Military Uniforms at Church

Just_A_Guy

I hate to break the news to you, but those who are "sworn to protect" citizens of our country are often the biggest crooks. Because so many people have such blind trust in them, they often engage in misconduct that goes undetected. Sometimes, however, they get caught, and you'll hear or read in the news about a cop getting busted for robbery, drug trafficking, rape, bribery, or other crimes. Quite frankly, I believe that most people who get into law enforcement are people who have chips on their shoulders and have something to prove. What better way to do this than by getting a gun, a badge, and a license to be a *****? As for military, I look at them as victims of unjustified wars in the Middle East. The best way to support our troops is to stop pretending they are dying for our freedom.

Wow, that's a pretty broad brush you're using. I'm not a member of any police or military organization, but I can tell you from my own experience that the people I do know in those organizations are not nearly as unsavory characters as you claim they are at all. Are there bad apples? Of course there are, but those numbers are quite low, and I would guess they are a much lower percentage than the population at large. I think you watch too many police dramas on TV and extrapolate what you see there as being representative of what really goes on in law enforcement as a whole. You're wrong.

I also think you are way off in your expression of why police go into that field. I have never known one to have a chip on his shoulder and a need to prove anything to anybody. The ones I know hold the same general values of life, liberty, and morality that I do. One of them is even a former LDS Seminary teacher who quit to go into law enforcement. He's the kindest, calmest, most gentle and ethical guy you could ever meet. He also puts his life on the line every time he puts on his uniform to go to work. He never knows if that shift will be the last one he works.

Your views of the men and women who volunteer to protect your right to denigrate them are also way off the mark.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh yes I said it. But still...no matter who said it..it has nothing to do with the intent of this thread. Other to throw out an ill placed sexist comment.

BTW, I love military uniforms because I have respect for the uniform itself and the men/women who wear them. Not because I think they are sexy.

I'll say it. I quite like men in uniforms. There is definitely a sex appeal to it. But, I respect the work they do moreso than any potential "eye candy".

Hidden

Also being "arrested" is not the same thing as being guilty. Your prophet Joseph Smith was arrested, I believe on several occasions. So for that matter were Peter and Paul. And even Jesus himself.

If I'd ever been arrested unjustly by a bad cop (and they do exist - take for instance Commander Ali Dizai of Scotland Yard, recently jailed for corruption) I'd feel no shame whatsoever in "laying the blame" at someone else's feet.

You certainly don't have to look far to find stories of police corruption. See for yourself. Google the words "cop found guilty" or "cop pleads guilty" or "cop arrested" and see all the recent news stories you come up with about cops being involved in misconduct.

I hate to break the news to you, but those who are "sworn to protect" citizens of our country are often the biggest crooks. Because so many people have such blind trust in them, they often engage in misconduct that goes undetected. Sometimes, however, they get caught, and you'll hear or read in the news about a cop getting busted for robbery, drug trafficking, rape, bribery, or other crimes. Quite frankly, I believe that most people who get into law enforcement are people who have chips on their shoulders and have something to prove. What better way to do this than by getting a gun, a badge, and a license to be a *****? As for military, I look at them as victims of unjustified wars in the Middle East. The best way to support our troops is to stop pretending they are dying for our freedom.

Seriously?????? Members of my family have served in every conflict the US was in volved in since Bunker Hill to give you the right to spout these less than intelligent statements. Until you have walked a mile in their shoes just remember that some one paid the price for you.

I have no problem with uniforms in church or anywhere else for that matter ... I am just deeply grateful that they are there ... because of them I can sleep safe at night. But oh how I love the Marine dress blues ;)

Oh no... I LOVE the Navy Whites! Those are the BEST!

<ducks and hides... my best friend is a Marine>

While I have been around the Navy almost my entire life, as hard as it is for me to say...I still like the Marines dress uniform the best.

This will be the only time I will say the Marines have upped the Navy. :lol:

While I have been around the Navy almost my entire life, as hard as it is for me to say...I still like the Marines dress uniform the best.

This will be the only time I will say the Marines have upped the Navy. :lol:

As an aside, most people refer to it as 6AM. For the Army this is 0600, for the Navy it is 4 bells in the morning watch, for the AirForce it is also 0600 since they started as the Army Air Corps. For the Marines among us, that is when Mickey's big hand points straight up and his little hand points straight down.

:lol:

-RM

As an aside, most people refer to it as 6AM. For the Army this is 0600, for the Navy it is 4 bells in the morning watch, for the AirForce it is also 0600 since they started as the Army Air Corps. For the Marines among us, that is when Mickey's big hand points straight up and his little hand points straight down.

:lol:

-RM

You said it not me. :lol:

I love seeing military uniforms. Like Jennarator, growing up in San Diego you see them all over the place. Even in church.

I think formal military attire is quite respectful. Especially considering those are the folks that defind our freedom to be able to have and go to a church i think there shouldn't be a problem with just wearing a military uniform while just attending.

With a bunch of bases around us, including the Air Force Academy, we've got a lot of military in our ward. I see full dress uniforms often - especially when there are lots of deployments starting or ending. One ward member got 1st presidency approval to get sealed in the temple a month early, because he was heading to Iraq.

The church offers Olive Drab garments to temple worthy military folks. I don't know of any particular policy about uniforms at church, the fact that we'll dye garments green if necessary gives me an inkling.

more of a tannish brown....it really isn't a pretty color!

-RM

WHOA! That's something I didn't know! I mean - I didn't even think there would be a problem with white underwear under jungle print or even desert camo BDUs! That's kinda cool to know.

Is there a military policy on where you can where your dress uniform? I have nothing against a uniform in church (Air Force brat here), but just wonder where/when you're allowed to where the uniform. Unless one is headed off to the base after services, why would you wear the uniform? Or do all active duty have to wear a uniform all the time? I see guys at the store in camies (or whatever they call it these days), but figured they were going or coming from somewhere, not that they just threw them on 'cause nothing else was clean.

I was in the Navy for 21 years. I was once asked to step down from passing the sacrement because a member was offended by the uniform.

BTW swords are only part of the dress uniform for very special occasions.

I sometimes wear my uniform with mini medals (Dinner Dress) to church on Veterans day and wish everyone that had one would wear it too.

As policy goes, there is no policy. White shirts are NOT even required for sacrement or the temple. Military dress uniforms should be allowed for the Sacrement or Temple, not just because there is no policy prohibiting them, but because they represent (emphasize REPRESENT) the best of our country. I have seen people go to the temple in jeans and a t-shirt once and a uniform is much more classy than that.

And ok,... the Marine Dress Blues may be the only good thing going there. ;)

Is there a military policy on where you can where your dress uniform? I have nothing against a uniform in church (Air Force brat here), but just wonder where/when you're allowed to where the uniform. Unless one is headed off to the base after services, why would you wear the uniform? Or do all active duty have to wear a uniform all the time? I see guys at the store in camies (or whatever they call it these days), but figured they were going or coming from somewhere, not that they just threw them on 'cause nothing else was clean.

Oh yeah,... no rules per say where to wear a uniform. Just not for overseas travel anymore nor to places or events that would bring discredit on our country or making oneself a target.

You win. Not because I've been arrested before (I have not), but you made me the recipient of my own broad brush statement. I hand it to you. I was wrong to make such a statement. Of course there are good cops and bad cops. Good job. :)

Oh are we playing the sarcasm game now? I'm realllllly good at that one too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarginOfError

Especially on women. Sooooooooo HOT!

Oh brother...and a comment was made how women love men in uniforms. Sheesh. ^_^

OK, I'm really glad I had just swallowed that drink of Propel right before seeing this...I woud have needed some paper towels to clean my screen.

Hidden

I think formal military attire is quite respectful. Especially considering those are the folks that defind our freedom to be able to have and go to a church i think there shouldn't be a problem with just wearing a military uniform while just attending.

I get so tired of hearing that they are the folks defending our freedom. They are also the ones who are whacked going in and even more whacked coming out. They are also the ones who go into homes of innocent Americans confiscating weapons when Martial Law is declared (such as in Lousiana after Hurricane Katrina). Oh, I know, they were just following orders.

Hey LDSCubsFan, you actually know any military folks? Like, personally?

I know many. Lots of military members in my ward. Lots of coworkers with kids in the military. My wife is friends with many. In my actual numerous examples of firsthand experience, my experience is different than yours.

So how about it - how many do you know personally? Let's compare actual experience vs. crap we read on the internet.

Hidden

Hey LDSCubsFan, you actually know any military folks? Like, personally?

I know many. Lots of military members in my ward. Lots of coworkers with kids in the military. My wife is friends with many. In my actual numerous examples of firsthand experience, my experience is different than yours.

So how about it - how many do you know personally? Let's compare actual experience vs. crap we read on the internet.

Oh, here in the DC area? Nooooo, there's no military around here <sarcasm>. Some of them are certainly decent, but I have also seen them drunk in public and jumping off a bridge into a deep creek acting like idiots, changing pants in public. It seems like the Marines are the crazy ones. For some reason I recall in high school it was seemed to always be the crazy punk types that joined the Marines. I guess you gotta be crazy to do the things they do.

I get so tired of hearing that they are the folks defending our freedom. They are also the ones who are whacked going in and even more whacked coming out. They are also the ones who go into homes of innocent Americans confiscating weapons when Martial Law is declared (such as in Lousiana after Hurricane Katrina). Oh, I know, they were just following orders.

If I had any question about how I felt about you, this eliminated it.