So many religions--why is yours right?

So, if there is only one God, and He cares to relate with his creation, this God would likely make himself known throughout his world. He would not, over time, limit himself to one people or language.

Yes, and is this not exactly the task of the Church?

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..." (Mat 28:19)

The world was to know God and relate to God through his Church.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus spoke this to his followers, so I'd say his people and his churches. The churches can organize missionary efforts, establish churches, education programs, etc. However, in its initial context, Jesus was telling the people to make disciples. I believe I've read here that there was an LDS saying, "Every member a Missionary."

wq

Well, this fellow comes up to me and says, "Why does it have to be one God? Why does it have to be your God? After, Hinduism is much more ancient than Christianity or Judaism. I've been to India, and they are some of the most wonderful people."

This is an excellent question, and here are some of my thoughts:

1. Confusion verses Order. If there is more than one God, which acts according to the faith, how then would anybody discover truth? One God, through faith teaching the same principles is able to lead individuals to universal truth.

2. A logical answer, or philosophical answer, would be that the Hindu, Buddist, etc.. could be correct, since the majority of believers believe by faith. If we all believe by faith, and faith alone, then logically any religion could have the truth, and all could be correct.

3. In connection to #2, I find it interesting that the Christian God, is the only one, that I am aware of, which has servants who have actually spoken with God face to face. Adam spoke with God face to face. These are messengers who no longer speak by faith but speak with actual knowledge. Thus #2 is nullified.

Via Christian theology, the twelve apostles, not only walked with our Lord, they also were witnesses of his resurrection. When the apostles went out and taught people regarding Jesus Christ, it wasn't through faith, it was through actual knowledge.

Joseph Smith, saw our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, as have others. When they taught regarding the divine destiny of Jesus Christ, they did not teach via faith, as I do, they taught through actual knowledge.

4. For those of us who teach by faith, I believe that is why the scriptures, New Testament, tell us to be prepared to share with people our faith, and why we have hope in Jesus Christ.

As for me, I would bear more weight upon how the Christian God, beginning with Adam has actually revealed himself to his children. Adam, taught his children about a God, who he talked with face-to-face.

This God, Christian God, has revealed himself to others, and these other taught by pure knowledge that he is the one true God.

These are my thoughts PC.

Edited by Anddenex

Coming back to the scriptures "you must be born again". Every one who calls and wants to be saved,

shows repentance of heart. Agreeing for the need of a redeemer and Lord. As they must have that personal revelation of the Heavenly Father, that only Jesus provides.

Now as to religion, that is James 1;26-27 (KJV)

There has always been much division in that area.

Traveller,

I'd agree that you can hear echoes of the voice of Jesus outside of Christianity or Christians. Ghandhi is a classic example of a man, who although not within the visible church on earth yet often spoke truth and at times clearly spoke words that reflected Jesus better then many Christians. I simultaneously hope the grace of God is wider then I can imagine but also maintain that we are called upon to speak the truth Jesus spoke regardless of how unpopular it may be. (eg No one can came to the Father but by me)

It may be of interest to you to note that Gandhi was converted to the teachings of Jesus while in British prison but was never converted to Christianity - instead, he said in essence that Christians were a poor or flawed example of the teachings of Jesus. Do not quote me because I do not remember exactly his words.

One time when visiting a city in India he was asked to preach a sermon which he declined. When pressed more and asked if there was not a sermon he could preach - he responded with a quote he picked up from the teachings of Jesus and said “I am my sermon.”

Gandhi intended to bring the teachings of Jesus to India - which he felt was not truthfully being done by the Christian missionaries.

For the record - I believe that everyone that stands before G-d at the final judgment regretting their sins and wanting to be with G-d - will not be denied - regardless of whatever religion they belonged to in life. This is in part why I am LDS

The Traveler

Jesus spoke this to his followers, so I'd say his people and his churches. The churches can organize missionary efforts, establish churches, education programs, etc. However, in its initial context, Jesus was telling the people to make disciples. I believe I've read here that there was an LDS saying, "Every member a Missionary."

I would say that the missionary program in the LDS church is to be highly praised. My experience has been that the young men are certainly sincere and always pleasant and as well mannered as it gets. I actually enjoy being visited by Mormon missionaries. Don't worry, I'm not too hard on them. They always remind me of my kids.

I would say that the missionary program in the LDS church is to be highly praised. My experience has been that the young men are certainly sincere and always pleasant and as well mannered as it gets. I actually enjoy being visited by Mormon missionaries. Don't worry, I'm not too hard on them. They always remind me of my kids.

I find your response here most interesting. When I served as an LDS missionary (a very long time ago) I have many pleasant and rewarding conversations with Catholic clergy (I served in the USA). I had many unpleasant and confusing conversations with Evangelical clergy. But my friends serving as LDS missionaries in Latin and South America - had very unpleasant conversations with the Catholic Clergy there and my friends serving as LDS missionaries in Asia had mostly pleasant experiences with Evangelical Clergy. I have no idea why the difference except perhaps being minorities. Also my personal experiences in traveling in Asia - the Asians just seem to be, for whatever reason the kindest and most friendly people on earth.

The Traveler

I find your response here most interesting. When I served as an LDS missionary (a very long time ago) I have many pleasant and rewarding conversations with Catholic clergy (I served in the USA). I had many unpleasant and confusing conversations with Evangelical clergy. But my friends serving as LDS missionaries in Latin and South America - had very unpleasant conversations with the Catholic Clergy there and my friends serving as LDS missionaries in Asia had mostly pleasant experiences with Evangelical Clergy. I have no idea why the difference except perhaps being minorities. Also my personal experiences in traveling in Asia - the Asians just seem to be, for whatever reason the kindest and most friendly people on earth.

The Traveler

Christianity in Latin and South America has been through a lot of upheaval. Many Catholic Priests and nuns have been killed or imprisoned. In short, they are probaly not too happy to have anyone try to undo what they have done. That's my only guess on why your friends would not have received a warmer welcome.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I enjoy conversations PrisonChaplain brings out. The LDS inside me wants to just point to this church to center my discussion on but my experiences tell me that God loves all mankind and works within our barriers to draw us closer to Him and that can take many forms. We LDS often describe the truth in churches as a musical keyboard, believing that we have more keys of the gospel of Christ (for better or worse). It seems easy to attribute this even among other faiths mentioned.

To be more specific to the op, I think a good answer (IMO) would be... because we are commanded to share His Gospel (the Good News) through all the world. To teach Christ "to every nation, kindred, tongue and people." The purpose is not to disparage what they have, but to deliver the 'full' blessings God has for them (hec,... and for us). I realize this may not be well received nor desired by some,... or many, but again, I think God works with what we are willing to accept in this mortal life (Myself included), He is patient, and loving after all. Until we give Him no other choice, but to chastise.

Edited by Magen_Avot

Guest DeborahC

Rumi said, "The truth was a mirror in the hands of God. It fell, and broke into pieces. Everybody took a piece of it, and they looked at it and thought they had the truth."

I believe we have the truth.

But I believe there is truth in the other religions as well.

I try really hard not to tear down other religions, but instead to lift up Jesus. Sometimes comparison is unavoidable, and sometimes I must beg to differ. However, I much prefer to explain what I believe than to point out the deficiencies I might see in what others believe. And, as some have suggested...my talking is much more effective if my walking is in alignment with it.

• 1 month later...

I agree that emphasizing what we believe is important but I also believe we can be justified in speaking directly to things to which we do not believe. From time to time I have spoken of being a seeker of truth and that a honest seeker of truth must of necessity seek truth on a broad scale. Which means more than just selected religious truths. For example, Jesus said to seek first the kingdom of G-d and all else will be added unto it. To me this is a clear statement that a disciple of Christ is or should be an excellent source of many things that are good and beneficial for society - even those that are “strangers” within the confines of their communities.

In addition there are other individuals and religions that I believe to have left a tremendous impact on humanity. First and foremost of strangers is the Buddhist. If it were not for the LDS and the restoration I would be a Buddhist. It is the only religious ideology that has spread itself peacefully. In fact when Buddhism spread into China - China was embroiled in regional wars. Buddhism brought an era of peace and prosperity (including technological and living standards advances) unmatched in human history. There have been technological advances but in cultures seeking advances in war and oppression.

I also appreciate the contribution of Gandhi - but it appears to me that Gandhi’s contributions are an echo of the teachings of Christ specifically represented in the sermon on the Mt.

There is one criticism I will make concerning many that speak in behalf of religious ideologies. That is the propensity to speak of and teach as part of their religion - that is the belief of others. It would not be that bad except that it is almost always done with a point of view or perspective that favors their religion and degrades the one they are speaking of.

The Traveler

• 1 month later...

Respectfully, there are only two churches upon the face of the earth.

1 Nephi 14

10 And he said unto me: Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the whore of all the earth.

Here's the shocker for many LDS: Not all who are LDS (I say this because this is an LDS forum) are members of the church of the Lamb of God. Being baptized into the "true" church does not guarantee anyone entrance into the kingdom of heaven.

How would you describe the true church and the false one? By works, size, membership, money, new revelations, its leader's words compared to their actions, a changing God (his words, doctrines, etc) or by truth (evidence- such as fulfilled prophecies & revelations)?

How would you describe the true church and the false one? By works, size, membership, money, new revelations, its leader's words compared to their actions, a changing God (his words, doctrines, etc) or by truth (evidence- such as fulfilled prophecies & revelations)?

One description that appears throughout the Holy Bible and the Book of Mormon -- divine authority.

Adam received divine authority from God, as did Noah, Moses, Abraham, the original twelve apostles, etc...

One description that appears throughout the Holy Bible and the Book of Mormon -- divine authority.

Yeah, but....how does one prove someone has Divine Authority? I refuse to take someone's word for such- I'm not that stupid (haha). I've seen charlatans for over forty years and read about many others. And I know the devil can appear as an angel of light and the Bible says not to believe every prophet or spirit that says something is true. But to test them. That means there is a test that proves they are true or false. So I need proof of truth before I buy into anything.

I have mottos I live by and one of them goes like this- 'I follow the facts (based on evidence)- whatever they say and wherever they lead'. I believe God will prove Himself/His leaders by some means 'real' if they are from Him.

Yeah, but....how does one prove someone has Divine Authority? I refuse to take someone's word for such- I'm not that stupid (haha). I've seen charlatans for over forty years and read about many others. And I know the devil can appear as an angel of light and the Bible says not to believe every prophet or spirit that says something is true. But to test them. That means there is a test that proves they are true or false. So I need proof of truth before I buy into anything.

I have mottos I live by and one of them goes like this- 'I follow the facts (based on evidence)- whatever they say and wherever they lead'. I believe God will prove Himself/His leaders by some means 'real' if they are from Him.

How then do you prove, by evidence, the resurrection of Jesus Christ? I am curious how then do you believe in the resurrection of Christ without any evidence to buy into it? (more curious regarding your logic and reasoning regarding "evidence")

The Lord, as he has done since Adam, proves his servants, by the power of his Holy Spirit. (John 14: 26, Moroni 10: 3-5).

The Lord, as he has done since Adam, proves his servants, by the power of his Holy Spirit. (John 14: 26, Moroni 10: 3-5).

I actually like this answer. So, since I think I was the OP I'll answer my own question. I know my religion, my faith, my church denomination, and my local church are true because they are Spirit driven. At the end of the day we want our church to grow, we want to become more proficient at sharing our faith, we want to grow in our knowledge and application of the Bible, and we want to walk the straight and narrow path that Jesus set before us. And, when we repeatedly ask, "How do we go about this, discern that, or decide which one?" the answer is always, "We need the Holy Spirit to show us!" Indeed, it is by the power of the Holy Spirit that we know...

I actually like this answer. So, since I think I was the OP I'll answer my own question. I know my religion, my faith, my church denomination, and my local church are true because they are Spirit driven. At the end of the day we want our church to grow, we want to become more proficient at sharing our faith, we want to grow in our knowledge and application of the Bible, and we want to walk the straight and narrow path that Jesus set before us. And, when we repeatedly ask, "How do we go about this, discern that, or decide which one?" the answer is always, "We need the Holy Spirit to show us!" Indeed, it is by the power of the Holy Spirit that we know...

Good answer. But...the Bible (if we believe the Bible) tells us not to trust in spirits or prophets until we have tested (proved) them (1 Jn. 4:1). It also tells us how to know a true or false prophet (I reckon we could add spirit, vision, dream, etc) in Deut. 18:20-22. So when we search for God's truth we need to look for evidence otherwise it is simply blind faith. Faith is acting on what we believe based on the evidence that exists. For example, let's say you are going to Denver from Salt Lake City and you know (evidence) the way but you see a sign that says Denver next exit. You know you are still 100 miles from Denver. You would never take that offramp and you'd probably report it. Blind faith is either not caring about the truth or not knowing it. Thus many, too many, are led astray by such gimmicks. Faith based in God tells us to "buy the truth and do not sell it' (Proverbs) and apply it to our faith. Jesus never said to believe in Him without proving, with miracles of signs, healings, that He was who He said He was. Most today think that if it feels good or right then it must be. Not true at all.

The title of this thread is interesting (haven't read all posts yet). Here is my reasoning why mine is right (true).

My God has never been wrong or had to make changes to his word and he has never had to make excuses for why he, an all-knowing, all-wise and all-powerful God, couldn't perform his words or his works.

There are many other religions/churches that have made one change after another but still say their God is all-knowing and all-powerful. Hogwash! And some of these churches act like there is no problem with that. Some have made either excuses why they couldn't prove what they said came from God or try to hide the fact that they have changed so much of their god's doctrines and/or prophecies because they failed or disagree with the Bible or are so blasphemous and outrageous that no one today would buy into them.

The Bible's God, however, always what He says He will and fulfilled prophecies are how we prove He is the real God.

Edited by pam
We want to keep from specifically bashing another religion.

Good answer. But...the Bible (if we believe the Bible) tells us not to trust in spirits or prophets until we have tested (proved) them (1 Jn. 4:1).

I've walked with the Holy Spirit for several decades. Nevertheless, you are correct. Sometimes my own desires can stir me up, and I can commit grave sin by saying, "I felt led by the Spirit." So, we do test our spiritual promptings. Certainly by the Bible. Also by fellow believers whom we've come to see as mature. Often these are those in leadership. Sometimes we may even need to test the promptings by "laying out a fleece." Your caution is sound. We want to be Holy Spirit driven, not tossed about by every feeling or every wave of doctrine.

It also tells us how to know a true or false prophet (I reckon we could add spirit, vision, dream, etc) in Deut. 18:20-22. So when we search for God's truth we need to look for evidence otherwise it is simply blind faith.

The more serious the prophesy, vision, or dream the more we will likely test it. Indeed.

The title of this thread is interesting (haven't read all posts yet). Here is my reasoning why mine is right (true).

My God has never been wrong or had to make changes to his word and he has never had to make excuses for why he, an all-knowing, all-wise and all-powerful God, couldn't perform his words or his works.

There are many other religions/churches that have made one change after another but still say their God is all-knowing and all-powerful. Hogwash! And some of these churches act like there is no problem with that. Some have made either excuses why they couldn't prove what they said came from God or try to hide the fact that they have changed so much of their god's doctrines and/or prophecies because they failed or disagree with the Bible or are so blasphemous and outrageous that no one today would buy into them.

The Bible's God, however, always what He says He will and fulfilled prophecies are how we prove He is the real God.

I'm not sure how to interpret these words. My guess is that your fellowship is different than mine. However, if it is a "mainstream Christian group" then we'd probably be able to worship in each others churches. Yet you say "many other churches make changes." That leads me to wonder if you would avoid fellowship with most Christians in other churches. Does your church consider itself the "one true church?"

By way of disclosure (and most long-time members here know this), I am an Assemblies of God chaplain. I consider my church true, but we are part of the National Association of Evangelicals, and we would claim equal fellowship with most other Christians quite easily. Baptist leaders have spoken at our conventions, and my leaders have spoken at theirs, for example.

The host church of this site does see itself as unique in its divine appointment as the authorized Church of Christ in these latter days. Nevertheless, I am repeatedly told that most members (and certainly church leaders) recognize that there is great godly truth in other churches. No one here would suggest that my eternal destiny is in the outer darkness or hellfire.

So, while being mindful of the site rules, and careful not to disparage other religions, perhaps you could tell us more concretely what prophesies your church has made that have indeed come to pass? Why do you see your church as being especially true?

I'm not sure how to interpret these words. My guess is that your fellowship is different than mine. However, if it is a "mainstream Christian group" then we'd probably be able to worship in each others churches. Yet you say "many other churches make changes." That leads me to wonder if you would avoid fellowship with most Christians in other churches. Does your church consider itself the "one true church?"

By way of disclosure (and most long-time members here know this), I am an Assemblies of God chaplain. I consider my church true, but we are part of the National Association of Evangelicals, and we would claim equal fellowship with most other Christians quite easily. Baptist leaders have spoken at our conventions, and my leaders have spoken at theirs, for example.

The host church of this site does see itself as unique in its divine appointment as the authorized Church of Christ in these latter days. Nevertheless, I am repeatedly told that most members (and certainly church leaders) recognize that there is great godly truth in other churches. No one here would suggest that my eternal destiny is in the outer darkness or hellfire.

So, while being mindful of the site rules, and careful not to disparage other religions, perhaps you could tell us more concretely what prophesies your church has made that have indeed come to pass? Why do you see your church as being especially true?

I have to be careful how I reply here- I can't say any particular church names cuz I don't want to offend any. I simply meant that there are a bunch of churches out there these days that claim to be the one, true church but teach some aberrant stuff. I believe the Bible is God's word. I have been Assembly of God, Christian, Southern Baptist and gone to non-denoms as well.

I believe that God covenants with man (both individually and collectively). I believe these covenants are required for various rewards both on Earth and in the next life. I believe man must uphold his part of that covenant through righteous living (obedience to the covenant) as well as through repentance since we are not perfect. God will perfectly uphold his end. I also believe that there is an outward ordinance that creates the covenant. Baptism is an obvious example. I believe that the ordinance must be performed and officiated by one who was given authority by God through priesthood. I believe that God chooses prophets to charge the distribution of that authority to others and must also be ordained of God. I believe that only one church holds these keys on Earth today.

The rest, the teachings, the beliefs and doctrines, the "fruits" are all side effects or rather causal effects of having that priesthood. The beliefs may not be perfect because man is not perfect, but they should have substance and truth behind them. But they do not define God's church. in other words, you cannot prove it through such means. Same for the Bible. I believe the Bible to be the fruits of God's plan for His people, but you cannot prove your own truth strictly through the Bible. One can perfectly interpret the Bible and believe everything from God absolutely correctly, but without priesthood authority and God's covenant, you are not God's people. So, the Bible and interpretation of it end up secondary to finding the church which truly covenants with God (although the understanding of the Bible will be more complete and correct given the direct connection through prophets than historical interpretations - or simply put prophets trump tradition).

Edited by bytebear