Don't Understand

Tyler90AZ

Is a Bishop suppose to layout a course to the Temple? I can take the Sacrament, but I want to know when I can enter the Temple. Two weeks ago he said in a month now he says he don't know. He tells me it is by what he feels. Is it what he feels or what God feels? I am perplexed...

Are you asking when as a date or as a situation? He can probably better answer the second than the first. I would only expect an answer for the first one if the situation was such that I was where I needed to be but the Bishop just needed me to demonstrate consistency (and I could see even if I felt like all I had to do was demonstrate consistency that the Bishop is still trying to decide if such is the case). If I had changes I needed to make before I was worthy to go to the Temple I could understand why a Bishop wouldn't be able to give me a date as it's going to depend on how fast I progress.

Edited by Dravin

Hidden

Are you asking when as a date or as a situation? He can probably better answer the second than the first. I would only expect an answer for the first one if the situation was such that I was where I needed to be but the Bishop just needed me to demonstrate consistency (and I could see even if I felt like all I had to do was demonstrate consistency that the Bishop is still trying to decide if such is the case). If I had changes I needed to make before I was worthy to go to the Temple I could understand why a Bishop wouldn't be able to give me a date as it's going to depend on how fast I progress.

Thank You

I was just a little disappointed that two weeks prior I was told something different then now. Two weeks ago I had my mind trained and ready to accept the fact I might have to wait a few months for the Temple, if Bishop said. It came as a shock today when he said well you have to wait longer and did not give me a time frame. Nothing against the Bishop, I think he is great, i am just a little shaken up. Nothing has changed in the two weeks. The reason he cited was ludicrous, he said because I don't get along with my in-laws. It seems like an intelligent person would know there is two sides to every story. That then makes me wonder why is anybody else influencing his decision. I know God is not telling him because the in-laws are the ones who refuse to talk to me. My wife even thought it was completely ludicrous and she knows the whole situation.

A lot depends on your situation. Generally you need to be an active participating member for at least a year. Also, if you are young enough to go on a mission or prepare for marriage there may be a hesitancy to push the temple separate from those events. Also, if you are married to a non-member there may be issues there that need to be considered. And lastly if he sees some strife that is impeding your focus on spiritual things (like animosity with family -regardless of who is at fault) he may want you to work on forgiving others as well as your own forgiveness.

Have you expressed your concerns to the bishop? I imagine he would be able to explain in greater detail where he's coming from if you ask.

I don't know your specific situation, but as mentioned, it is standard to wait at least a year after a person joins the Church before they attend the temple. Also, if someone has engaged in serious sin and been disciplined, there is typically a waiting period before the discipline is over and the person can return to the temple.

But do feel free to openly discuss your feelings and questions with your bishop. If he is a reasonable person, he will be willing to discuss them with you.

Peace,

HEP

Is a Bishop suppose to layout a course to the Temple? I can take the Sacrament, but I want to know when I can enter the Temple. Two weeks ago he said in a month now he says he don't know. He tells me it is by what he feels. Is it what he feels or what God feels? I am perplexed...

It is sometimes difficult to remember that a quorum president and Bishop needs to consider how to best bless the lives of members they serve.

I know that this may sometimes seem contradictory when it means waiting longer for blessings of getting the Melchizedek Priesthood or a Temple Recommend.

I am sure this is the case for you. You are doing the right thing by seeking the Lord in prayer about it.

:twothumbsup:

To be honest, I talked it over with my wife and were not even concerned about going to the Temple no more. If it happens, it happens, no point in stressing about a decision that makes no sense, in my mind. It is not worth letting it effect my spiritual progress, for the first time in my life I want to emulate Christ with all my might.

To be honest, I talked it over with my wife and were not even concerned about going to the Temple no more. If it happens, it happens, no point in stressing about a decision that makes no sense, in my mind. It is not worth letting it effect my spiritual progress, for the first time in my life I want to emulate Christ with all my might.

The attitude that you just expressed.......just moved you a giant step closer to Eternity :) We should all focus on that one Eternal goal

I think maybe you just got the point of the teaching moment. Good for you! We need to learn to bend our will to the Lords and then we can move forward. It may not be fun and we most likely will not see it until after it is done but all things work together for our good. Don't give up on the temple ... that is your reward for enduring to the end and doing it well. The doing it well part is the part we so often forget.

Who stands under greater condemnation?

A non-member who drinks coffee

A LDS member who drinks coffee

It is not morally wrong for a non-member to drink coffee. Addicting? Yes. Immoral? No.

The reason it is immoral for a LDS member to drink coffee is because we've covenanted not to.

Moroni 8

22 For behold that all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all them that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, cannot repent; and unto such baptism availeth nothing—

Whose stands under greater condemnation?

A non-member who has pre-marital sex

An endowed LDS member who has pre-marital sex

D&C 82

3 For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation.

When we sin we grant the Adversary power over us.

D&C 1

33 And he that repents not, from him shall be taken even the light which he has received; for my Spirit shall not always strive with man, saith the Lord of Hosts.

A non-endowed LDS member who comits sin "A"

A endowed LDS member who also comits sin "A"

Having brought forth fruit meet of repentance, were you to fall into and embrace these sins again, it would be better that it happen before you are endowed.

D&C 82

7 And now, verily I say unto you, .... unto that soul who sinneth shall the former sins return, saith the Lord your God.

For an example of the increased severity that comes with breaking covenants I refer you to D&C 106.

I write all these things to try and explain my understanding as to why you now wait.

Until a Bishop has felt through the spirit that the repentant sinner is both read and worthy to take out these covenants, for their own protection, it is better that he have you wait then allow you to prematurely take out these covenants only to afterwards fall back into sin.

Brother, I feel for your desire to enter the temple for I once stood where you stand now. Continue to be faithful and patient and you will get there.

If nothing else, take this as an opportunity to show your willingness and faithfulness in upholding your priesthood leaders =).

Also, might I recommend further work on the readiness? The temple preparation courses would be a good place to start and reading books on the temple like "The Holy Temple" by Boyd K. Paker and "The House of the Lord" by James E. Talmage would be wonderful as well.

A non-member who drinks coffee

A LDS member who drinks coffee

It is not morally wrong for a non-member to drink coffee. Addicting? Yes. Immoral? No.

The reason it is immoral for a LDS member to drink coffee is because we've covenanted not to.

Whose stands under greater condemnation?

A non-member who has pre-marital sex

An endowed LDS member who has pre-marital sex

When we sin we grant the Adversary power over us.

A non-endowed LDS member who comits sin "A"

A endowed LDS member who also comits sin "A"

Having brought forth fruit meet of repentance, were you to fall into and embrace these sins again, it would be better that it happen before you are endowed.

For an example of the increased severity that comes with breaking covenants I refer you to D&C 106.

I write all these things to try and explain my understanding as to why you now wait.

Until a Bishop has felt through the spirit that the repentant sinner is both read and worthy to take out these covenants, for their own protection, it is better that he have you wait then allow you to prematurely take out these covenants only to afterwards fall back into sin.

Brother, I feel for your desire to enter the temple for I once stood where you stand now. Continue to be faithful and patient and you will get there.

If nothing else, take this as an opportunity to show your willingness and faithfulness in upholding your priesthood leaders =).

Also, might I recommend further work on the readiness? The temple preparation courses would be a good place to start and reading books on the temple like "The Holy Temple" by Boyd K. Paker and "The House of the Lord" by James E. Talmage would be wonderful as well.

Emphasis added

I think you made an important point where our willingness to remain supportive of church leaders is concerned.

Please explain where you see the WoW becoming a covenant... or rather just that small part of the WoW asked about during the temple interview process. My curiosity comes from the realization that members sometimes use vernacular with a different thought than what I am thinking. As you used the "Who stands under greater condemnation" examples giving only a choice of a non-member and a member I was a little confused at what you meant. :confused:

Edited by Magen_Avot

The question to ask yourself is: Am I still struggling [backsliding] with the problem(s) that kept from going to the temple in the first place? If the answer is, Yes I am still struggling to overcome this/these issue(s), you need more time. It is of no use to go and make sacred covenants unless we are totally committed to keeping them. That's where the power of the temple comes from.

This power can be gain/regained by holding to the iron rod...reading the scriptures daily and having daily communication with our Father in Heaven....Once we consistently hold to the rod over time, the Holy Ghost will let us know that we are ready to enter the temple and make sacred, eternal covenants. Until then, God still loves us and we should also love ourselves and the positive steps we are making.

Tyler, are you a member of the lds chruch? if so your under his yoke if you allow him to have that power over you, or you can call out to the LORD from zion (your heart) and the name above all names will guide and protect you and he will open the widows of heaven for you... he will lead and protect you..if you seek religion you can follow your bishop and his prophet but if you want freedom that comes from the Lord Jesus Christ, seek first the kingdom of heaven and all else will be added on to you. best luck!!! cause I have no luck ;)

Tyler, are you a member of the lds chruch? if so your under his yoke if you allow him to have that power over you, or you can call out to the LORD from zion (your heart) and the name above all names will guide and protect you and he will open the widows of heaven for you... he will lead and protect you..if you seek religion you can follow your bishop and his prophet but if you want freedom that comes from the Lord Jesus Christ, seek first the kingdom of heaven and all else will be added on to you. best luck!!! cause I have no luck ;)

No man or women has power over me, well except my wife... Although I will proudly say I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I believe in Jesus Christ and that he speaks through the Prophets. You can test that statement out yourself by watching General Conference April 1 on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Being an LDS Member wanting to enter the Temple we have to prove ourselves worthy.

Our Bishops and Stake Presidents have the 'power of discernment' given to them through their Calling, by the power of the Priesthood. In plain English that means that they have been bestowed with the power to recognise whether a member sitting before them is, in fact, 'worthy'.

When we have our Temple Recommend Interview the Bishop/Stake President is in place of Christ, to question us, to make sure that we fully understand the Covenants that we are wanting to take upon ourselves. They are able to ascertain if a member is lying/covering up in order to get a Recommend.

Believe me when I say that they definitely know what they are doing.

When the member is in the right place, in the right frame of mind, in the right place as far as the Gospel goes, they will get the Recommend that allows them to take their Covenants in the Temple.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Being an LDS Member wanting to enter the Temple we have to prove ourselves worthy.

Our Bishops and Stake Presidents have the 'power of discernment' given to them through their Calling, by the power of the Priesthood. In plain English that means that they have been bestowed with the power to recognise whether a member sitting before them is, in fact, 'worthy'.

When we have our Temple Recommend Interview the Bishop/Stake President is in place of Christ, to question us, to make sure that we fully understand the Covenants that we are wanting to take upon ourselves. They are able to ascertain if a member is lying/covering up in order to get a Recommend.

Believe me when I say that they definitely know what they are doing.

When the member is in the right place, in the right frame of mind, in the right place as far as the Gospel goes, they will get the Recommend that allows them to take their Covenants in the Temple.

Well people make mistakes, cause I was indeed worthy. The bold part was the reason I was given.

Edited by Tyler90AZ

This is certainly not what we, as LDS, believe. We believe in following the counsel and guidance from our church leaders which include our Bishops. This would also be with the guidance of the Holy Ghost through prayer and personal revelation.