Anyone planning to see the "October Baby" movie?

Still_Small_Voice

• 3 years later...

I regret having waited to see the October Baby movie.  It was a beautiful movie.  I would give it an 8 on a rating scale of 1 to 10.  I think most fourteen year olds could take the movie.

Edit: The movie made me cry and when you find out what one of the actors went through in her real life it makes the movie even more interesting.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

WOW!  Old thread.  Never heard of it.

Well, I'm grateful for the pro-life message.  But I'm yet again disappointed that people have to make a big deal about adoption.  "I've GOT to find my birth parents."  

I've come across a lot of adoptees in my life.  And the great majority didn't care one way or another.  The most common exceptions were when there was a medical need.  I don't think any of them ever told me that they felt their "entire life was a lie."  That's just more Hollywood tripe.

I, of course, had a different circumstance.  The fact I'm Korean made it kinda hard to hide the fact.  On the other hand I really wonder why parents hide the fact anyway.  Just tell them.  But tell them like it's just another thing.  Some kids are adopted, some have black hair, some are short, some are smart, some are strong...

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

"I've GOT to find my birth parents."  

My wife and I have been looking into adoption as of late. This was a concern of mine. I don't know anyone who is adopted intimately enough to know if they "GOT to find their birth parents", so my unwarranted concern could have only come from TV/Hollywood. I sat next to a young woman (sports therapist) on a plane a couple of months ago. Turns out she is adopted, from Texas and Korean too (no lie). So I explained my concern and she instantly said, "I never have felt that way. My adoptive parents are "my parents" and that is all I need". It was great to have that talk with her. She says that her and her brother go back to Korea occasionally to help others adopt from Korea to the US. 

I'm glad you had that experience.  It wouldn't surprise me if she was about 40 to 55 years old.  A LOT of kids were adopted out of Korea to the US during those years.  And a good percentage of them went to LDS homes.

If I can offer some advice on adoption:

1. If you do adopt, do it because the Lord tells you it's the right thing to do.  Not because it is merciful to the kids.  Not because you REALLY want a child.
  2. If you do, I'd advise telling them as they grow up and they get used to it.  Don't over do it and don't keep it secret.  "Yeah, you're adopted.  So what?  You're sealed to us, aren't you?  Then there you go.  As far as the Lord is concerned, you're ours, regardless what some government paper says."