I don't like wearing garments

pianist87

Hello all!

What a lovely forum I've stumbled upon :)

My issue lies with garments and the fact that I strongly dislike wearing them. This isn't because of my choices in clothing or anything, they are just ridiculously uncomfortable. I've tried different sizes, fabrics, cuts but I can't find anything that feels good. I also live in Phoenix where the summers here last for about 6 months and the temperature is frequently in the 110 range. What makes it worse is that I spend the majority of time at ASU and walking around that enormous campus during the summer while wearing garments is just torture.

Any thoughts or advice?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The light cotton blends work better and yes it is miserable down there. You might ask others who live there. I never did find any relief but then its hot no matter what you wear.

if you are out in the sun you wear a head covering and you always carry water with you? You might try a small mister spray bottle to help cool you.

Other than personally recommending nylon mesh not really.

So, I am new at the garment thing. Right now I wear the cotton poly, being a cotton undies gal previously. I don't know what I'm going to do in the summer regarding the top - is it that much hotter with the top? What I'm wondering is if the nylon mesh is soft against the skin like the cotton? One is already going to be warm, one doesn't want to be warm and itchy. :)

Same question for the fabric that feels like nylon (I don't know if it's the Carinessa or the DriSilque). It seems that nylon would be hot as, well, Hades, in the summer. Also, I heard that the younger women like the form fitting Carinessa, but wouldn't that just be terribly hot?

You know, I was just hoping to join a church, meet some people, so some service...

A Filipino friend of mine (only 2 seasons in the Philippines - rainy and dry - hot all the time) says he loves the Dri-Lux fabric for Philippine climate.

But, garments, in general, requires some form of acclimitation. It's basically the same thing as people who grew up in Cleveland Ohio who find themselves all of a sudden transplanted to Miami Florida. It takes a lot of getting used to.

Hello all!

This isn't because of my choices in clothing or anything, they are just ridiculously uncomfortable. I've tried different sizes, fabrics, cuts but I can't find anything that feels good. I also live in Phoenix where the summers here last for about 6 months and the temperature is frequently in the 110 range. What makes it worse is that I spend the majority of time at ASU and walking around that enormous campus during the summer while wearing garments is just torture.

Any thoughts or advice?

True!

Mesh has worked best for me in hot weather. However once we are over 100 I just don't use tops. It's just simply too hot to wear them plus under a typical shirt or t-shirt everyone around me would see that I'm wearing garments when they are supposed to be kept from public view. I really dislike people knowing that I'm wearing religious clothing when those people aren't a part of my religion.

In the end it's between the individual and the Lord.

Same happens when one has to decide where to change when heading to the beach for the day, ie at the beach or leave home without them (my choice)

Hello all!

What a lovely forum I've stumbled upon :)

My issue lies with garments and the fact that I strongly dislike wearing them. This isn't because of my choices in clothing or anything, they are just ridiculously uncomfortable. I've tried different sizes, fabrics, cuts but I can't find anything that feels good. I also live in Phoenix where the summers here last for about 6 months and the temperature is frequently in the 110 range. What makes it worse is that I spend the majority of time at ASU and walking around that enormous campus during the summer while wearing garments is just torture.

Any thoughts or advice?

I guess my advice is to make up your mind to get used to it. Most things that we perceive as "uncomfortable" are simply things we are not used to; even a massage is perceived as painful if you have never had a massage before.

If you think of wearing the garment as an optional thing that you're trying out, you always have it in the back of your mind that you can stop wearing them -- in which case, your mind might simply keep telling you that they "aren't comfortable". Once you decide that this is your underwear for the next eighty years, no matter what, you will likely find that some fabrics become tolerable after all, and shortly after that, you forget about them entirely. They just feel right.

True!

Mesh has worked best for me in hot weather. However once we are over 100 I just don't use tops. It's just simply too hot to wear them plus under a typical shirt or t-shirt everyone around me would see that I'm wearing garments when they are supposed to be kept from public view. I really dislike people knowing that I'm wearing religious clothing when those people aren't a part of my religion.

In the end it's between the individual and the Lord.

Same happens when one has to decide where to change when heading to the beach for the day, ie at the beach or leave home without them (my choice)

If you wear your garments correctly, ie covered with clothing, nobody will be able to see what you are wearing underneath.

Once we have the permission through the Temple to wear the garments we are required to wear them - it isn't a choice of whether we should or should not. We must wear clothing to cover the garment - so no-sleeve tank tops are not an option, they must have short sleeves, or cap sleeves. Choosing not to wear them is breaking the commandment that we made to wear them. It is not your choice to make.

You do realise that come your next Temple Recommend Interview you will not be able to answer the garment question honestly and will therefore not be granted the Recommend? The question asks if you are wearing your garments as required, night and day without any alteration. If you are not wearing your garment top so that you can wear what you want to wear then you are not compliant with the requirement.

So, I am new at the garment thing. Right now I wear the cotton poly, being a cotton undies gal previously. I don't know what I'm going to do in the summer regarding the top - is it that much hotter with the top?

I haven't noticed but some people are more sensitive to the extra layer it appears. I never really had a "they're hot" moment with my garments (though sometimes a "they're not drying" moment depending on the fabric), what took getting used to for me was sleeping at night as I wasn't used to wearing what amounted to a light t-shirt to bed (I started out wearing Drilux and cotton poly) and they'd end up all twisted as I tossed and turned during the night.

What I'm wondering is if the nylon mesh is soft against the skin like the cotton? One is already going to be warm, one doesn't want to be warm and itchy. :)

I don't find them itchy. If they're itchy or not is going to be a personal thing. I'm a guy though and I have body hair which probably allows me to get away with coarser fabrics than I might otherwise feel comfortable in.

It seems that nylon would be hot as, well, Hades, in the summer.

I find them cooler than a solid cotton poly. If they were solid it probably wouldn't be the case but they are holey enough that you can see through them so you end up wearing less fabric even if the fabric you are wearing isn't traditionally known for breathing.

Also, I heard that the younger women like the form fitting Carinessa, but wouldn't that just be terribly hot?

A tight fabric can aid wicking and evaporation. Think about some of Under Armor's line of hot weather gear, it's tight fitting stuff. That said I have no clue how good at wicking the Church's tight garment fabrics are.

Edited by Dravin

If you wear your garments correctly, ie covered with clothing, nobody will be able to see what you are wearing underneath.

That isn't quite true because if I wear a white shirt or lite colored t-shirt people can see the outlines of the garment around the neck and both arms. Look at men in church in a hot day wearing only a white shirt and you can tell if they have garments on or not.

Once we have the permission through the Temple to wear the garments we are required to wear them - it isn't a choice of whether we should or should not. We must wear clothing to cover the garment - so no-sleeve tank tops are not an option, they must have short sleeves, or cap sleeves. Choosing not to wear them is breaking the commandment that we made to wear them. It is not your choice to make.

I strongly disagree with this statement. A few years ago we had to read a statement from the first presidency in every temple interview specifically saying the the use of the garments should be determined, with guidance from the Spirit, by the member and not anyone else. Choosing not to wear them in overwhelmingly hot weather isn't breaking a commandment but deciding what can and can't be done. We don't wear garments to shower or at a beach or during sex (although some fanaticals argue that you should during sex), or everyday if you only have one set or if they are torn and broken. No- sleeve tank tops I can agree with but it is always my choice to make when I do or don't wear them.

You do realise that come your next Temple Recommend Interview you will not be able to answer the garment question honestly and will therefore not be granted the Recommend?

No, not true; had it last October and stake president also leaves them at home when going to the beach. His words were "The Lord understands". I don't think there will be a problem in two years time either since I've been doing this -not using tops in extreme weather- since the early nineties.

The question asks if you are wearing your garments as required, night and day without any alteration. If you are not wearing your garment top so that you can wear what you want to wear then you are not compliant with the requirement.

Not true. I do wear them without alteration most of the year. I don't use them when it becomes torture to do so. I end up having trouble breathing properly when we get up in the 100's (most of my work is outdoors) plus I get skin rashes and small red dotes all over my shoulders from the garments and the heat and not using them stops the rashes and I can breath better. And I don't think the Lord minds since I can't point to any punishment or problem for not using them those days, apart from your criticism here. Plus we are talking about some days, 3 maybe 4 months in summer and usually only after midday and before dinner so it isn't that much, which is why I don't think the Lord minds. I do sleep with them on always since even if it passes 100 at night I can have a fan going or the AC.

Dealing with Utah heat... I have found the jersey and the drisilque are best for me heat wise.

A few years ago we had to read a statement from the first presidency in every temple interview specifically saying the the use of the garments should be determined, with guidance from the Spirit, by the member and not anyone else.

Really?

That isn't quite true because if I wear a white shirt or lite colored t-shirt people can see the outlines of the garment around the neck and both arms. Look at men in church in a hot day wearing only a white shirt and you can tell if they have garments on or not.

I strongly disagree with this statement. A few years ago we had to read a statement from the first presidency in every temple interview specifically saying the the use of the garments should be determined, with guidance from the Spirit, by the member and not anyone else. Choosing not to wear them in overwhelmingly hot weather isn't breaking a commandment but deciding what can and can't be done. We don't wear garments to shower or at a beach or during sex (although some fanaticals argue that you should during sex), or everyday if you only have one set or if they are torn and broken. No- sleeve tank tops I can agree with but it is always my choice to make when I do or don't wear them.

No, not true; had it last October and stake president also leaves them at home when going to the beach. His words were "The Lord understands". I don't think there will be a problem in two years time either since I've been doing this -not using tops in extreme weather- since the early nineties.

Not true. I do wear them without alteration most of the year. I don't use them when it becomes torture to do so. I end up having trouble breathing properly when we get up in the 100's (most of my work is outdoors) plus I get skin rashes and small red dotes all over my shoulders from the garments and the heat and not using them stops the rashes and I can breath better. And I don't think the Lord minds since I can't point to any punishment or problem for not using them those days, apart from your criticism here. Plus we are talking about some days, 3 maybe 4 months in summer and usually only after midday and before dinner so it isn't that much, which is why I don't think the Lord minds. I do sleep with them on always since even if it passes 100 at night I can have a fan going or the AC.

A few questions for you

When wearing light-coloured clothing why are you ashamed of showing to the World that you are a Latter-Day Saint? That is what the previous poster basically said. Whether the garment shows through clothing or not is immaterial.

When at the beach if you want to strip off then wear a full swimsuit (for a woman) or shorts and a tee for a man, replacing the upper garment when dressing. Why do you feel the need to take the garment off just because you are "at the beach"?

If you want to shoulder the responsibility for not wearing your garments then that is entirely up to you and your conscience.

Juan_P - I agree with you regarding choices. I will only point out that I wouldn't wear an incomplete set of garments. If I'm not wearing 1 part, I'm not wearing the other part either.

By the way, for anyone else reading this - they have t-shirt undershirts now. I don't wear the "scoop neck" versions - particularly because of thinner materials of some dress shirts. My underwear is none of anyone else's business, so I keep it that way.

There are a lot of very pretty underthings out there that I'd probably enjoy buying and wearing more than garments (not to mention DH's opinion. . .). There are hot days that I suppose would be a bit more comfortable with less clothing. But I don't wear my garments for fashion, and we live in a world where 90% of the time we're in air-conditioned spaces. It's not going to kill me to walk from my car to the store, back to my car, into my house.

There are hot days that I suppose would be a bit more comfortable with less clothing.

I have to confess, and it could just be me, but I feel like there is an extremely narrow band where not wearing garments would be the line between being comfortable and being miserably hot. We get examples like 100+ F weather pointed to and I've experienced that, not having garments on was not going to be the difference between comfort and misery, I'd be miserable either way. I suspect there is a large psychological element to it, particularly with people new to garments. They know they are wearing more clothing than they did before and so it wears on their mind.

This is talking about temperature. I can see how garments can be the difference between chafing and not, particularly if you don't have the relatively new compression fit styles.

I've never found them to make a whole lot of difference, but then I'm in high desert heat which is, as I hear it, more dry and forgiving than the kind of heat in the south and southwest.

See, I thought that Garments were only worn in the Temple, is that wrong? As a new member, it is something that I just do not get, so I have just put it on the shelf, knowing that when the time is right I will know and understand.

I don't get the Temple thing either, and frankly it makes me sort of grumpy that we spend that kind of money on something like a Temple. So, again that one is sitting on the shelf too.

It's amazing to me that so many things that I did not understand, or believe in a year ago, I now feel totally different on. Wow.

Hala

For me the mesh seemed to be like a thermal blanket in the heat. If you could wear it without something over it then it would let out the heat but with something over then it holds the heat in.

The OP is talking about wearing them outside in 110 plus weather. Believe me that is nothing like 100 degrees. When the temp gets up to 125 degrees then you are going to be sick with the heat outside.

Some people recommend wearing clothes that completely cover you to protect from the sun but very loose to allow your skin to evaporate sweat to cool.

I know that some days, ok a lot of days in 112 and above temps, I did not wear my garments because of the heat in the summer. The only garments that came close to helping were the very light cotton blends. Not the 100% cotton although those did seem to help more than nylon. My memory stinks so I cant say what the material was. lol I have to feel the material samples each time.

See, I thought that Garments were only worn in the Temple, is that wrong? As a new member, it is something that I just do not get, so I have just put it on the shelf, knowing that when the time is right I will know and understand.

It is not something you need to worry about. The garment becomes your underwear for the rest of your life. (Hopefully, you will have more than one pair. :)) It's not just in the temple, it's always worn. But it's quite unobtrusive and, after a short adjustment period of a few days or perhaps weeks, perfectly comfortable.

The heat thing aside (because I consider that a reasonable discussion) I don't get the big deal about wearing/not wearing garments. If you want to receive your endowment, agree to wear the garment correctly and don't stress so much about it. Do people go on and on about the underwear they wear? Maybe I've just never made the details of my undies high priority.

Coming from the Philippines (we do get 100+F there too with humidity), it is amazing how people wear suit and tie and even boots to "westernize". And, it's completely not like the US where everything is air conditioned. In the Philippines, if you have one room with a window air conditioner you are very well off. Nope, they don't complain about how uncomfortable they are in the heat with it... they love to wear it for fashion.

So, my conclusion is - if you really want to wear it, it's not going to kill you since you acclimitize. But, if you don't want to wear it, then even 80 degrees in zero humidity weather with a mountain breeze will be too hot.

But then, I'm only responsible for my own underpants. I don't presume to tell you how to wear yours.

Quote:

A few years ago we had to read a statement from the first presidency in every temple interview specifically saying the the use of the garments should be determined, with guidance from the Spirit, by the member and not anyone else.

Really?

Yes, really. It was part of the bishop level interview for recommends back around late 90's/early 00's, and we had a page pasted in the recommend folder to not forget to read it. This lasted about 3 years if my memory serves me well. Others who served in bishoprics around those years will surely remember too.