How do I truly know Jesus?

Tyler90AZ

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 7:22-23

I read the talk Teachings of Jesus and it has me really thinking about that Bible verse. How do I truly know Jesus? What signs will I have that I truly know Jesus?

A few things:

-- Prayer. If you want to know someone, talk with them. Of course, prayer often feels like you're talking to the ceiling, and that doesn't help you to know God or Jesus. But it does indicate a willingness on your part to talk, and sometime God may decide to respond, which leads to the next point.

-- Personal revelation. God may choose to reveal himself to you, which is really a great way to get to know him. Pay attention to what he says or does, and write it down for pondering later.

-- Listen to other peoples' testimonies. Other people get communications from God, too, and share them in fast and testimony meetings.

-- Follow Jesus' example. By imitating him and doing what he did, that can help you know him better in a big way.

-- Read Moroni chapter 7. Whatever persuades you to do good is from God, and that is a clue as to how you can follow Jesus and get to know him better.

Peace, and good luck with your quest to know Jesus better! :)

HEP

Edited by HEthePrimate

There is an old saying that you do not know anyone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. It is my belief that you come to know Jesus the same way you would anyone else - including your self.

Often people would come to my father for investment advice. - He would always tell them to save money and make investments. It was his theory that you will learn all you need to know by doing it yourself.

The Traveler

I really like your question. I think as we come to understand his character we can begin to strive to have those same characteristics in our lives. As we get to know him I think it becomes possible to measure how close to the savior we are getting. If we look at ourselves honestly we can measure our humility, compassion, patience, love, etc. I also think it's possible to recognize when we grow and change.

In my life it's also been the challenges and adversity I've faced that have helped me understand him better. Because of the pain I've had in my life I have much more compassion with those who suffer.I think when we encounter hardships if we keep his example in mind we will not only grow closer to him but become more like him. The choice when faced with our trials is to become bitter, resentful and cold or to forgive, grow and become like the Savior.

For me, no book has illustrated this greater than Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Just reading about the Bishop of D's life and the changes made by Jean Valjean shows me that Victor Hugo must know the savior and the savior knows him. In his book when the abused Cosette goes out in the cold and darkness of night to fetch water she encounters the visually frightening former convict that is Jean Valjean and Victor Hugo tells us "The child knew no fear". I think children can sense Christ-like goodness, even those that have never experienced kindness. That's how I imagine the Savior to be. That's a characteristic I've seen in many who serve missions. That's one characteristic among many that I'm striving for.

Only thru becoming like the Savior do we have any hope of truly understanding his Will, the "will of the Father" and doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Some scrips come to mind as I contemplate your question, Tyler....

Jacob 4:8 and Moroni 7:48.....

These two verses in the Book of Mormon tell me that the only way I will truly know Christ is when that knowledge is given to me by the Holy Ghost...That the knowledge is given of God and "revealed" and/or "bestowed" upon us.

Striving to love God with all our "might, mind and strength" by keeping His commandments and serving Him is the way, I would guess, to become worthy of having this knowledge given us.....

I wonder a lot to what extent I would be willing to suffer, in righteousness, in order to better understand the Saviour in His sufferings. This brings up a sleuth of questions about exaltation that I won't bring up here. I believe I can say that I wonder how any of us can expect exaltation without being willing to sacrifice for it and suffer to at least some degree.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Dove

Do you REALLY want to know Christ on a personal level? Read King Benjamin's sermon in Mosiah.

Mosiah 5:13 For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?

Also--Shut off the TV. Better yet, cancel cable. Sell all your toys and take that money and help the poor. In the Book of Mormon, the converted Lamanites and Nephites who truly came to know their Savior never suffered that there be any poor among them. Do not be the rich man who left Christ sorrowing because he didn't want to give up his material wealth.

Fast and pray often, and give generously fast offerings. Do all your hometeaching. Seek for opportunities to help and serve others. And never pass anyone by who needs help. Do they have a sign asking for food or a job? Take the time to buy them a meal and brighten their day. Don't judge them in your heart because they might take your money and buy beer. Serve them.

Matthew 25 is a very good chapter to take to heart. How do I truly know Christ? By always helping the least of his children. This is one way to know how we as individuals, as a church and as a nation are judged.

Hi Skalenfehl,

Great post. I totally agree with you that we should serve God with all our "might, mind, and strength" a great deal by serving/loving His children.

I appreciate what you said about cutting out cable and selling our toys in order to free up time to help others....I think it's about getting out of my comfort zone in order to reach out to those around me, whoever they are. From the homeless person to the ward family, etc. I believe also it's going by the Spirit and reaching out to those we are prompted to do so. When we are open to this, it's surprising how many will cross our path that we can assist, even in small ways.

The bottom line is that people are worth loving. We're all in this boat of "earth life" together. All of us need to be reached out to and loved often. I believe part of Heaven is the society of love and unity. The two greatest commandments, to love God and our neighbor as ourself, are spot on as to what's most important to do here. Home teaching and visiting teaching are just a formal buddy, buddy system. What I'm trying to say is that yes, it is very important to love those around us, especially in our ward family. As much as I've needed the love of ward members around me, so much the more I want to be one to give that love to others on their journey through life. Visiting teaching is one calling I especially want to be true to, when I have it. To me, it is one of the most important callings we can have in the church.

Dove

Edited by Dove

In my opinion, the best way to know Jesus is to give up our pride and sins, and choose to let Him change us through repentance. The more I give up my will for God's will, the more I know Christ. The more I desire to follow His example, I make steps closer to knowing a bit of what He went through for all of us and the power of His marvelous real love for each one of us. I feel like I'm so precious to Him. What draws me ,closer to Him than anything else is when I expericence deep feelings of gratitude for His infinite sacrifice.

Edited by shine7

1 John

1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

We know Christ by becoming sons of God, and we literally become like Jesus Christ. So, as we become more Christlike, we know him. It's more than knowing about him, or knowing he is the savior, but it's about knowing what he felt and how he reacted to his fellow men. How he always loved everyone. How he suffered when he knew we were doing the wrong things, but how he loved us anyway. We need to learn perfect love.

Dove, it is a lesson that I'm glad I didn't learn too late in life, but I did have to go through a kind of cleansing. I worked too hard and spent too much. Today, I keep my life as simple as possible. My paychecks are sufficient and I give as much as I can, of my time and of my substance. For me it's not enough any more to go to church and meet my basic obligations and tend to my callings. There is a great and marvelous work being done, which has not stopped since the foundation of the world and the laborers are few in the Lord's vineyard. I just want to do whatever I can now to be a part of that. Thank you for reaching out.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 7:22-23

I read the talk Teachings of Jesus and it has me really thinking about that Bible verse. How do I truly know Jesus? What signs will I have that I truly know Jesus?

To know someone is to love them. We can show our love for God by obeying Him.

Too many of the faithful profess a love of Christ but fail to demonstrate it through obedience to His gospel. Faith must lead us to repentance. Repentance to the waters of baptism. Baptism to a conversion to righteousness.

I believe the passage you quote is a warning to many ministries who think they are doing His work but only enrich themselves either financially or egotistically. In other words, they are using His name to benefit themselves.