I don't like wearing garments

pianist87

I don't think the temple recommend questions say anything about needing to like wearing garments. It's just important that we wear them appropriately.

I think it's ok to feel a little grumbly about the whole affair. I actually really love my G's. But sometimes....like that fun time of month...make garment wearing problematic. And that's ok to me. It's part of the sacrifice. If sacrifice didn't sting a little, where would the growth be?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the temple recommend questions say anything about needing to like wearing garments. It's just important that we wear them appropriately.

I think it's ok to feel a little grumbly about the whole affair. I actually really love my G's. But sometimes....like that fun time of month...make garment wearing problematic. And that's ok to me. It's part of the sacrifice. If sacrifice didn't sting a little, where would the growth be?

I'd be willing to bet that the reason you don't mind wearing your Garments is because you have a strong Testimony. Brother Ray

The same goes for all who don't mind wearing their Garments..

Looks like all the input has been placed. Ill just throw my two cents in

Ive lived in arizona ALL my life, probably similar to you, and I also went on a mission to Florida. Though I cant say Ive experienced the worst heat, Ive been close, and I would stick with cotton or cotton poly. HIGHLY breathable, HIGHLY absorbent of sweat. Its either that or mesh, and I refuse to wear mesh simply because my dad does, and i refuse to wear the same underwear as my dad :S

It was super awkward at first when i was new to garments, now, it feels really REALLY awkward without them

• 2 weeks later...

We finally agree! yes it is up to me and my conscience plus the Lords judgement and I really don't feel that he has a problem with me, or my stake president, that we take the garments off at home before leaving for the beach when it's a hot summers day.

I agree with Juan_P in that the individual nityy-gritty details about about garments are between 1) the individual 2) the Lord 3) the bishop and 4) the stake president. Those are the *only* individuals that determine temple worthiness. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions about specific opinions on such things (wear while working out? when do we change out of them exactly to go to the beach?), but ultimately, as I stated, anything regarding temple worthiness is between 1) the individual 2) the Lord 3) the bishop and 4) the stake president. I will be entering the temple for the first time for my endowments in 18 days, so I'm not wearing garments yet, but they are on the very near horizon for me, and are most certainly on my mind. (and reading everyone's two cents about fabrics and preferences is helpful!) I know I'm going to have questions, but I also know I'll have the temple matron to give the initial official instructions, and then after that I can always ask questions and pray about it, and if I'm really concerned about something I can ask my bishop. There are some things about wearing garments that have not been specifically stated black and white one way or the other. There are specific and crucial guidelines to wearing garments - the main one is that it must be worn day and night, but in those instructions it still leaves valid exceptions, and some of those aren't entirely spelled out to. the. tiniest. detail. That's because the Lord trusts us, and he does not wish to give us such specific counsel in all things and wants us to think for ourselves with the understanding we have and our desire to do the right thing. (Just like honoring the Sabbath - some things - like church, are obvious, other things - like the specific "dos and don'ts" are left up to the individual.) It's not our place to judge what others decide to do and do not do. The only temple recommend interview we're allowed to attend (with the exception of the bishop and stake president) is our own, and that's the only one *we* need to be concerned with.

The Temple Recommend questions and attending the Temple are quite clear about how we wear our garments. Yes they can be hot, and yes they may be visible through some material, but it's quite clear, we are not to alter them in any way, and once we go through the Temple we are to wear them, both pieces, intact, 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. There may be exceptions, of course, I'm thinking particularly when bathing, swimming, exercising, participating in sports. But just because you're hot, or don't want them to be seen through your clothes is no reason to not wear your garments. They are a testament to the covenants you make with the Lord in the Temple.

The Temple Recommend questions and attending the Temple are quite clear about how we wear our garments. Yes they can be hot, and yes they may be visible through some material, but it's quite clear, we are not to alter them in any way, and once we go through the Temple we are to wear them, both pieces, intact, 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. There may be exceptions, of course, I'm thinking particularly when bathing, swimming, exercising, participating in sports. But just because you're hot, or don't want them to be seen through your clothes is no reason to not wear your garments. They are a testament to the covenants you make with the Lord in the Temple.

You do not have to wear them in the shower or bath. I'm pretty sure you can take them off to go swimming. For everything else. You should leave them on. This includes when you go to bed at night. Brother Ray

You do not have to wear them in the shower or bath. I'm pretty sure you can take them off to go swimming. For everything else. You should leave them on. This includes when you go to bed at night. Brother Ray

Brenda did say you could take them off for bathing, swimming, exercising, sports. She said there were exceptions.

Do I vehemently dislike wearing garments? No.

If given a choice, would I rather wear something else? Yes.

Tons of traditional Filipino wear that I grew up wearing - even including the National Dress - are not garment-compatible without major alteration. I am short. Petite garment sizes are not built for me. The petite size garments go to an inch above my knee. I can only drool at garment-wearing LDS tall women that wear those nice khaki shorts.

I feel for the petite sisters, because I too, am petite and wish that even the petite ones were a little shorter. I live in hot humid weather and have a very physically demanding job, but the covenant I make to wear the garment both during the day and night brings me comfort. There are times when it is not appropriate to wear the garment (like going to the beach for instance) so during those inappropriate times, I do not wear the garment, however, it goes back on as soon as is physically feasible. I have found that without the garment, clothes seem so abrasive against my skin, also, I just do not feel right without them - they have become like a 2nd skin. They are sacred and holy to me, and I am so grateful that I am blessed to be able to wear them.

Because of my size and lifestyle, I have found the mesh 1-piece to work best for me. The petite 1-piece seems a little shorter than the petite bottoms, and the mesh is so much more cooler in the humidity. My uniform at work consists of a polo shirt and shorts and I actually do not have to worry when I wear the 1-piece of the hem of the garment being longer than my shorts - oh such joy! My 2nd choice is the drisilque (hope my spelling is right - ;)) I know that I am in the minority when it comes to the 1-piece and I don't have to deal with waistbands either.

Peace and joy to you.

Here is what it saids about wearing temple garments in Handbook 1 Stake Presidents and Bishops since their seems to be some confusion over this.

Wearing and Caring for the Garment

Church members who have been clothed with the garment in a temple have taken upon themselves a covenant obligation to wear it according to the instructions given in the endowment. When issuing temple recommends, priesthood leaders should teach the importance of wearing the garment properly. Leaders also emphasize the blessings that are related to this sacred privilege. These blessings are conditioned on worthiness and faithfulness in keeping temple covenants.

The garment provides a constant reminder of the covenants made in a temple. When properly worn, it provides protection against temptation and evil. Wearing the garment is also an outward expression of an inward commitment to follow the Savior.

Endowed members should wear the temple garment both day and night. They should not remove it, either entirely or partially, to work in the yard or for other activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath the clothing. Nor should they remove it to lounge around the home in swimwear or immodest clothing. When they must remove the garment, such as for swimming, they should put it back on as soon as possible.

Members should not adjust the garment or wear it contrary to instructions in order to accommodate different styles of clothing. Nor should they alter the garment from its authorized design. When two-piece garments are used, both pieces should always be worn.

The garment is sacred and should be treated with respect at all times. Garments should be kept off the floor. They should also be kept clean and mended. After garments are washed, they should not be hung in public areas to dry. Nor should they be displayed or exposed to the view of people who do not understand their significance.

Members who have made covenants in the temple should be guided by the Holy Spirit to answer for themselves personal questions about wearing the garment.

Do I vehemently dislike wearing garments? No.

If given a choice, would I rather wear something else? Yes.

Tons of traditional Filipino wear that I grew up wearing - even including the National Dress - are not garment-compatible without major alteration. I am short. Petite garment sizes are not built for me. The petite size garments go to an inch above my knee. I can only drool at garment-wearing LDS tall women that wear those nice khaki shorts.

I am 5'4", my bottoms are just above the knee also.

For those members who are exceptionally small and short OR exceptionally large & tall, you can have your garments custom made by the church. It is all online, the number to call and they will ask you for your measurements.

Three sisters in our Branch are too small to wear size minus 0 ~ their garments are custom made. Be prepared to make two calls. One to get the instructions on what to measure and the second to give them the measurements.

If my husband doesn't lose weight in the next year, we will have to have his custom made too- he is now wearing the largest size in the fabric he can tolerate.

I don't have any problems wearing the garment.

However I use to wear the tshirt style type and one day i went

down to the local shopping mall thinking I had a tshirt on but it was just the garment.

I didn't realise until after about an hour of shopping.:o

I don't wear the tshirt style anymore.

I don't have any problems wearing the garment.

However I use to wear the tshirt style type and one day i went

down to the local shopping mall thinking I had a tshirt on but it was just the garment.

I didn't realise until after about an hour of shopping.:o

I don't wear the tshirt style anymore.

:roflmbo: