What if I'm not worthy

Mr_S

I'm 19, I have been since January, and I just barely got ordained an Elder.

When I was interviewing with the Bishop and the Stake I was honest and I answered the questions honestly. When I was asked if I considered myself worthy a small part of me said no but I said yes. I attributed it to the adversary trying to make me feel bad about myself. So I got ordained and now I'm starting to wonder if I really am worthy. I have mission plans and I really want to go; wanting to go on a mission was what got me back to the church and out of the bad place I had fallen into.

Lately my thoughts have been wandering, and while I try to keep them good bad thoughts always come in. I push them out when they come in but it bugs me that such thoughts even happen. Another thing worrying me is maybe there are some things in the past that I've repented for that maybe I forgot to talk about with my Bishop, or things that happened that while I did talk to my Bishop in a broad sense I could have maybe explained in greater detail.

I don't know if it's Satan trying to bring me down, or if maybe I'm not worthy of the Melchizedek priesthood. It's starting to really bug me.

This wednesday I'm talking with my Bishop. We're going to start the process of getting my papers turned in. I plan to talk about my concerns with him but right now I need somebody to talk to and I really just need some outside opinions.

Provided that you can answer truthfully and honestly the questions below then you are deemed 'worthy'.

None of us like the last question, by the way. It seems immodest to say yes to that question.

If you know in your heart that you are Choosing the Right now then leave the past behind where it belongs, in the past and move forward with your life.

Good luck with your Mission application

1. Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?

2. Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Christ and of His role as Savior and Redeemer?

3. Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?

4. Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?

5. Do you live the law of chastity?

6. Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?

7. Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

8. Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?

9. Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?

10. Are you a full-tithe payer? Do your keep the Word of Wisdom?

11. Do you have financial or other obligations to a former spouse or children? If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?

12. If you have previously received your temple endowment: Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple? Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?

13. Have there been any sins or misdeeds in your life that should have been resolved with priesthood authorities but have not been?

14. Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?

This wednesday I'm talking with my Bishop. We're going to start the process of getting my papers turned in. I plan to talk about my concerns with him but right now I need somebody to talk to and I really just need some outside opinions.

My thoughts are that your Bishop can help clear your doubt if you trust him when he tells you something is or isn't an issue. So i think you are on the right track. I understand that the question can be hard, it's easy for something good, introspection, to become something bad by running wild and undermining earlier trust in the atonement.

When I reactivated I had several such moments where after talking with the Bishop the next day I would remember something and agonize over if I should have told him. My Bishop was understanding and patient with me as all told it took me several visits with him to finally clear my chest of everything that kept on popping into my head. I decided I would rather bombard my Bishop with stuff he didn't actually need told rather than continue in doubt. In my case it happened before being ordained but it seems a similar situation.

We all have doubts, fears, and feelings of unworthiness. The question isn't asking whether you are perfect, but worthy. If you are keeping the law of chastity, word of wisdom, tithing, and attending church, and are not robbing banks or committing felonies, then you are most likely worthy.

It is okay to doubt. It is through questioning ourselves that we find ourselves and what is of greatest worth in our lives. As it is, we all have bad thoughts of one kind or another on occasion. These do not make us unworthy. Only if we act out in bad behavior that we become unworthy.

A friend of mine (who is currently serving as a bishop) always says, when he's being interviewed for a temple recommend, that no, he is not worthy. As Romans 3:10 says, "There is none righteous, no, not one," and my friend will quote that scripture to the interviewer. They've been through this before with him, so they always roll their eyes as if to say "Here we go again!" and they know that he does meet the requirements for a temple recommend, but he thinks that's kind of a dumb question to ask. :lol:

We are all sinners, but there are degrees of unrighteousness. The Church sets certain standards for people to meet in order to enter the temple, but they do recognize that none of us are perfect.

So what I'm saying is that you're probably being too hard on yourself. Don't fret about it too much. Go to the temple, go on a mission, or whatever. Don't get depressed about not being perfect--that wouldn't help anything--but it's good that you want to continually strive to improve yourself. Keep it up! :)

HEP

When I was interviewing with the Bishop and the Stake I was honest and I answered the questions honestly. When I was asked if I considered myself worthy a small part of me said no but I said yes. I attributed it to the adversary trying to make me feel bad about myself. So I got ordained and now I'm starting to wonder if I really am worthy. I have mission plans and I really want to go; wanting to go on a mission was what got me back to the church and out of the bad place I had fallen into.

In my view, "Do you consider yourself worthy to hold the Priesthood?" (or its temple recommend equivalent, "Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the house of the Lord?") is a failsafe catchall, designed to give the person being interviewed a chance to say, "Well, you know, there IS something that never came up before, but I really wonder about it..."

Otherwise, the most honest response would probably always be, "No, of course I'm not worthy because of my own efforts to receive these blessings by right." But that is not the intent of the question.

Provided that you can answer truthfully and honestly the questions below then you are deemed 'worthy'.

None of us like the last question, by the way. It seems immodest to say yes to that question.

If you know in your heart that you are Choosing the Right now then leave the past behind where it belongs, in the past and move forward with your life.

1. Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?

2. Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Christ and of His role as Savior and Redeemer?

3. Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?

4. Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?

6. Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?

7. Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

8. Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?

11. Do you have financial or other obligations to a former spouse or children? If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?

12. If you have previously received your temple endowment: Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple? Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?

13. Have there been any sins or misdeeds in your life that should have been resolved with priesthood authorities but have not been?

14. Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?

When I was interviewing to be an Elder nothing came to mind. But it's just now that things are popping up...

#7 can be interpreted so broadly. For example, what if you are a teacher in a school system that teaches students something the church opposes? What if you support a candidate who happens to support an issue that the church opposes? What if your non-LDS wife drinks coffee?

I'm 19, I have been since January, and I just barely got ordained an Elder.

When I was interviewing with the Bishop and the Stake I was honest and I answered the questions honestly. When I was asked if I considered myself worthy a small part of me said no but I said yes. I attributed it to the adversary trying to make me feel bad about myself. So I got ordained and now I'm starting to wonder if I really am worthy.

I'm 42, and have been since January, and I've had been an elder for almost 13 years. Guess what? Every time I am asked if I feel I am worthy, a little bit of me says no. I don't feel its the Adversary, but my own recognition that I am mortal, human, and not perfect. Guess what else? I still answer yes.

In my opinion, anyone who doesn't have a small bit of doubt regarding their own worthiness is the one who has the Adversary with them, telling them that all is well in Zion. Again, that's just my opinion.

#7 can be interpreted so broadly. For example, what if you are a teacher in a school system that teaches students something the church opposes? What if you support a candidate who happens to support an issue that the church opposes? What if your non-LDS wife drinks coffee?
Yeah, it can be interpreted broadly, but it doesn't have to be. In fact, if you ask whoever is asking you the questions about it, they'll clarify that this question is referring to apostate groups. There's always vigorous discussion around prop 8 and whatnot, but I haven't heard of anyone losing a temple recommend over being against prop 8.

Our bishop knows that my wife occasionally buys cigarettes for people trying to wean themselves off of meth. Her Temple Recommend card is active.