Military Uniforms at Church

Just_A_Guy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking more the temple; it seems to me I may have seen a Marine uniform in church some years ago. But somehow it seems . . . incongruous to have a military uniform at the temple. Especially because my understanding is that a full dress uniform for officers, in at least some branches of service, includes a sword.

I've been thinking more the temple; it seems to me I may have seen a Marine uniform in church some years ago. But somehow it seems . . . incongruous to have a military uniform at the temple. Especially because my understanding is that a full dress uniform for officers, in at least some branches of service, includes a sword.

Any propriety (in my mind) would be based on if it qualifies as best dress. And I'm inclined to think a dress uniform certainly does even if they need to leave the sword. If they are participating in ordinances they'll be changing into white anyway, though as you point out they'd still be wearing it to be present for a sealing.

Edited by Dravin

Hidden

I have seen military, and police uniforms at church. Being from San Diego, we saw Navy uniforms a lot. Seemed like no big deal, thogh I don't know of any official rules.

Yeah, women seem to get excited about guys in uniforms. That's why it's so easy for politicians to increase funding for law enforcement. The voting soccer moms get gooey when they see men in uniform.

Yeah, women seem to get excited about guys in uniforms. That's why it's so easy for politicians to increase funding for law enforcement. The voting soccer moms get gooey when they see men in uniform.

And that had what exactly to do with Jennarator's comment? She said nothing about being excited to see a man in uniform. She only stated that it was no big deal to her because of the area she grew up in.

Hidden

And that had what exactly to do with Jennarator's comment? She said nothing about being excited to see a man in uniform. She only stated that it was no big deal to her because of the area she grew up in.

My bad. I thought it was Jenna but it was you who said you "loved" to see the uniforms.

Ahh yes I said it. But still...no matter who said it..it has nothing to do with the intent of this thread. Other to throw out an ill placed sexist comment.

BTW, I love military uniforms because I have respect for the uniform itself and the men/women who wear them. Not because I think they are sexy.

I think that was rather inappropriate comment.

A full dress uniform is almost same as a suit, IMO. Its an honor to wear a uniform. Not everyone is allowed that honor. It has nothing to do with men looking good in uniform, they look good dressed up...just like women do.

JAG, I have seen military uniforms worn to the temple. If I can I thank the person for their service and I'm glad they are at the temple.

Hmmm, I wonder, then, why McCain didn't wear his uniform more in 2008......

I am always happy to see members of the military wear their uniforms to church, just as I am happy to see members of law enforcement wear their uniforms to church. There is nothing wrong with it, it makes me feel proud to be an American and feel more connected to those sworn to protect our country and its citizens.

I don't know how they handle the uniform at the temple, I don't recall ever seeing anybody in uniform in a sealing room. Obviously if they are going through normal sessions at the temple, the uniform is removed in favor of the temple clothing and kit.

Tangentially, you can see Joseph Smith's sword in the Nauvoo Temple.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I am always happy to see members of the military wear their uniforms to church, just as I am happy to see members of law enforcement wear their uniforms to church. There is nothing wrong with it, it makes me feel proud to be an American and feel more connected to those sworn to protect our country and its citizens. I don't know how they handle the uniform at the temple, I don't recall ever seeing anybody in uniform in a sealing room. Obviously if they are going through normal sessions at the temple, the uniform is removed in favor of the temple clothing and kit.

I hate to break the news to you, but those who are "sworn to protect" citizens of our country are often the biggest crooks. Because so many people have such blind trust in them, they often engage in misconduct that goes undetected. Sometimes, however, they get caught, and you'll hear or read in the news about a cop getting busted for robbery, drug trafficking, rape, bribery, or other crimes. Quite frankly, I believe that most people who get into law enforcement are people who have chips on their shoulders and have something to prove. What better way to do this than by getting a gun, a badge, and a license to be a *****? As for military, I look at them as victims of unjustified wars in the Middle East. The best way to support our troops is to stop pretending they are dying for our freedom. Edited by pam
political candidate talk

I'd like to remind about the rules regarding current political candidates. We cannot discuss candidates who are currently running for office.

Now let's get this back to the topic of the OP. This is not about one person's distrust or dislike for those in uniform.

I don't think the Church will ever have a policy regarding military uniform at church services. They don't really need one either. The military has an extensive code regarding how, when, where, and why their uniforms should and may be worn.

And no, not all women love a man in uniform. Whenever I wear my scout uniform to church, the women usually make fun of me, not make passes at me (much to my dismay).

I don't know what the church's position is, but I myself don't like it when I see any kind of government uniforms worn to church. It makes me feel like government is imposing on my church.

So if I work Sundays and happen to be close enough to a church building I should not be allowed to attend, oh let's say Sacrament Meeting, because I wear a uniform, because that means the government is intruding? That is absurd.

I hate to break the news to you, but those who are "sworn to protect" citizens of our country are often the biggest crooks. Because so many people have such blind trust in them, they often engage in misconduct that goes undetected. Sometimes, however, they get caught, and you'll hear or read in the news about a cop getting busted for robbery, drug trafficking, rape, bribery, or other crimes. Quite frankly, I believe that most people who get into law enforcement are people who have chips on their shoulders and have something to prove. What better way to do this than by getting a gun, a badge, and a license to be a *****?

My experience has been the vast majority of people who make these statements have been arrested for various criminal activities and want to lay the blame at somebody else's feet rather then accepting the consequences of thier own actions.

Hey, this broadbrush statement thing is kind of fun. Shall we play some more?

Hidden

My experience has been the vast majority of people who make these statements have been arrested for various criminal activities and want to lay the blame at somebody else's feet rather then accepting the consequences of thier own actions.

Hey, this broadbrush statement thing is kind of fun. Shall we play some more?

You win. Not because I've been arrested before (I have not), but you made me the recipient of my own broad brush statement. I hand it to you. I was wrong to make such a statement. Of course there are good cops and bad cops. Good job. :)

You win. Not because I've been arrested before (I have not), but you made me the recipient of my own broad brush statement. I hand it to you. I was wrong to make such a statement. Of course there are good cops and bad cops. Good job. :)

Also being "arrested" is not the same thing as being guilty. Your prophet Joseph Smith was arrested, I believe on several occasions. So for that matter were Peter and Paul. And even Jesus himself.

If I'd ever been arrested unjustly by a bad cop (and they do exist - take for instance Commander Ali Dizai of Scotland Yard, recently jailed for corruption) I'd feel no shame whatsoever in "laying the blame" at someone else's feet.

Edited by Jamie123