A class survey

ruthiechan

So, for class, I have to conduct a very short survey. If anyone would like to participate that would be great. You can email me your answers (ruthiechan AT ruthiechan DOT net) or PM me (and as you can guess school and family is where I've been spending most of my time instead of here).

Please check mark which response closest resembles your opinion.

Overall, do you believe that businesses are fair in their treatment of the family needs of their employees?

__Totally fair, __Fair, __Somewhat fair, __Somewhat unfair, __Unfair, __Totally unfair

Science tells us that the first three years of life are critical for a child's development. Would you approve of businesses being mandated to offer maternity leave of up to three (3) years?

__Totally approve, __Approve, __Somewhat approve, __Somewhat unapprove, __Unapprove, __Totally unapprove

Would you approve of businesses being mandated to offer maternity leave of up to two (2) years?

__Totally approve, __Approve, __Somewhat approve, __Somewhat unapprove, __Unapprove, __Totally unapprove

Would you approve of businesses being mandated to offer maternity leave of up to one (1) year?

These questions are optional:

What is your age?

What is your gender?

What is your ethnicity?

What is your marital status?

I believe we are not supposed to provide our personal emails anywhere on this site...

Here are my answers to your questions though:

1. Overall fairness of businesses- Somewhat unfair (Note- this is only because you used the word overall in your question and made the broad statement to cover all businesses. If the question were more specific my answer would be different.)

2. 3 year maternity leave- Unapprove

3. 2 year maternity leave- Unapprove

4. 1 year maternity leave- Somewhat approve

5. Age- 25

6. Gender- Female

7. Ethnicity- Caucasian

8. Marital status- Divorced/Single

Overall, do you believe that businesses are fair in their treatment of the family needs of their employees?

Somewhat fair.

Science tells us that the first three years of life are critical for a child's development. Would you approve of businesses being mandated to offer maternity leave of up to three (3) years?

Totally unapprove.

Would you approve of businesses being mandated to offer maternity leave of up to two (2) years?

Totally unapprove.

Would you approve of businesses being mandated to offer maternity leave of up to one (1) year?

Totally unapprove.

What is your age? 29

What is your gender? Male

What is your ethnicity? European

What is your marital status? Married

1. Overall, do you believe that businesses are fair in their treatment of the family needs of their employees? Somewhat fair

2. Science tells us that the first three years of life are critical for a child's development. Would you approve of businesses being mandated to offer maternity leave of up to three (3) years? Totally unapprove

3. Would you approve of businesses being mandated to offer maternity leave of up to two (2) years? Totally unapprove

4. Would you approve of businesses being mandated to offer maternity leave of up to one (1) year? Unapprove

What is your age? 27

What is your gender? Female

What is your ethnicity? Asian

I am surprised by the number of Totally unapproves for the last three questions. Being mandated to make an offer for those who would want to take it does not mean everyone would *have* to take the offer.

1. Business fairness - Unfair

2. 3 year maternity leave- Totally approve

3. 2 year maternity leave- Totally approve

4. 1 year maternity leave- Totally approve

I would also hope there would be provisions for smaller businesses so they don't go under. That way women won't be discriminated in the workplace and we don't have businesses failing.

I believe Canada has something in place for single mothers to be able to stay at home with their children for the first two or three years of life.

Somewhat fair

Totally disapprove

Totally disapprove

Somewhat disapprove

What is your age?

What is your gender?

What is your ethnicity?

What is your marital status?

1. 25

2. Male

3. Caucasian

4. Married

It might also be worth asking where people live... different people live in places which have different employment and maternity laws.

I personally think the law in the UK is reasonable. Mothers can get 6 months mandatory leave on full salary, and an additional 6 months leave on a limited salary if they choose to take it (im not sure how much it's limited by).

Both 2 and 3 years, either on full or limited pay, leave it open for massive abuse. I know a lady that had three children, taking her full years leave with each child, and getting pregnant again very quickly after returning to work. No-one in the office really knew her, despite her being employed there for four years, simply because she was absent for so many long periods at a time. And that was abusing one years leave, imagine what she would do with three?

Edited by Mahone

Please check mark which response closest resembles your opinion.

Fair

Totally unapprove

Totally unapprove

Totally unapprove

What is your age? 45

What is your gender? M

What is your ethnicity? American

, __Fair. As far as I've seen things.

Unapprove. What if a business can't afford to pay a non-working employee for that long?

Unapprove. See above.

Still unapprove. While I laud businesses who offer good maternity leave, I have trouble with the word "mandate".

What is your age? 27

What is your gender? Female

What is your ethnicity? Caucasian

What is your marital status? Married.