Should I offer to help pay?

lizzy16

So, my home teacher is really nice and does a lot for me and my roommates. He's so willing and helpful to do whatever I need and its really sweet. So, I'm in an auto class and I ask him if I can look at his car. He's all "Sure liz! ect." So we decide to meet up today. And, he comes to my apartment, I open the door we chit chat for a second and we go to his car.

So, he starts to pop the hood and then sees a parking ticket. He didn't have a permit to park on campus which he didn't realize he needed for parking right outside the dorms.

I apologized a few times and everytime he was just like 'No big deal. I'll just go in and talk to them. ect. It's okay. It's not your fault."

So. I feel really bad. He wouldn't have gotten that ticket if I hadn't asked him to come over so I could use his car.

He's coming over on Sunday. I plan on asking him if he went in yet, appealed it ect. Should I offer to help pay? Is that the right thing to do?

I don't think I'll be asking him to let me use his car again :/

First, I think it's good manners to offer (or even insist) to help pay.

Was the area marked clearly that he needed a permit?

Of course, now you'll know that everytime you invite someone to your dorm, you'll tell them where & how to park. :)

Theres signs yeah but i can easily see how someone could just drive up and park to see someone and not realize it. I'm insiting right now. He's the kinda person thats going to be like "no big deal dont worry about it." which drives me insane. Because, I want to do right with this all.

Nope, I wouldn't offer. He's a big boy and can read signs. He's the one who has responsibility for his car and where he parks.

If he had gotten a speeding ticket on his way to your place, would you feel responsible for paying that? (serious question, I'm trying to understand why you feel responsible)

Nope, I wouldn't offer. He's a big boy and can read signs. He's the one who has responsibility for his car and where he parks.

If he had gotten a speeding ticket on his way to your place, would you feel responsible for paying that? (serious question, I'm trying to understand why you feel responsible)

I wouldn't feel responsible for that because its a law for the road. On campus parking can be tricky and he wouldn't have brought his car over if I hadn't asked to see it. Normally he walks over, and I was going to walk to his place but he offered to just drive here instead.

I haven't heard back from him and I sent him the text probably 6 hours ago. If he doesn't respond I plan on offering again when he comes over to HT me.