Lorax Political?

Bini

I really want to see this on my date-night this weekend but I've heard it swings slightly political. I don't know since I haven't read any reviews on the movie itself (synopsis included), I just think it looks purrty and colourful :] I love animated films too!

Anyone seen this? Thoughts WITHOUT SPOILERS. Did you enjoy it?

It was great. But yes, political. Much more so than Avatar. But then, we're talking about a Dr. Seuss book. Dr. Seuss books are written to portray the politics of the Dr... which just happens to fall neatly in line with the environmentalist group's message who produced the movie. A perfect ready-made shrink-wrapped story to send the message to the kiddos. But hey, if you're teaching your kids your family philosophy, the Lorax can be just like Arriety... a fun escapism out of reality.

And that's one of the reasons I love Act of Valor (rated R). It is a military show that leaves politics out of the movie. The politics is left to each and every person's perception of the movie, not shoved down their throats.

Edited by anatess

It may be political, but keep in mind that "political" is not a synonym for "bad" or "wrong." Personally, I agree with the premise that we shouldn't be greedy, and shouldn't chop down all the trees. The book and movie may be simplistic, but they were written for kids, and the basic message is correct.

People who have a problem with The Lorax should also have a problem with The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien had a similar attitude to Dr. Seuss about greed, industrialization, and their potential negative impact on the environment. (And he was right, too! ;))

Ugh.. I hated Avatar. I know I'm in the minority with that one but I just didn't think it added up to its hype. That said, the CGI was stunning. Not arguing that. But the story.. BLEH.. Fern Gully was waaay better!

I'm all for saving the environment. If that's the message, that's' cool with me. I'm really excited to see it. Quote: THAT'S a woooman!? Hehe.

You guys! It is INTENDED to be political just like Avatar was intended to be political! That's what I understood Bini's question was!

Most everything ever produced aligns with somebody's politics... even, golly, name the most benign of movies, - Beauty and the Beast or something! That's not the point. The point is - was the movie produced to PROMOTE a political agenda? The answer in Lorax is YES. The answer in Avatar is YES. The answer in Act of Valor is YES. The answer to Arriety is NO.

Lorax was produced as part of the Forestry Service and the Ad Council's propaganda on environment protection.

Avatar was produced to send James Cameron's personal anti-war political message.

Act of Valor was produced in cooperation with the US Navy to help with recruitment efforts. That's why active duty Navy SEALs were authorized to "act" in the movie - their mission was recruitment.

Arriety on the other hand - Not part of propaganda at all. It was just nothing but a translation of The Borrowers to the big screen. It just happens to have a message that coincides with Occupy Wall Street movement. But it wasn't produced by the Occupiers or any of their supporters to promote their message.

Now, Lorax and Avatar, the politics is in your face. Act of Valor, not so much. It's just a bunch of military guys doing their thing. It's like a 100 minute version of their recruiting ads on TV - doesn't delve into the politics of sending military men out to war, just that there's this military men and they got some awesome skills. The politics is left up to each individual viewers perception of whether what they did was good or bad. The movie doesn't tell you.

Just because it aligns with your own political viewpoint doesn't make the movie non-political. Or whatever it is you were saying about how good environmentalism is. That's not the point.

Edited by anatess

Lorax was produced as part of the Forestry Service and the Ad Council's propaganda on environment protection.

You gotta love the use of the word "propaganda", implying that encouraging people to protect the environment is a bad thing.

Yet Act of Valor, which is very blatant propaganda, is perfectly acceptable.

And just to clarify, James Cameron's agenda was far more environmental than it was anti-war. This will be more evident in the sequels, which will more directly address the oceans on Pandora, as Cameron is very personally involved in trying to protect the oceans on earth. How DARE he try to protect our planet!

The Lorax (as properly written)

Onceler: How you doing my old friend?

Lorax: Well, at first, I didn't think that "Director of Sustainable Resources" would be a title I would like. But since you gave me a free hand to do whatever I like with the forest as long as I met your quotas, things are ok.

Onceler: Great! And how is the replanting program going?

Lorax: Excellent! Who would have thought that SwammySwan droppings would make such a great growth accelerator. Are you coming to the Barbelute Luau tonight?

Onceler: Wouldn't miss it for the world! After all, I can't spend all day rolling around in my piles of money.

Lorax: Whatever.

The End.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

You gotta love the use of the word "propaganda", implying that encouraging people to protect the environment is a bad thing.

Yet Act of Valor, which is very blatant propaganda, is perfectly acceptable.

And just to clarify, James Cameron's agenda was far more environmental than it was anti-war. This will be more evident in the sequels, which will more directly address the oceans on Pandora, as Cameron is very personally involved in trying to protect the oceans on earth. How DARE he try to protect our planet!

Oh my gosh. SINCE WHEN is PROPAGANDA a BAD word????

And where in my post, or any of the posts in this thread for that matter, did I or anybody say ENVIRONMENTALISM IS BAD???

All I am saying is - the propaganda in Lorax and Avatar are in your face - meaning the movie tells you what is good and what is bad. Act of Valor doesn't. And no, I NEVER did say war is good or bad either!

Get a grip people!!!

Edited by anatess

Okay, maybe my English is failing me again...

But, my understanding from this thread is that - if it agrees with your politics, the movie ceases to be political... And saying that a movie is political is the same as saying stay away from the movie.

Okay, I'm trying to wrap my brain around that and I just can't seem to get it. It doesn't make any lick of sense!

Anatess, I get what you're saying. And I agree for the most part, although, some films PUSH more than others. I'm sure that can be agreed upon too :]

Btw, will I (and DH) be the only adults in the cinema!? Haha. -Cough- I'm not bringing the baby so.. I can't claim that we're going cos of the "kids".. Lol.

Btw, will I (and DH) be the only adults in the cinema!? Haha. -Cough- I'm not bringing the baby so.. I can't claim that we're going cos of the "kids".. Lol.

And that's really why I said Lorax and Avatar push... Pushing is fine if you agree or are ambivalent with the politics being pushed. But, there are people who wouldn't go to a movie that pushes politics even if they agree with it. And that's just fine too.

I don't read Christian fiction much because I get tired of being preached to - even if I agree with what's being preached...

LOL! Well, my husband and I watched it :) ... so you might not be the only adults in the theater. But, yes, we had to sit through the movie with a bunch of rowdy children including crying babies...

You know, I really like... what's his name, the High School Musical guy... his voice. And Taylor Swift actually doesn't sound ditsy at all in this one! LOL.

Edited by anatess

And that's really why I said Lorax and Avatar push... Pushing is fine if you agree or are ambivalent with the politics being pushed. But, there are people who wouldn't go to a movie that pushes politics even if they agree with it. And that's just fine too.

I don't read Christian fiction much because I get tired of being preached to - even if I agree with what's being preached...

LOL! Well, my husband and I watched it :) ... so you might not be the only adults in the theater. But, yes, we had to sit through the movie with a bunch of rowdy children including crying babies...

You know, I really like... what's his name, the High School Musical guy... his voice. And Taylor Swift actually doesn't sound ditsy at all in this one! LOL.

Wait, I know this one.. You're talking about Zac Efron? I dunno if that's how you spell his name but I recognise his face. Years ago, High School music had a set down in St. George UT right off the golf course of Entrada. We could see the whole film crew out there from my parent's backyard. Funny thing is, I had never seen High School Musical and still never have!

But hey, if you're teaching your kids your family philosophy, the Lorax can be just like Arriety... a fun escapism out of reality.

Arriety from the borrowers?! I believe in borrowers. Maybe not Arriety exactly..but. I do believe little people exist.

I still remember the first time I related a Dr. Seuss story to history/politics. I think I was 12 or so. I was liek "oooooh!!!" It was an amazing moment.

Wait, I know this one.. You're talking about Zac Efron? I dunno if that's how you spell his name but I recognise his face. Years ago, High School music had a set down in St. George UT right off the golf course of Entrada. We could see the whole film crew out there from my parent's backyard. Funny thing is, I had never seen High School Musical and still never have!

That's him! Great actor, great singer, great dancer, and now great voice for animation too! Hmmm... is there something that guy can't do? I really like him in St. Cloud and 17 Again. Yes, I've never seen High School Musical either. But, I have tons of nieces who used to sing their songs every single time they're with me... and I've bought many a Christmas/Bday present on that theme.

It's kinda funny... When the "Horton" movie came out, with it's pro-life propaganda, nobody on Fox news complained. But now when the message is "Protect the environment so future generations can enjoy it too", suddenly having movies with messages is a bad thing.

Okay, I'm really not understanding you, clever. Who on Fox says having movies with messages is a bad thing? Granted, I don't watch Fox that often... but the only thing on Fox I know of that made a critique on this movie is Lou Dobbs. And he's not a political figure - he's a finance guy!

Hey, tons of political movies have been created... hello, J. Edgar... nobody says anything about them either!

And then you got not-created-for-propaganda movies like Arriety and their wealth redistribution message and nobody says anything about them either.

So... dunno. I think you're just having a wee bee in your bonnet from some kool-aid you've imbibed.

If you're so liking the message, go watch it! I have!

Here's a fun exercise. Watch Avatar and Aliens back to back. Both are about military endeavors, tough as nail marines. Both are led by a crooked money grubbing company. Both trying to protect their colonies from the indigenous beings, and trying to eradicate them from the planet. But in one movie, they are the villains, in the other, the heroes. One was made in a left wing dominated climate, the other, right wing. Also, the indigenous beings in one film were butterflies, and the other, cockroaches. Propaganda is a lot deeper than this thread makes it out to be. It also distorts truth. Do cockroaches deserve to die, but butterflies to thrive? Propaganda teaches us to view a neutral target as either a butterfly or a cockroach, when in fact it is neither. Propaganda is never noble.

Edited by bytebear