Gift of the Holy Ghost?

If you a person goes inactive, engages in unclean behavior (i.e. drinking, engaging in premarital sex, questioning God) but decided to come back to the Church and repent, would they be able to get the Gift of the Holy Ghost Back? That is, if they were already baptized and received the Gift once before, but the Spirit left them because of their decisions, could the Spirit come back and remain with them once more? Just curious because I was inactive for about a year and am now just going back to Church. I felt the Spirit when I was studying and it struck me to think about if I could ever have it stay with me always. That is of course as long as I keep the Lord's Commandments.

The Lord does not dwell in unclean places. Thus, if you have felt the Spirit, it is a good bet that your repentance has been met with acceptance by the Lord and the promise of the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, so long as one is worthy, is again possible.

The Lord does not dwell in unclean places. Thus, if you have felt the Spirit, it is a good bet that your repentance has been met with acceptance by the Lord and the promise of the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, so long as one is worthy, is again possible.

The lord does not dwell in unclean places??? Let me tell you, the Lord does not have any other choice. We are all unclean. all have come short. There is non righteous, not one. It is only through Jesus that we can have a relationship with God the Father and it is His work and righteousness that is accounted to us when we first believed. (Abraham believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness) A gift given to us freely by grace through faith. Once that is done He will never leave us or forsake us. You might turn away from the Spirit (that is called being double minded) but the spirit (God) will never leave you. Why do I know this? Because it is God's word and it is the Truth and the Life. His word is absolute.

The lord does not dwell in unclean places??? Let me tell you, the Lord does not have any other choice. We are all unclean. all have come short. There is non righteous, not one. It is only through Jesus that we can have a relationship with God the Father and it is His work and righteousness that is accounted to us when we first believed. (Abraham believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness) A gift given to us freely by grace through faith. Once that is done He will never leave us or forsake us. You might turn away from the Spirit (that is called being double minded) but the spirit (God) will never leave you. Why do I know this? Because it is God's word and it is the Truth and the Life. His word is absolute.

Uhm, wow, aggressive.

Yes, you are speaking of the Light of Christ. I was speaking about the Gift of the Holy Ghost. What the OP asked about in the first place.

Edited by slamjet

Uhm, wow, aggressive.

Yes, you are speaking of the Light of Christ. I was speaking about the Gift of the Holy Ghost. What the OP asked about in the first place.

They are one. One God. Three parts. Father, Son and Spirit. Just as you are three parts. Spirit, Soul and Body. You were made in God's image. Three parts. Sorry about being aggressive. I am passionate and sure about this. I am not ashamed of the Gospel.

Edited by Maygraceabound

One God. Three distinct personages.....not parts.God the Father is a Glorified being of flesh and bone and Jesus Christ is a glorified being of flesh and bone and the Holy Spirit is a personage of Spirit and they are One God. One in purpose, not in substance. We believe the Spirit and the Body are the soul of man and that we are literally created in HIS image.

They are one. One God. Three parts. Father, Son and Spirit. Just as you are three parts. Spirit, Soul and Body. You were made in God's image. Three parts. Sorry about being aggressive. I am passionate and sure about this. I am not ashamed of the Gospel.

Well, we see things a little differently. God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are three separate and distinct beings. God and Christ having perfected bodies of flesh and bones and the Holy Ghost, being a person of spirit so that he can dwell and his influence can reside within us and testify to us what is true.

As for what is relevant to this posting, we believe that all persons are born with, and have the Light of Christ as a gift as a result of the Atonement. It is essentially our conscience. It is what lets us know what is right and wrong. We also believe that after baptism by immersion, one is confirmed with the Gift of the Holy Ghost. One of the promises from baptism is that the Holy Ghost will be a constant companion above and beyond the Light of Christ so long as a baptized person is worthy. That worthiness is dependent on one's attitude to strive to keep the commandments of God that Christ gave to us during his ministry, and through His Prophets.

It is this Gift of the Holy Ghost that the OP was referring to. So long as the OP is striving to do God's will by keeping His commandments and repenting and forsaking sins the OP committed, then God may see him as a clean vessel that the influence of the Holy Ghost can once again reside with.

I do not want to hijack the original subject. The Trinity has already been discussed and I do not want to go there now. The question was about the Holy Spirit departing because of a sin. When you are born again (when you first believe in Jesus) your spirit becomes that same spirit of Jesus. We know we all sin and James 2:10 is the great equalizer of sin. If sin requires the withdrawal of the Holy Spirit then none of us can obtain it. However, we have Jesus. It is His righteousness and His work that is reckoned to our account. God sees the believer through the sacrifice of Jesus. I can assure you that the spirit never left you. You were double minded and followed the lust of your flesh. Something we are all guilty of. Don't we have a great God? He loves you very much and His love has no conditions. You can not be born again, again.

Maygraceaboumd....it might be helpful to state that it is your personal belief or a teaching of your particular faith or denomination so we can understand better your views. It should be noted that the views you have expressed are not doctrinally correct in the eyes of Latter Day Saints.

Maygraceaboumd....it might be helpful to state that it is your personal belief or a teaching of your particular faith or denomination so we can understand better your views. It should be noted that the views you have expressed are not doctrinally correct in the eyes of Latter Day Saints.

It should also be noted this is the LDS Gospel Discussion sub-forum. People asking questions here are asking them with respect to LDS Doctrine.

I realize Dravin already put a warning in this thread..but I'm going to put one too as a head moderator and manager of lds.net.

Just a friendly reminder that this particular forum is LDS gospel discussion. If someone would like to discuss how other Christian religions differ, they can post that in Christian beliefs. This particular forum isn't open for debate as to whether LDS are right or wrong.

The Godhead is a slam dunk doctrine!

If you explain to somebody that knows nothing about Christianity, what the Godhead is and the Trinity, they will say, well obviously the Godhead must be the true one. The problem is that Christians who believe in the Trinity, can't put pride aside and do a truthful analyze of both doctrines. The Bible even lends more credence to the Godhead being true.

If you a person goes inactive, engages in unclean behavior (i.e. drinking, engaging in premarital sex, questioning God) but decided to come back to the Church and repent, would they be able to get the Gift of the Holy Ghost Back? That is, if they were already baptized and received the Gift once before, but the Spirit left them because of their decisions, could the Spirit come back and remain with them once more? Just curious because I was inactive for about a year and am now just going back to Church. I felt the Spirit when I was studying and it struck me to think about if I could ever have it stay with me always. That is of course as long as I keep the Lord's Commandments.

To get this back on topic, yes the Holy Ghost will come back. I can testify to that, God is anxious to allow you to have the Holy Ghost. The first sign of repentance you show, mercy will be granted unto you. If that was not the case, God would cease to be all loving and there would be no God. Which we know is false, God loves you so much and wants you to come back into the fold.

Re-baptism means re-confirmation and thus the gift of the Holy Ghost can be conferred at that time.....That is for those members who are excommunicated....No reason to think a LAM cannot obtain that same gift if they make the necessary adjustments in their lives and become temple-worthy.

Sacrament worthy...actually once you have the Holy Ghost conferred on you, it will reside with you if your clean, Sacrament or not. Heck I have it before I was even baptized lol

It is a process, not a one time thing. The Doctrine of Christ is explained by both Nephi and Jesus (2 Ne 31, 3 Ne 11) as this:

The Godhead is one, and we must learn to be one with each other, in order to be one with them. We learn to achieve this unity through the following process:

1. Faith in Christ

2. Repentance

3. Ordinances (Baptism, Sacrament, temple, etc)

4. We receive the Holy Ghost

5. Endure to the End.

This is a cycle. As we develop faith and repent, the Sacrament and other ordinances engage us in making and renewing covenants with God. As we sincerely do this, the Holy Spirit will indwell or be infused into us to the level we are ready for.

As we are filled with the Spirit we will "no longer desire to do evil, but to do good continually" (Mosiah 5:1-4). At that point, we develop greater faith, recognize new weaknesses we have, repent of them, renew our covenants through ordinances, and receive a greater infusion of the Spirit.

Eventually, we will be so filled constantly with the Spirit, that we will be ready to receive the Second Comforter, even Jesus Christ.

Denying the Holy Ghost means you have become the complete enemy of Christ. As with Cain, you know God well and still choose to worship the darkness and Satan instead. Such people seek to get gain by any means possible, including murder. I highly doubt you have gone that far in your life.

Edited by rameumptom

It is a process, not a one time thing. The Doctrine of Christ is explained by both Nephi and Jesus (2 Ne 31, 3 Ne 11) as this:

The Godhead is one, and we must learn to be one with each other, in order to be one with them. We learn to achieve this unity through the following process:

1. Faith in Christ

2. Repentance

3. Ordinances (Baptism, Sacrament, temple, etc)

4. We receive the Holy Ghost

5. Endure to the End.

This is a cycle. As we develop faith and repent, the Sacrament and other ordinances engage us in making and renewing covenants with God. As we sincerely do this, the Holy Spirit will indwell or be infused into us to the level we are ready for.

As we are filled with the Spirit we will "no longer desire to do evil, but to do good continually" (Mosiah 5:1-4). At that point, we develop greater faith, recognize new weaknesses we have, repent of them, renew our covenants through ordinances, and receive a greater infusion of the Spirit.

Eventually, we will be so filled constantly with the Spirit, that we will be ready to receive the Second Comforter, even Jesus Christ.

Excellent post

Frankly, I've never met anybody who was constantly filled with the Holy Ghost. From what I understand, the Holy Ghost even left Jesus for a time, when he was on the cross, though obviously not for worthiness reasons. I view it more as a thing of the Holy Ghost will be there when you need it, but much of the time you're just fine functioning on your own. In fact, my guess would be that God wants us to function on our own quite a lot, as part of our training/learning process, hence the Veil, and constantly being filled with the Holy Ghost would be counterproductive.

What does it mean to deny the holy ghost? If you say to yourself you don't want it anymore?

Yes, in the micro sense. To refuse the promptings and actually say within yourself - "Go away! I don't want your advice!" Is to deny the Holy Ghost -- but only in a 'micro' sense. This *can* be forgiven, through intense desire to restore the relationship combined with "good" actions. My dearth lasted almost 10 years, and I was active in the Church the whole time.

It is the macro sense of denying the Holy Ghost, after He has led you to not only the witness of Christ, but also to the visitation of Christ, that such denial is irreparable. Most people never even get close.

I did this many many years ago and sometimes feel as if trying to repair the mess I have made of my life is a lost cause.

I understand, but this is the influence of Satan. He's got the person that feels this way right where he wants them. But through the grace and love of Jesus Christ, this need not be so. Christ wants us to throw off the chains of hell through His love and sacrifice -- and it's right there for each of us to use and thereby become free!

This is the Good News!

HiJolly

OK, the moderator said that I can not defend myself here as I am talking about Jesus's Gospel and not the LDS gospel. This forum is for LDS gospel only. One last thought....Please, do not be so quick to abandon the Gospel that saved you for another. Please read Galatians. It will only take you twenty minutes. His Gospel is there. His Gospel makes you feel good, not bad and not condemned. The Gospel is Good news. God bless you all. God loves you all very much with no conditions. This is my last reply on this thread. Peace

Clearly you do not understand the gospel. If you did some real reading and study, you would realize that the LDS teachings are perfectly in line with Christ's ancient teachings. I personally do not like to see people like you thread-jacking to push an agenda. You have judged us without really knowing what we believe.

Clearly you do not understand the gospel. If you did some real reading and study, you would realize that the LDS teachings are perfectly in line with Christ's ancient teachings. I personally do not like to see people like you thread-jacking to push an agenda. You have judged us without really knowing what we believe.

I am not allowed to defend myself. If your moderator would allowed me to respond I wii. I can however point you to God's word. Please read Galatians. Your answer is in God's word. By the way, I noticed in your previous posts that you often defend yourself by a derogatory comment about whom you disagree with. Sir, you do not know me and you do not know how much I have studied or read the bible. That is a logic error on your part designed to throw off the other readers of this post and it's merit. The only word that matters is God's. Read Galatians. It is full of the true Gospel.