I don't like wearing garments

pianist87

I don't know how pantyhose became a fashion statement. I'm so glad it finally went away... My mother-in-law told me she wears her pantyhose over her garments... that would be like... I don't even know what that would be like... I wore pantyhose to work in the 90's - it was "the thing to do" then. I shed the "leg condom" way before it became fashionable to do so. I can't stand that thing!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how pantyhose became a fashion statement. I'm so glad it finally went away... My mother-in-law told me she wears her pantyhose over her garments... that would be like... I don't even know what that would be like... I wore pantyhose to work in the 90's - it was "the thing to do" then. I shed the "leg condom" way before it became fashionable to do so. I can't stand that thing!

I am old enough to remember life before pantyhose, and even with all that get up, I was more comfortable than the torture tool called pantyhose. The last time I wore them, I had an actual hysterical freaking out, and when I left the pantyhose remained behind in the trash. :lol:

Years ago, they were much more comfortable. Now days, I think they would make good pot scrubbers!

I can not even imagine the precursors to pantyhose being worn with garments. Especially one piece ones. With that in consideration, it is easy to see why pantyhose was regarded as a step up. I know I liked them when I was young. :) Now it is very nice to dump the whole idea and be happy with real legs. ^^

Panty hose and nylons can be used as emergency fan belts too. Then again so can plastic grocery bags. Oddly very similar arent they.....

I can not even imagine the precursors to pantyhose being worn with garments. Especially one piece ones. With that in consideration, it is easy to see why pantyhose was regarded as a step up. I know I liked them when I was young. :) Now it is very nice to dump the whole idea and be happy with real legs. ^^

Panty hose and nylons can be used as emergency fan belts too. Then again so can plastic grocery bags. Oddly very similar arent they.....

I am too knew to have experienced um "garments". As Muslim, I wore socks with all shoes, and if skirt was shorter than ankle, wore loose silken pants with, as in Salwar Kameez, or like FLDS. Still, I wore below knee skirt to church, but felt very insecure so exposed. So, I think it will be floor length skirts for me. Perhaps still not fully aclimated to Western culture yet.

Every once in a while it seems so astonishing that 6 years in another culture would make it so different to be Western again.

So, I am new at the garment thing. Right now I wear the cotton poly, being a cotton undies gal previously. I don't know what I'm going to do in the summer regarding the top - is it that much hotter with the top? What I'm wondering is if the nylon mesh is soft against the skin like the cotton? One is already going to be warm, one doesn't want to be warm and itchy. :)

Same question for the fabric that feels like nylon (I don't know if it's the Carinessa or the DriSilque). It seems that nylon would be hot as, well, Hades, in the summer. Also, I heard that the younger women like the form fitting Carinessa, but wouldn't that just be terribly hot?

You know, I was just hoping to join a church, meet some people, so some service...

I lived in Casa Grande (50 miles south of Phoenix) for 6 years. I have worn DriSilque since I have been endowed. Well, I wore the cotton jersey for the first few weeks, then went to DriSilque as soon as it came in the mail from LDS Stores. It is not hotter to wear it, but it is wetter. I ended up wearing nursing pads right next to the skin and under my breasts to absorb the wet. I changed them twice a day. I tried the 100% cotton and the cotton jersey, but for me it was worse. I had sweat running down my back, and from my arm pits! Went back to DriSilque.

The mesh ones are supposed to wick the sweat out and hold the warmth in. My friends who live in the very cold northern regions prefer them.

My husband has lived in Casa Grande most of his life and worked at ASU for 8 years at the Central Plant (AC and Heating plant- which by the way is NOT air conditioned and thus in the summer can reach 180 degrees). He wears only the cotton poly. The 100% cotton tends to get larger the warmer and damper your body gets. Cotton poly doesn't do that.

The problem with cotton poly and body sweat- body sweat yellows it. I have washed with color safe bleach, Biz and oxi-clean and there are still the sweat stains, yellowing the garment. When he would come home from work, his clothes would be rimed with body salt from sweating so much.

I found that if I wear cotton, woven not knit, that I was much more comfortable. No nylons or (gasp) pantyhose at all. Cotton only slips. Had a friend make them for me. I also had a linen blouse that I wore instead of a jacket/blazer. I tried silk, washable silk- but that was too warm even. Perhaps if there had been any breeze that even had a hint of coolness to it, I might have been able to wear the washable silk. I can wear it here on the Coast during the warm days. Because the breezes here have a hint of cool to them.

My problem is the elastic used- in all of the different fabrics. It gives me blisters. So I have to make sure my tops are long enough to tuck in securely. In the civilian world I would sew blanket binding over the elastic of my cotton knickers, and get the kind that had banded legs.

Oh, btw to me, the DriSilque is like wearing next to nothing next to my skin. Very, very comfortable. :P

Now I need the laugh button again.

I shed clothes at home. Bra comes off first..... sometimes in the car on the way home.

I know this sounds strange, but on a hot day, I want to take off my earrings as soon as I get in. You'd think little earrings wouldn't be as bad as a bra, but yeah, the earrings gotta go.

OK, stupid garment question here -

I just got a summer sweater with a small crocheted front, like up to the shoulder seam and down to the 2nd button or so. I ordered it from a catalog and fully planned on wearing a tank under it.

Now that I try it on, I'm wondering if I can wear the garment by itself? It looks like a white tank in the shoulder strap area under the crocheted part, which doesn't come down as far as the garment top. Just the straps are showing. I'd planned on keeping the sweater on, so I'm wondering if I really need a tank?

eta - I understand the pantyhose being hot. I'm from DC and I know from hot. BUT, they are so nice and controlling around the tummy and rear. When I had the hip thing (and for months after), I couldn't wear pantyhose to church because I couldn't move my legs enough to get in them. I started wearing knee-his and like them. With my church skirts so long, they are a nice touch and I think look better than bare legs. Plus, I dunno, my mother told us we'd ruin our shoes wearing them with no stockings or socks. : ) You guys don' t think that bare legs look unfinished?

Edited by dahlia

I know this sounds strange, but on a hot day, I want to take off my earrings as soon as I get in. You'd think little earrings wouldn't be as bad as a bra, but yeah, the earrings gotta go.

OK, stupid garment question here -

I just got a summer sweater with a small crocheted front, like up to the shoulder seam and down to the 2nd button or so. I ordered it from a catalog and fully planned on wearing a tank under it.

Now that I try it on, I'm wondering if I can wear the garment by itself? It looks like a white tank in the shoulder strap area under the crocheted part, which doesn't come down as far as the garment top. Just the straps are showing. I'd planned on keeping the sweater on, so I'm wondering if I really need a tank?

eta - I understand the pantyhose being hot. I'm from DC and I know from hot. BUT, they are so nice and controlling around the tummy and rear. When I had the hip thing (and for months after), I couldn't wear pantyhose to church because I couldn't move my legs enough to get in them. I started wearing knee-his and like them. With my church skirts so long, they are a nice touch and I think look better than bare legs. Plus, I dunno, my mother told us we'd ruin our shoes wearing them with no stockings or socks. : ) You guys don' t think that bare legs look unfinished?

I was wearing two sets of ear rings, but found out that we're supposed to only have one, so I took the second set out. So now everytime I get a little frisky and try to wear two sets, the second on hurts. Guess I am ruined for sinning.

I have a sweating problem here in my area during the summers.... I love the DriLux. It changed my view on garments, the silky ones are more comfy, yes, like wearing flower petals, but the sweating was really nearly risking my life (having a bad ticker and my fluids were just not staying in me was dropping my blood pressure fast as soon as I went outside and I couldn't maintain my body temp.L) so I switched to drilux. Still a challenge, so I kept at it, knowing that those garments are for my protection, why? I remember word for word what was told to me when I recieved them....and I beleive that nice lil lady, who through the priesthood gave me the garments and told me what they were for. I don't doubt it for a second. So I wear them. I have acclimated to them. They help me, they protect me, and as weird as that sounds to so many, even my brothers and sisters on this forum, I have a testimony that they do the very things that sister told me they would do. They helped Adam and Eve, they helped my husband, and they help me. Now when I have to go without them (for the dr.) my clothes feel so scratchy I can't wait to get them on again.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand how big an adjustment they are. I am a well-endowed woman, and I have a heart condition that means I have had to be defibrillated a number of times, and I sometimes go visit ER's, and have had a couple of ambulance rides. It is hard, but everything that's worth it is hard. Keep trying.

I can't wait until I get to wear garments again. I'll never complain about them, ever..., well, almost never..., well, only during the summer..., aw shucks, I'll just promise to appreciate them more.

Save the Cotton-poly blend for me.

My husband was in the bishopric then. He doesn't remember anything that gave the impression members could choose to not wear the garment day and night and still qualify for a recommend.

I agree.

My hubby is in the bishopric right now, and reads a statement during the interview that states a few things that members obviously need to remember. A statement for right now. He reads it at every single interview and has it memorized. Day and night...garments...an outward expression of an inner commitment...He works in a warehouse. He lifts very heavy boxes, some that your average everyday person cannot lift. He lifts one after another, after another, all day. When he helps people in the ward move, the brethren are shocked at the loads he can lift. Last year was the hottest on record for our state. We had 100+ degrees for over 60 days. The warehouse is not air-conditioned, nor are the trailers that sit out in the sun all day and when you open up you can see the heat rolling out of them. He wore his garments every single day, the heat was not an issue. He says, "The heat is not an issue, if it is not an issue, then it's an excuse."

We were not made in order to give garments a place to be worn. God does not stop being God if we don't wear them. The temple is still holy whether we wear our garments or not. Garments are made for us, to help us. The garments we have today are not the greatest sacrifice expected of us, they are the least. Garments, they are not for social status, they are not for anyone or anything but you, they are a sacred priveledge. If you do not want to take advantage of that privledge, don't. You will also not be able to take advantage of the blessings that come from wearing them.

Edited by jayanna

I agree.

My hubby is in the bishopric right now, and reads a statement during the interview that states a few things that members obviously need to remember. A statement for right now. He reads it at every single interview and has it memorized. Day and night...garments...an outward expression of an inner commitment...He works in a warehouse. He lifts very heavy boxes, some that your average everyday person cannot lift. He lifts one after another, after another, all day. When he helps people in the ward move, the brethren are shocked at the loads he can lift. Last year was the hottest on record for our state. We had 100+ degrees for over 60 days. The warehouse is not air-conditioned, nor are the trailers that sit out in the sun all day and when you open up you can see the heat rolling out of them. He wore his garments every single day, the heat was not an issue. He says, "The heat is not an issue, if it is not an issue, then it's an excuse."

We were not made in order to give garments a place to be worn. God does not stop being God if we don't wear them. The temple is still holy whether we wear our garments or not. Garments are made for us, to help us. The garments we have today are not the greatest sacrifice expected of us, they are the least. Garments, they are not for social status, they are not for anyone or anything but you, they are a sacred priveledge. If you do not want to take advantage of that privledge, don't. You will also not be able to take advantage of the blessings that come from wearing them.

I am too new to wear them, and from reading the comments, It seems much like the principle of Hijab. It was my modesty; my connection go God in a very personal way. I was devout before. Now I have Jesus Christ to help me.

A question for the 'born' Mormons. After reading, The Development of LDS Temple Worship, 1846-2000: A Documentary History,' Devery S. Anderson, I learned about the different types of garments over time and when changes were made.

What wasn't clear, and what I haven't been able to find via Google images, was what did people do when fashion started changing but garments hadn't? When I look for pictures of Mormon women in the 1930's & 40's, they seem to have on regular dresses with no garments showing. Even in the early 1920's, dresses were rising. Did women roll up the legs? What about long sleeves? I read that they rolled them up to work, but did they wear short or 3/4 length sleeves in their dresses and roll up the garment sleeves, or did they only roll them up to work?

Also, am I to understand that there were 1 piece garments with no crotch for men? I have seen a woman's version in person, but did guys wear them too?