Home Storage or is it "Hoarding?"

lds2

There are a lot of us here that would love to help you get started just ask! Also instructions can be found on-line in various places, here are a few...

Food Storage Calculator

Food Storage Calculator

Dry ice method how to...

http://providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/96278_PlasticBucketStorageInstructions_v4_pdf.pdf

This lady likes to be organized and has some "how to" videos/forms/books, etc.

Prepared LDS Family: How Much Food Storage Do You Want to Store?

Lot's of how to's for visual learners on youtube...most really like the mylar bag method...

various food storage How tos here

Here are some other great sites...

Prepared LDS Family: Best Sites I really like "peace of preparedness"

I posted my favorite stores and what I buy there in the preparedness forum...

Again, where do you want to start? Just ask!

Edited by lds2

I like this video:

; here is my list:

* It’s intimidating. I live in Idaho, where the local Wal-mart’s have a food storage section with huge #10 cans, 5 gallon buckets, and big boxes, of food.

* Having food that is packaged lasting 30+ years is great, but how long will it last once you open it, prepare/cook it?

This is a list of non-food items that should be included in food storage:

One or more can openers; I have heard several people in disaster areas that have all these cans of food with no way of opening them up.

Toilet paper; what goes in, must come out.

A pair of sharp scissors; to cut boxes, and hard to open packages.

Hidden

* Having food that is packaged lasting 30+ years is great, but how long will it last once you open it, prepare/cook it?

It varies from product to product. If we are living off those long term items (20-30+)because we have too, I'm confident that we will use the food up before the shelf life expires.

It varies from product to product. If we are living off those long term items (20-30+)because we have too, I'm confident that we will use the food up before the shelf life expires. Long term foods are like a savings account, you put it on your shelf and have the peace of mind that it is there. You then use your regular foods as your checking account and add in those things from long term storage you wish to use now/rotate.

My family has been hampered in rotation by the very strict diet of our youngest son. So while I have grains and other things for baking, I don't store much flour, rolled oats, corn meal or vegetable oil because they will go bad before we use them. White flour can be stored around 6 months in a cool dry place but could get buggy depending on how it is stored.

More importantly the nutritional value of flour reduces VERY quickly. When the bran of any grain is cracked the contents oxidizes and loses nutritional value...within 24 hours 40 percent of the nutrients have oxidized. At 72 hours you can expect almost 90 percent of the nutrients have oxidized. So it is important to eat grains as soon as possible after milling to get the greatest health benefits from them.

Sprouting enhances the nutritional value of grains and would be my first choice for nutritional content/benefit. Also, with my son's digestion issues they are much easier on the digestive tract for him than ground flours.

I store pure olive oil (in dark glass or in the can), and shortening and coconut oil as these last much longer in a cool, dry place than most grocery store oils.

Wheat grown a hundred years ago had twice as much nutrition in it than modern varieties/practices produce, and the same is true of many other foods. So for good health eating foods as whole and fresh as possible can be important.

The Whole Truth™ - Wheat F.A.Q.

Edited by lds2