Did I Sin?

Blue_Islands

Hey guys I am meeting with my Bishop tonight and am unsure if something I did years ago was a sin or not? It has only just recently come to mind that what I did could have been interpreted as bad. What I did was shaved my pubic hair. I did not masturbate or anything else. I am just curious as to what I did is considered to be bad or not. I have tried to search on here and lds.org but couldn't find anything to say either way, so I really am unsure. If you guys have source that your info comes from like a talk or something please note that because I have searched and could find nothing saying either way on the topic. I am meeting with my Bishop in just under 11 hours so your input is highly appreciated if you have a moment.

Thank you

We all sin. Our inherent nature is sinful. In other words, it is impossible for us to NOT SIN. If it was possible for us to not sin then we would not need Christ. It is not a matter of, "Ok I'm not going to do these certain things. And if I don't do them I wont be sinning." Even if a person was able to follow every law they would still be sinful and need the atonement of Christ. We are all sinners and we all need Christ.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I see in many people's attitudes they are so worried about what actions they take are sinful or not. As if there is a path through life where we can avoid sin. But the truth is that any action we take is tainted by our sinful nature. Is shaving pubic hair against to set of laws, rules, or policies? Probably not. But that doesn't mean we can shave our pubic hair and not need the atonement because we are not sinning.

The very question "Did I sin?" is inherently flawed because the answer will always be, "Yes." There is nothing we can do to merit salvation on our own.

This is why we must allow Christ's atonement to take effect in our lives. We must realize that the answer to the struggle is to let go. We make an effort to obey the laws and things not so that we can be worthy of salvation; but so that we can change ourselves into a person who is compatible with the Celestial Kingdom. As we work to change ourselves to be like the Saviour we do not let our inherent nature(sin) hold us down. Christ has freed us from sin.

The question is not, “Oh, crap, what specific actions did I do in my life, either through commission or omission, that was a sin?” The question is, “Yep, I've screwed up, and it's inevitable that I'll screw up, but what have I done to bring my nature more into line with that of the Saviour?”

I hope that makes sense and I don't just sound condescending. My intention is to convey the hope of the atonement the frees us from sin.

Hey guys I am meeting with my Bishop tonight and am unsure if something I did years ago was a sin or not? It has only just recently come to mind that what I did could have been interpreted as bad. What I did was shaved my pubic hair. I did not masturbate or anything else. I am just curious as to what I did is considered to be bad or not. I have tried to search on here and lds.org but couldn't find anything to say either way, so I really am unsure. If you guys have source that your info comes from like a talk or something please note that because I have searched and could find nothing saying either way on the topic. I am meeting with my Bishop in just under 11 hours so your input is highly appreciated if you have a moment.

Thank you

theres nothing i know of that makes this a sin in itself any more than gaining money, or shaving armpit hair is a sin. Altho for what reasons someone does such might be somewhat concerning (besides it's probably self punishing enough as it is), I don't think its important enough to ask the bishop about in itself.

:lol:

I'd pay a dollar to see a video of the bishop's reaction to such a "confession".

My understanding is that American women didn't feel the need to shave their legs until the 1920s or thereabouts, and it was the 1950s before shaving one's armpits became de rigeur. Both were inspired, I have been told, by Madison Avenue. I personally believe that such shaving, including the current pubic hair shaving craze, is a part of the infantilization of women that our culture has demanded for several generations now. (Very sorry if that makes me sound like a feminist. Rest assured, I am nothing of the sort.)

That opinion having been expressed, Eowyn's answer is really the final word.

As has been pointed out, shaving your pubic hair is no more sinful than shaving the hair on your head, legs, armpits, face, neck, chest, or back (I'm not implying you have hair in all those places, just trying to make this as general a statement as possible).

Even if you were doing it for reasons of vanity, I'm not sure I'd call it a sin. Sure, the vanity might be a sin, but the removal of hair? Probably not.

Groom yourself in whatever manner makes you feel most comfortable with your body. In fact, you could make a case that the grooming of body hair (be it a shave or a trim) in high temperatures areas of the body is hygienic*.

Anyway, as long as you're doing it to make yourself comfortable, go ahead and make yourself comfortable.

*You could also make the case that with proper bathing it is unnecessary. But this isn't really a debate I'm interested in pursuing.

As others have pointed it, there's nothing sinful about shaving. However, I can see how there might be questions, as the church has spoken out about things like tattoos and piercings.

I think it is good that you're open to asking your bishop when you're not sure about something. There are many people that do things that actually are sins that should be discussed with their bishop, but they are unwilling to do it.

Perhaps for some, shaving pubic hair turns them on? We're encouraged to not excite sexual feelings outside of relations with our spouse.

Our bodies are wonderful things. We need to take care of them. For some, shaving pubic hair is a way to do that. For others, it's not. It's a personal decision.

As others have pointed it, there's nothing sinful about shaving. However, I can see how there might be questions, as the church has spoken out about things like tattoos and piercings.

I think it is good that you're open to asking your bishop when you're not sure about something. There are many people that do things that actually are sins that should be discussed with their bishop, but they are unwilling to do it.

Ahhh, no. No. It's none of the Bishop's business.

Use the spirit of revelation to make personal decisions like this --- like the prophets have told us to do on more than one occasion.

As others have pointed out - it's not a sin. So quit worrying about it, and don't bother the Bishop. He has more important things to worry about.

While I agree with others that what you have described is not a sin and therefore does not need confession, I would actually ENCOURAGE you to go to your Bishop about anything you feel you need to.

I have never felt that a concern or question of mine was "wasting" the Bishop's time. If it's important to you, I'll bet it's important to your Bishop; even if others of us might trivialize its importance. He will be able to ask appropriate questions that help you resolve why you might be questioning your worthiness.

If nothing else, I'll bet your Bishop will leave you with comforting words and a clear sense of direction for the future.

If this is weighing on you enough that you need to ask us, then it's weighing on you enough that you need to talk to the bishop about this. Go in there with tearful repentance and express to him just how sorry you are that you shaved your pubes and that you will except any church discipline necessary. I'm sure the bishop will have a look on his face that you will never forget when he sees what desire you have to rid yourself of this "horrendous" sin.:D

Edited by Carl62

:lol:

I'd pay a dollar to see a video of the bishop's reaction to such a "confession".

My understanding is that American women didn't feel the need to shave their legs until the 1920s or thereabouts, and it was the 1950s before shaving one's armpits became de rigeur. Both were inspired, I have been told, by Madison Avenue. I personally believe that such shaving, including the current pubic hair shaving craze, is a part of the infantilization of women that our culture has demanded for several generations now. (Very sorry if that makes me sound like a feminist. Rest assured, I am nothing of the sort.)

That opinion having been expressed, Eowyn's answer is really the final word.

psssst...it's now fashionable for men to manscape now....exact same thing. :rolleyes::eek:

As for the OP.

No it's not a sin...