The government is getting scary...

When we at last definitely come into our kingdom by the aid

of coups d'etat prepared everywhere for one and the same day,

after the worthlessness of all existing forms of government has

been definitely acknowledged (and not a little time will pass

before that comes about, perhaps even a whole century) we shall

make it our task to see that against us such things as plots

shall no longer exist.

I believe that all is in God's hands. I do not fear what may or may not happen, because I'm busily preparing myself spiritually. The prophets have told us to get out of debt, have a year's supply, and so I'm pretty much ready temporally.

Now, my responsibility is to share the gospel of Christ, and invite others to believe in Him and receive of the goodness of his covenants.

Back before the year 2000, when we worried about Y2K and the crash of all computers, President Boyd K Packer said that if it happened, we would just all grab our scriptures and go out and preach as they did in the old days.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

coup d'état

: a sudden decisive exercise of force in politics; especially : the violent overthrow or alteration of an existing government by a small group

(Merriam Webster)

The government is getting scary...

When we at last definitely come into our kingdom by the aid

of coups d'etat prepared everywhere for one and the same day,

after the worthlessness of all existing forms of government has

been definitely acknowledged (and not a little time will pass

before that comes about, perhaps even a whole century) we shall

make it our task to see that against us such things as plots

shall no longer exist.

I live in a democratic republic. I like the freedoms I enjoy, and support my form of government. Today I got to exercise my right to vote by voting in the primary election of my state. Since a coup d'état is the forceful, especially violent, overthrow of an existing government by a small group, it is by definition undemocratic and you are talking treason.

From what you wrote, it sounds as though you hope to be part of the ruling elite that accomplishes the overthrow of the people's chosen government, and that you would do everything you could to make sure the people don't rise up and force you back out. If that is what you mean, I hope the authorities hunt you down, catch you, and throw you in prison for the rest of your rotten, stinking, miserable life.

If the moderators want to censure me for saying something so harsh that it might hurt somebody's feelings, then in my opinion they'd better rethink their policies about protecting people who advocate treason.

Filthy traitor!

Edited by HEthePrimate

Ok, my response was deleted by the mods. Normally that would irritate me, but this time I don't mind. I spoke hastily, and in anger, and I came back here to edit my own post anyway, so the mods saved me the trouble.

Nevertheless, I do want to make my basic point again, without getting carried away this time. ;)

Here's the definition of a coup d'état:

A sudden decisive exercise of force in politics; especially : the violent overthrow or alteration of an existing government by a small group. (Merriam-Webster)

I live in a democratic republic, chosen by the people in elections. In fact, just this morning I participated in the democratic process by voting in my state's primary election. If a small group carried out a coup d'état in my country it would, by definition, be undemocratic, and an act of treason. They would be forcing their will upon the people, rather than letting the people choose their own government.

I don't know if that's what the original poster meant, or if s/he was referring to the Second Coming of Jesus, or what. But I do want it to be known that I object to the idea of the forceful overthrow of my government, and urge people to be careful what they wish for, and what language they use.

If you did mean the Second Coming of Christ, that still brings up some questions. When Jesus comes again, will it be by coup d'état, and will he rule over the world without the people's consent, without giving them any choices, and without letting them participate in their own governance? Or perhaps he will rule, but let us make some/many of our own decisions? I just have my doubts that Jesus would abandon what we won in the War in Heaven. Anyway, that's largely a matter of speculation.

Thanks.

</soapbox>

This is something a friend of mine posted on Facebook:

WARNING: I’m about to burst your doomsday bubble for all you doomsdayers out there—

There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45 BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would be July 28, 2013.

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year… so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago.

:lol:

I've never understood all this focus on the end of the world. I've always gone by, 'ye know neither the day nor the hour.' Why spend our energy worrying about whether this year or whatever year is the end? We don't know. Do good and live righteously, then you don't need to worry about the end.

I've never understood all this focus on the end of the world. I've always gone by, 'ye know neither the day nor the hour.' Why spend our energy worrying about whether this year or whatever year is the end? We don't know. Do good and live righteously, then you don't need to worry about the end.

Exactly the point I made in another thread. Thanks Dahlia.

I was talking to my kids yesterday and they found (on the internet... if you can believe the internet) that when the 2012 date (Mayan Calendar) was calculated to our calendar,... leap year was overlooked and when re-calculated, (gulp!)... the end of the world occured 7 months ago (or there abouts).

:estaloco:

Ooooops! I didn't see the earlier post. :lol:

Edited by Magen_Avot

I was talking to my kids yesterday and they found (on the internet... if you can believe the internet) that when the 2012 date (Mayan Calendar) was calculated to our calendar,... leap year was overlooked and when re-calculated, (gulp!)... the end of the world occured 7 months ago (or there abouts).

Actually, this explains a lot.

Actually, this explains a lot.

So the truth comes out finally. We are all in a state of extreme denial and have not passed on completely to the next world. We must educate people that after death we need to find the light and walk to it and not hang around on this dead world pretending to still be alive.

Lets get on with it!

Actually, the Mayan calendar needs no leap year. The way the long and short calendars are used in it, covers the time frames differently than we do in our linear method. As it is now calculated, the Mayan calendar ends on Dec 21, 2012, and then starts up again. Remember, the Mayan Calendar does not go with 7 day week/12 month year, as the Julian/Gregorian calendars do, so there is no need to adjust by one day every 4 years.

Actually, the Mayan calendar needs no leap year. The way the long and short calendars are used in it, covers the time frames differently than we do in our linear method. As it is now calculated, the Mayan calendar ends on Dec 21, 2012, and then starts up again. Remember, the Mayan Calendar does not go with 7 day week/12 month year, as the Julian/Gregorian calendars do, so there is no need to adjust by one day every 4 years.

Way to burst our bubble, Rame! C'mon, if they can end their world in May 2012, we can make our world end in August, 2011, right?

:D