one of the stipulations for partaking of the forbidden fruit. Man was shut out from Gods presence.

I'm not trying to make this into a big deal or anything. I'm giving lesson 4 from the priesthood handbook Sunday and thought I would address the first vision somewhat.

Are we talking about D&C 76?

The Guide to the Scriptures has this to say:

There are few recorded instances of God the Father appearing to or speaking to man. The scriptures say that he spoke to Adam and Eve (Moses 4:14–31) and introduced Jesus Christ on several occasions (Matt. 3:17; 17:5; John 12:28–29; 3 Ne. 11:3–7). He appeared to Stephen (Acts 7:55–56) and Joseph Smith (JS—H 1:17). Later he appeared to both Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon (D&C 76:20, 23). To those who love God and purify themselves before him, God sometimes grants the privilege of seeing and knowing for themselves that he is God (Matt. 5:8; 3 Ne. 12:8; D&C 76:116–118; 93:1).

(I read 3 times from this)

Joseph Smith - (First Vision)

Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon - D&C 76:20-23 (They hear his voice bearing record of the Son as well as seeing him)

Stephen Acts 7:56 – (See’s the Son on the right hand of God)

Thanks.

There is very little information concerning our Father in Heaven - or for that matter that society of heaven (including any relationships of heaven - including our mother).

I was recently in a conversation with an individual disappointed that we do know anything about our mother. The truth is that we do not know that much more about our Father. As far as information, the only kind of sure understanding of that which is divine comes exclusively by and through Jesus Christ. Because of the fall we are indeed cut off.

The key is in understanding the fall. The next point comes when we understand that we really do not know that much about Jesus Christ. Or as the scriptures say - we look through a glass darkly.

I do not want to discourage anyone but to be honest I personally have great difficulty with claims made by many individuals that they have a personal relationship with G-d. For myself there are times that I am not even sure I know and understand myself very much - let alone anyone else - especially G-d. More often than not I find myself on my knees begging for some bit of understanding I obviously lack. Then to discover that I seem to understand more than many that brag about their personal relationship with G-d.

I also have difficulties with my testimony. It is hard to me and does not seem right or make much sense for me to say, “I know” while I still struggle understanding many of the finer points and principles of G-d our Father and his Son, Jesus Christ - and especially the Holy Ghost. I can in all honesty say I believe in G-d and as a scientist I can say I believe that G-d is and lives more than I am sure electrons exist - but the reality is that I live by faith. And to be honest a rather fragile faith that requires a great deal of attention and effort to understand and maintain.

Each morning my prayers seem to be more pleading that I not screw up this day - realizing so many things I have not done so well for all the years of yesterdays I have blundered through.

Indeed I am a Traveler - This is not my home. I am not from here and I do not belong here. I long for my home - my family and for that which is so lost that I can only hope to someday find. And so I continue and invite others to join me in a quest for home. Not a pretending to know anything we do not reality - but I also ask others to forgive me of my blunders - that I still continue to make and be assured that I forgive you as well - realizing that you many not feel need to be forgiven. It is just that I do not intend to dwell on blunders but to journey on - in the hope that someday I will meet and know (not just believe) my G-d and that such a G-d will rejoice in my return and understanding.

The Traveler

1Ne.1:2-3,7-10

7. And it came to pass that he returned to his own house at Jerusalem; and he cast himself upon his bed, being overcome with the Spirit and the things which he had seen.

8. And being thus overcome with the Spirit, he was carried away in a vision, even that he saw the heavens open, and he thought he saw God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels in the attitude of singing and praising their God.

9. And it came to pass that he saw One descending out of the midst of heaven, and he beheld that his luster was above that of the sun at noon-day.

10. And he also saw twelve others following him, and their brightness did exceed that of the stars in the firmament.

Hmmmmm, Lehi? I know, I know, it's getting like who really cares. LOL..... Hard to say on this scripture because he doesn't say he saw both together. LOL

Sorry I get stuck on things. Any feelings on whether this is the Father or the Son?

And being thus overcome with the Spirit, he was carried away in a vision, even that he saw the heavens open, and he thought he saw God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels in the attitude of singing and praising their God.

1 Nephi 1:8

Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

Alma 36:22

Maybe someone can help explain this to me then:

In Ether 3, the brother of Jared sees Christ: 9. And the Lord said unto him: Because of thy faith thou hast seen that I shall take upon me flesh and blood; and never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast; for were it not so ye could not have seen my finger. Sawest thou more than this?

In my simple mind, I always read this as on one before the brother of Jared had the faith sufficient to see Christ's pre-mortal form. Who then was Enoch speaking to when he saw God weep?