I don't like wearing garments

pianist87

A few questions for you

When wearing light-coloured clothing why are you ashamed of showing to the World that you are a Latter-Day Saint? That is what the previous poster basically said. Whether the garment shows through clothing or not is immaterial.

I consider my garments, as underwear, to be sacred and private so it isn't about shame but about not publishing to the world the fact that I'm wearing these covenant clothing. By the way everyone I work with knows I'm LDS but I really dislike the myths they believe in about 'mormon magical clothing' and such. Plus there are the rashes they cause me during high temperature days, rashes I'd rather avoid.

When at the beach if you want to strip off then wear a full swimsuit (for a woman) or shorts and a tee for a man, replacing the upper garment when dressing. Why do you feel the need to take the garment off just because you are "at the beach"?

I see you are British. No where else in the world would you swim with garments on. Plus there's the heat factor and the fact that change rooms are public and open so you can't put on the garments without everyone else seeing what you are wearing -it's suppose to be a private and sacred item of clothing

If you want to shoulder the responsibility for not wearing your garments then that is entirely up to you and your conscience.

We finally agree! yes it is up to me and my conscience plus the Lords judgement and I really don't feel that he has a problem with me, or my stake president, that we take the garments off at home before leaving for the beach when it's a hot summers day.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Juan_P - I agree with you regarding choices. I will only point out that I wouldn't wear an incomplete set of garments. If I'm not wearing 1 part, I'm not wearing the other part either.

Yes, that's technically correct. One should use the set or go without. Only problem for me is that I haven't bought 'wordly' undies like boxer shorts in years.

I wore garments in the jungles of Bolivia. It makes Arizona seem like Indiana weather. You just have to deal with life, sometimes. Think of it this way: early saints had garments made of wool, and they went to the wrists and ankles. Some were sent to St George, Arizona, Mexico and elsewhere to start colonies. They didn't have air conditioning. Those garments were one-piecers, and I can't imagine how they could ever be comfortable.

I think we can manage with a little discomfort.

I just don't understand why heat inspires a desire to shed clothing? As long as you are wearing light loose-fitting material, more clothing actually works to keep you cooler and it protects you from the sun too. So, hot summers should be no excuse for shedding garments or other clothing for that matter.

As far as the comfortability goes, I've always felt uncomfortable whenever I've had to adjust to any kind of change in clothing. Different material, different fit, different look, etc. But if I really like what I'm wearing, I stick it out until I get used to it- as long as it's not causing me to get a rash or something like that.

I just don't understand why heat inspires a desire to shed clothing? As long as you are wearing light loose-fitting material, more clothing actually works to keep you cooler and it protects you from the sun too. So, hot summers should be no excuse for shedding garments or other clothing for that matter.

As far as the comfortability goes, I've always felt uncomfortable whenever I've had to adjust to any kind of change in clothing. Different material, different fit, different look, etc. But if I really like what I'm wearing, I stick it out until I get used to it- as long as it's not causing me to get a rash or something like that.

I have been reading this discussion without true comprehension until it was mentioned that early saints had covering to the wrists and ankles. Having just recently come from Islam, it is now easy to understand garments. Muslim women are covered from the floor to our wrists to include the neck, and then there is the Hijab (Head covering). Some even cover the face, though I did not.

I remember being out in Abaya and Hijab in 100+ weather. It is much better to keep the hot sun off of pale skin, and the perspiration makes ones clothing damp. As it evaporates it cools the body. I was walking swamp cooler. :lol:

I still dress very Muslim, without Hijab of course. It is still easy to miss it.

So, perhaps when the day comes upon me, garments will not be such a problem?

I have been reading this discussion without true comprehension until it was mentioned that early saints had covering to the wrists and ankles. Having just recently come from Islam, it is now easy to understand garments. Muslim women are covered from the floor to our wrists to include the neck, and then there is the Hijab (Head covering). Some even cover the face, though I did not.

I remember being out in Abaya and Hijab in 100+ weather. It is much better to keep the hot sun off of pale skin, and the perspiration makes ones clothing damp. As it evaporates it cools the body. I was walking swamp cooler. :lol:

I still dress very Muslim, without Hijab of course. It is still easy to miss it.

So, perhaps when the day comes upon me, garments will not be such a problem?

Oh yeah. I'm fairly certain you won't have a problem with it at all. Just takes a little getting used to.

Yes, really. It was part of the bishop level interview for recommends back around late 90's/early 00's, and we had a page pasted in the recommend folder to not forget to read it. This lasted about 3 years if my memory serves me well. Others who served in bishoprics around those years will surely remember too.

Fascinating. Thanks.

See, I thought that Garments were only worn in the Temple, is that wrong? As a new member, it is something that I just do not get, so I have just put it on the shelf, knowing that when the time is right I will know and understand.

I don't get the Temple thing either, and frankly it makes me sort of grumpy that we spend that kind of money on something like a Temple. So, again that one is sitting on the shelf too.

It's amazing to me that so many things that I did not understand, or believe in a year ago, I now feel totally different on. Wow.

Hala

Hala, when the time comes you'll take the Temple Preparation class. If you're interested you can read the student handbook entitled "Preparing to enter The Holy Temple".

Scroll down and under the heading Dressed in White it will explain the garment.

Yes, really. It was part of the bishop level interview for recommends back around late 90's/early 00's, and we had a page pasted in the recommend folder to not forget to read it. This lasted about 3 years if my memory serves me well. Others who served in bishoprics around those years will surely remember too.

My husband was in the bishopric then. He doesn't remember anything that gave the impression members could choose to not wear the garment day and night and still qualify for a recommend.

I just don't understand why heat inspires a desire to shed clothing?...

You'll understand when you start going through menopause. When I start to get a hot flash my first instinct is to take off a piece of clothing (ie hoodie) to help relieve the discomfort. :)

M.

You'll understand when you start going through menopause. When I start to get a hot flash my first instinct is to take off a piece of clothing (ie hoodie) to help relieve the discomfort. :)

M.

I'm going through and am almost finished with menopause. It started early about age 35. Its been better at times and worse at times. I'm actually surprised that now at age 54 its a bit worse since from everything I've read over the years it should be getting easier.

I agree with JudoMinja. I don't understand the need to start shedding clothes just because of the heat. There are other ways to cool down.

Wearing the garment is just not a problem ... don't sweat the small stuff (no pun intended) save your energies for the hard stuff. For me wearing them in the heat is still so much better than being without them ... now the bra can go any time but not the garments. They are meant to a protection to us but we have to be wearing them to be protected ... and yes they can physically protect us, I have seen it happen. As for the rash ... try some Gold Bond powder ... works wonders! Actually for me being with out them is awful ... clothing is itchy!

now the bra can go any time but not the garments.

:D I didn't want to say anything, considering it maybe a little TMI, but I find that I don't need a bra with the garment. I haven't been back to class yet since Spring Break; I'll probably wear a bra to teach, but for running around town and what not, I'm testing out the braless thing and it's pretty good. :D

This is why I mentioned the itchiness of the mesh material. If I don't need to wear a bra, I don't want scratchy material on this area.

Wearing the garment is just not a problem ... don't sweat the small stuff (no pun intended) save your energies for the hard stuff. For me wearing them in the heat is still so much better than being without them ... now the bra can go any time but not the garments. They are meant to a protection to us but we have to be wearing them to be protected ... and yes they can physically protect us, I have seen it happen. As for the rash ... try some Gold Bond powder ... works wonders! Actually for me being with out them is awful ... clothing is itchy!

I never wear anything that itches. Never had garments do that though. :)

This is a good thread to have us consider. I have discarded as many clothes as possible for extreme heat but maybe it is not necessary. There are a huge number of materials and designs that might help with the heat as has been mentioned. One pieces might not be that popular but with a loose dress I bet they would be great in hot weather. Less constrictions to the waist letting air flow easier. :) Wish I had thought of that when we lived in the HOT desert. One piece with Moo Moos! Ok so not in fashion but..........^^

I'm much more uncomfortable without my garments. They definitely help relieve the itch factor of my outer clothing. And for me, the thought of wearing my bra on my bare skin, just seems untenable--especially in the heat--all that chafing. The garments relieve the chafing for me. I don't tolerate heat very well. While living in Southern Utah, I'd almost pass out just walking from the house to my car. My body has never tolerated the heat well. Also, for me, when I'm walking 2 to 4 miles a day, the garments definitely relieve the chafing on my inner thighs. My favorite fabric has changed over the years. Right now I like the carinessa.

There are a huge number of materials and designs that might help with the heat as has been mentioned. One pieces might not be that popular but with a loose dress I bet they would be great in hot weather. Less constrictions to the waist letting air flow easier. :) Wish I had thought of that when we lived in the HOT desert.

This really does work great for fighting the heat. I've done it myself. :) I actually have one of those silk, double-layer skirts that you can wear multiple ways, which I love to utilize in the summer time. The ways to wear it up top don't work well enough to cover garments, but I wear one of those tight-fitting athletic shirts underneath that absorbs the sweat and will sometimes wear a loose-fitting poncho over the top.

I understand that it can be somewhat instinctive to want to shed clothing when its hot, but I think that happens because of our culture and the kind of clothing we wear. Once I started wearing the thinner more breathable materials in the summer, like the silk skirt outfit, I haven't ever felt like shedding in the heat. Instead I want to put that on! :D And I get grumpy if it's currently in the wash ;).

And applepansy- I really wanted to laugh at that too...

Edited by JudoMinja

Thing is, I was dead serious. The Naked Mormon Moment can't start soon enough :D

Now I need the laugh button again.

I shed clothes at home. Bra comes off first..... sometimes in the car on the way home.

I understand shedding clothes. For me clothing hurts. My garments don't, just the opposite. I wear the Dri-silk (sp?). I hurt without them. So at home you will usually find me in garments and a long soft cotton knit night gown (more like a house dress) OR soft cotton knit pants and a big baggy Tshirt. In the winter I add my soft fluffy sweater.

Now I need the laugh button again.

I shed clothes at home. Bra comes off first..... sometimes in the car on the way home.

I understand shedding clothes. For me clothing hurts. My garments don't, just the opposite. I wear the Dri-silk (sp?). I hurt without them. So at home you will usually find me in garments and a long soft cotton knit night gown (more like a house dress) OR soft cotton knit pants and a big baggy Tshirt. In the winter I add my soft fluffy sweater.

I so get the shedding of clothing at home. Several years ago, I had a neurological related skin problem and used a lot of a steroid based creme to try to ease the itching and pain. When the condition finally went into remission, the Doctor said that my skin was much thinner and more easily irritated.

So, now, pantyhose, and tight clothing are out; completely unnacceptable. Anything with any latex, or component there of, in it is out! For the most part, it has to be cotton, or certain stretchy fabrics. Bras are to be tolerated only as long as I have to.

Some people just do not understand.

Hala

I cannot stand anything that constricts in any way or has a rough texture or rough seams. Recently I found out there is a condition some have that makes the body very sensitive to touch to the point of painful.

I never buy any clothing or material without touching it and checking waistbands etc.

I do have fibromyalgia and have wondered if it is related since that is, apparently, a form of hypersensitivity.

If it werent for modesty I can totally understand shedding all clothing.