gotta keep word of wisdom it to take sacrament?

jdf135

I dont think I would smoke a cigarette before church then take the sacrament. For things like that it probably a good idea to have a chat with the bishop about it so he knows the specifics. For instance if you feel pepsi is against the word of wisdom it might be different than getting falling down drunk on saturday night before going to church the next day.

I know how I would feel but we have had an incident in our ward with one member telling a returning/less active member they should not partake -- and they didn't do it tactfully (i.e. offense was taken) . The returning member should be talking to the bishop but they are not yet comfortable with that.

Just wondering about "rules." I don't have ready access to the manuals that might give better direction.

The only one who should advise someone to abstain from sacrament is the bishop. You can decide for yourself that you shouldn't take the sacrament over something you've done, but it is never your place to extend such decisions/judgement over another. In your example, the member who told the person not to partake was in the wrong. The decision to partake or not partake of the sacrament is up to the individual and/or the bishop. Nobody else.

A penitent attitude is important to consider in these cases. If someone is actively trying to give their addiction, taking the sacrament is probably appropriate. Someone who has no intention of quitting probably shouldn't.

The simple fact that someone hasn't honored all of the restrictions of the word of wisdom isn't enough reason to refuse the sacrament. There needs to be more information to make this decision.