False Prophets Vs. True Prophets

Ray

According to Dictionary.com in definition #1, a prophet is a person who speaks for God or a deity, or by divine inspiration.

And according to Wikipedia.org in the very first sentence, a prophet is a person who has directly encountered God, of whose intentions he can then speak.

With those definitions in mind I now have the thought that false prophets only claim to be speaking for God, or only claim to have encountered God in their lives, while in truth they don’t really know God.

And as far as I know they could have good intentions, while they think they are speaking for God.

And now I will ask what you think:

Do you think you know God?

Have you ever encountered God in your life?

Has God ever helped you know what is true?

Do you know when God has shared some truths with other people?

How do you know when you’re not a false prophet of God?

Can a person who falsely interprets the scriptures be known as a false prophet of God?

Do you think you can tell who are true prophets of God?

How do you know when you’re a true prophet of God?

And if you don’t think you do truly know God, do you think there are others who do?

How do you know who is who?

Who is false and who is true?

Do you ever claim to?

Can I know who is truly true too?

OHHH! Easy questions! Thanx Ray!

Do you think you know God? I try my best.

Have you ever encountered God in your life? Yupp!

Has God ever helped you know what is true? Yupp!

Do you know when God has shared some truths with other people? Joseph Smith is one! Prophets of old and prophets of today!!!

How do you know when you’re not a false prophet of God? When I am? I am not nearly spiritual enough to be one.

Can a person who falsely interprets the scriptures be known as a false prophet of God? Yes. Obviously God didn't interperate it for them, and they don't know Him enough to know what he thinks.

Do you think you can tell who are true prophets of God? Lots and lots of prayer.. That is all anyone.. including prophets, can do!.

How do you know when you’re a true prophet of God? I would know because God would tell me if I asked..

And if you don’t think you do truly know God, do you think there are others who do? Yes!.

How do you know who is who? By asking names? :P.

Who is false and who is true? If the Holy Ghost testifys(sp?), than they are true... if not... than not quite..

Do you ever claim to? I claim to try my best.... I am not perfect... and my sabbeth days could use some work... and I could always be more Christ-like..... I have a lot of work to do..

Can I know who is truly true too? Ofcourse you can! Anyone can!

EDIT: Added colour! :sparklygrin::rolleyes:

Yes.

define "encountered"

Directly, not that I'm aware of. Indirectly, yes.

Are you saying "know when in history" or "would you be able to tell when"

Everything you say comes to pass

Can a person who falsely interprets the scriptures be known as a false prophet of God?

If They claim their interpretaion comes from God.

Ummm...yes. some of them

Your prophecies come true. Or some one who you know is a prophet says so and so is a prophet.

And if you don’t think you do truly know God, do you think there are others who do?

depends in what sense you mean "know God"

Finger prints and DNA tests ;)

A true prophet must not contradict the scriptures, or give false prophecies.

Do you ever claim to?

Be a prophet? :dontknow:

Depends how you go about it...

http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Proph...Among.Them.html

According to Dictionary.com in definition #1, a prophet is a person who speaks for God or a deity, or by divine inspiration.

And according to Wikipedia.org in the very first sentence, a prophet is a person who has directly encountered God, of whose intentions he can then speak.

With those definitions in mind I now have the thought that false prophets only claim to be speaking for God, or only claim to have encountered God in their lives, while in truth they don’t really know God.

And as far as I know they could have good intentions, while they think they are speaking for God.

And now I will ask what you think:

The only way to know G-d is to be like him. I am learning of him through keeping his commandments.

I have encountered the influence and teaching of his mediator.

Mortal life is his way of helping us know the truth - the difference between good and evil.

Yes - When they take upon themselves the attributes of those truths and become like G-d concerning those things.

G-d is our advocate. Satan is our adversary. Those that utilize the methods of adversary are the false prophets inspired by Satan - this is why I have always suggested we learn of anything from advocates before we ever consider the words of adversaries.

Yes - they are identified by their anti or adversary aproach. (Like a wolf among sheep).

Yes - They behave like they know G-d (see above).

When, like G-d, you are willing to give your life for the sheep. Giving your life means giving it to the will of G-d and being loyal to his commandments and being like him.

Do you ever claim to?

The answer is yes - by beying loyal to covenants with G-d (being like G-d), you will know the truth and the truth will make you free.

The Traveler

Okay. Thank you for playing, everyone. :)

And now I'll share what I think.

I will answer my own questions.

So you can know what I know too. :)

Do I think I know God?

Yes. I do think I truly know God. Not totally. But I know God. I know many things both from and about God. And I believe I have learned not only from other people. I believe I know God, myself.

Have I ever encountered God in my life?

Yes. There have been many times when I've encountered an influence... a presence… a power... a being… and I truly believe it was God I encountered. And I’m willing to talk about what I’ve encountered. I'm always willing to share what I think.

Has God ever helped me know what is true?

Yes. I truly believe God has helped me know truth… to know many things God knows are really true. I don’t claim to know all truth, but there are many things I do know, and I claim it was God who taught me. And I believe God still helps me know what is true. Just ask me and I'll tell you if I know.

Do I know when God has shared some truths with other people?

Yes. I know at least some times when God has shared some truths with other people, because those people shared what they knew and God then told me that was true.

For instance:

I know God shared some truths with other people who wrote the Bible and the Book of Mormon. And I know God shared some truths with people today, including the general authorities of the Church. And I know other people who I know God has taught, when God tells me what God has taught them. And if you tell me what you know, and what you know is the truth, then God will tell me what you know too.

How do I know when I’m not a false prophet of God?

When I know what I’m sharing is what God has taught me then I know I’m not a false prophet of God. And it doesn’t really matter what other people may think, because if God tells me I’m not, then I’m not.

Yes. It can become known that what someone is sharing is not true according to God, even though they might say it is true. But if God can know truth, then God can share truth with all who ask God what God knows.

Do I think I can tell who are true prophets of God?

On my own? No. But God can tell me who truly are God’s prophets. If I ask God and God tells me, I’ll know.

How do I know when I’m a true prophet of God?

When I know what I’m sharing is what God has taught me then I know I’m a true prophet of God.

And if I don’t think I do truly know God, do I think there are others who do?

N/A. I do think I do truly know God.

How do I know who is who?

By asking God and God telling me.

Those who share what is false and what is true.

Do I ever claim to? (sorry: Do I ever claim to know who is false and who is true?)

Yes, I do claim to know who is true. I claim to know many who are true. And I also claim to know of many who are false. But I’d rather tell you only who is true.

If you can know the truth then I can know too. And I do claim you can know what is true. God knows what is true, and God will tell us. We simply need to know what God knows.

Yes.

define "encountered"

Directly, not that I'm aware of. Indirectly, yes.

Are you saying "know when in history" or "would you be able to tell when"

Everything you say comes to pass

If They claim their interpretaion comes from God.

Ummm...yes. some of them

Your prophecies come true. Or some one who you know is a prophet says so and so is a prophet.

depends in what sense you mean "know God"

Finger prints and DNA tests ;)

A true prophet must not contradict the scriptures, or give false prophecies.

Do you ever claim to?

Be a prophet? :dontknow:

Depends how you go about it...

http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Proph...Among.Them.html

I liked it that you ARN'T LDS and answered these questions..

(not that I wouldn't like you being LDS, but whatever. Faith is always good..[faith in God that is])

"By their fruits ye shall know them."

or more specifically, 2 Nephi 26:31

"But the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money they shall perish."

It is interesting that when ever the "knowing by fruits" is quoted the rest of the scripture is always left out. The example of fruits of false teachers is given in the question: "Do men gather grapes of thorns or figs of thistles?" Though I have given meaning or answer to this question I have yet to see any other interpretation given - especially to those that try to gather grapes of thorns and figs of thistles. Is the meaning that hard to understand? - perhaps so if someone does not have eyes to see and ears to hear.

The Traveler

It is interesting that when ever the "knowing by fruits" is quoted the rest of the scripture is always left out. The example of fruits of false teachers is given in the question: "Do men gather grapes of thorns or figs of thistles?" Though I have given meaning or answer to this question I have yet to see any other interpretation given - especially to those that try to gather grapes of thorns and figs of thistles. Is the meaning that hard to understand? - perhaps so if someone does not have eyes to see and ears to hear.

The Traveler

If I remeber correctly you give the meaning of this verse as something along the lines of "If you want to know about mormonism, only go to mormon sites"

Jesus said to beware of false teachers that pretend to be sheep but are wolfs. He said to identify them by their fruits. Then he gave an example of the exact fruits we should use to identify wolfs when he said do men gather grapes of thorns or figs of thistles? Of course not - if you want grapes you do not go to thorn bushes nor do you go to thistles to find figs. You get grapes from grape vines and figs from fig trees - that is unless you are a wolf intending to distroy Christ's sheep - then you will gather your grape questions from thorns and get your fig questions from thistles. Jesus was an expert teacher with symbolism.

(emphasis added)

I feel it just means that A good tree doesn't produce evil fruit, and an evil tree doesn't produce good fruit.

Not "where" you get your good fuit from.

Josh B)

<div class='quotemain'>

The Traveler

If I remeber correctly you give the meaning of this verse as something along the lines of "If you want to know about mormonism, only go to mormon sites"

Jesus said to beware of false teachers that pretend to be sheep but are wolfs. He said to identify them by their fruits. Then he gave an example of the exact fruits we should use to identify wolfs when he said do men gather grapes of thorns or figs of thistles? Of course not - if you want grapes you do not go to thorn bushes nor do you go to thistles to find figs. You get grapes from grape vines and figs from fig trees - that is unless you are a wolf intending to distroy Christ's sheep - then you will gather your grape questions from thorns and get your fig questions from thistles. Jesus was an expert teacher with symbolism.

(emphasis added)

I feel it just means that A good tree doesn't produce evil fruit, and an evil tree doesn't produce good fruit.

Not "where" you get your good fuit from.

Josh B)

I am well aware that you have pre-determined interpretations to justify your view. No intelligent person tries to get grapes from thorn bushes. The problem presented in Christ's example is not in the fruit but where a false teacher intends to get it.

There is another thought. A title of Jesus is advocate. A title of Satan is advisory. Are you an advocate or are you an advisory?

The Traveler

I am well aware that you have pre-determined interpretations to justify your view.

No intelligent person tries to get grapes from thorn bushes. The problem presented in Christ's example is not in the fruit but where a false teacher intends to get it.

I will quote the verse....

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

It clearly explains what "Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?" means. It refers to

"Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit."

Not where a person gets their info, but what "fruit" comes from what "tree"

There is another thought. A title of Jesus is advocate. A title of Satan is advisory. Are you an advocate or are you an advisory?

The Traveler

I am an advocate of what I consider the truth.

Josh B)

Do you think you know God? Have you ever encountered God in your life? Has God ever helped you know what is true? Do you know when God has shared some truths with other people? How do you know when you’re not a false prophet of God?

Okay. Yes to all the question, with the answer to the last helping to illustrate the rest. I can know that I'm not a false prophet of God because God has revealed to me when others were false prophets.

I was in Seoul, Korea for the '88 Olympics. Two gentlemen came up to me (one Korean, one American) and asked me if I had a moment. In my spirit I sensed they were going to talk to me about Jesus, yet I was also troubled.

They presented a diagram showing humanity on one side of a chasm, God on the other, and sin keeping us separated. Then they showed how the cross--Christ's atonement--becomes the bridge allowing us to cross over to reconciliation with God.

I responded, "I know this. I'm a Christian."

The American looks at me and almost growls: THEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR GOD???!!!

Immediately I sensed a spirit of devourment, such as Jesus warned Peter about. Be careful--Satan goes about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

They proceeded to tell me that if I really loved God, really wanted to 'take up my cross and follow Jesus' I would come to their church on the weekends, and be mentored by them.

I told them that Jesus was the only mediator between us and the Father, and that they were setting me up for idolatry, by putting themselves in the place of Christ. Then I left.

Come to find out the founder/leader of these "Stormtroopers for Jesus" was a Baptist who'd never been water-baptized. He was too aggressive for his fellow Baptists, I suppose, and started his own thing.

The fruit was some divided families (they were living communally, and some didn't like it), and strong legalism and judgmentalism (the rest of the Church is lukewarm, etc.).

I praise God that he gave me the discernment to realize that these were false prophets!

They can. However, there is a serious difference between a doctrinal difference of opinion and one who's teachings are so heretical they are deemed a false prophet.

Those who wait upon the Lord will be blessed with discernment. However, sometimes the revelation of true vs. false prophet is not instantaneous.

Being in relationship with God makes all the difference. We must commune with our God.

The two primary means are comparing the 'new word' with the already-revealed words of God. Then, of course, there is the witness of the Spirit. I would also add that the community of faith (the Church) is used by God to in a broader sense to determine the veracity of claimed prophetic words.

We have a man in our ward which I consider an extremist. He makes many of the members in our ward 'uncomfortable'. When he gets up in testimony meeting he talks in a different voice then he usually does, his testimony voice is deep, bellowing, and slow. " I stand before you a man of GOD" and the rest is just more boasting of the truths he has been told of by God. Even before he has sat down there will be strong women who will walk to the pulpit to bare their testimonies and bring the spirit back into the meeting. This man believes he is a prophet but his tone says something else entirely. :ph34r:

PC I believe you are exactly right with your example of these men who approached you. Traveler I believe that you are right on when you say in order to know God we need to become like him. I love listening to the words of PC, even though he is from another faith, because I can hear from whom he has been mentored. :)

Okay, let's take this up a notch.

Joseph Smith...

true prophet?

or

false prophet?

And btw, "I don't know" is an acceptable answer.

But if we do want to know I know we can know... if we truly know who we should listen to.

am I allowed to answer this question without breaking the rules of the board?

please forgive me if I am not..... :)

Joseph Smith - False prophet

(3) no reason to think he was a true prophet.

Josh B)

Edited By Strawberry Fields

Sorry, you are not allowed to post anti-mormon things here. B) This is your warning.

Joseph Smith...

true prophet?

or

false prophet?

Absolutely a true prophet.

If we use Josh's reasons to discount him, we have to throw out most of the prophets in the Bible. :hmmm: The same tired list has been addressed over and over...

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/respons..._prophesies.htm

http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_prophecies.shtml

http://www.fairlds.org/apol/ai057.html

http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_prophets.shtml

Side questions: "Des, what is the cat doing in your avatar?" Is it holding a rifle?

Yep, that's a pretty funny avatar.