Road Trip Across USA? What's a must see?

lizzy16

My husband have discussed flying up to Vancouver Canada, taking the train across Canada. The joining up with a church history tour in New York and following the early saints across the states to Utah. It would take us about 2 months.

Maybe someday. :)

I haven't been east of Denver, but I've been in all the western states except New Mexico.

I haven't, but I'd sure like to. Most important to me would be church history sites, national parks, Grand Canyon (is that a nat'l park?), Disneyland (we've been to World), and New York City including at least one Broadway show.

The most amazing place I ever visited was Carthage Jail but since you arent really interested in history......

Just because I'm not interested in antique books doesn't mean I don't like history. I love history. I've been to carthage jail. Your right, its amazing.

Guest Godless

Top things I've seen:

Yosemite

Yellowstone

Grand Canyon

Petrified Forest

Statue of Liberty

DC cherry blossoms

Gettysburg

Mt. Rushmore (the rest of S Dakota SUCKS!)

Top places I want to see:

San Diego

Niagara Falls

Yakima Valley, WA

Denver during GABF

Lizzy, I don't remember whereabouts you're located but a fun venture in southern Utah is Tuacahn Amphitheatre. Check what's scheduled and see if there's something you'd be interested in seeing. The whole thing is outdoors, surrounded by beautiful red rock and vistas in general. You can do the whole package of dinner and show, or just do the show. Forewarning, this is not at the caliber of Broadway (that said, sometimes they DO have Broadway performers appear) but very enjoyable nonetheless.

San Diego

Niagara Falls

Yakima Valley, WA

Denver during GABF

As you drive into yakima from the north, you pass a sign saying, "Welcome to Yakima: The Palm Springs of Washington". I've always thought there should be a sign as you drive into Palm Springs that reads, "Welcome to Palm Springs: The Yakima of California".

Top things I've seen:

Yosemite

Yellowstone

Grand Canyon

Petrified Forest

Statue of Liberty

DC cherry blossoms

Gettysburg

Mt. Rushmore (the rest of S Dakota SUCKS!)

San Diego

Niagara Falls

Yakima Valley, WA

Denver during GABF

Niagara Falls. The single most amazing natural wonder I have ever witnessed. Words fail.

Okay. I've beeen to the statue of liberty, gettysburg and Niagara falls. I live about 2 hours from Niagra falls.

I'm from NY and go to college in Idaho and visit my grandparents in Oregon/Utah quite often during my school semesters.

I feel like I've been to EVERYTHING on the east coast..even though thats not exactly true.

NYC, Ellis Island, State of Liberty, central park and the whole broadway show thing, Kirtland, Palmyra, Carthage, Navoo, Susquhana river,SLC stuff, Gettysburg, Boston (and all the historical stuff), Philadelphia (and all the historical stuff), DC the cherry blossoms stuff(and all the historical stuff), um. The great smokie mountins, Rhode Island, Watkins Glen, Niagara Falls, Erie Canal, Oregon Trial sites. Redwood forests. Hershey Pennsylvania. Letchwork national park, Berkshires .Hmmm. I know i'm missing some sort of historical site I've been to. And, I'm sure I've been to a lot more national parks.

Anyways, as a child my family doesn't simply 'go on vacation." We go to historical places and places of religious or historical value. And having family that lives 30 mins from DC ensures that we're there at least once sometimes more every year.

Anyways. I have this National park passport. It's my goal to go to every National Park before I die.

I also really want to go to Salem, Mass. If I was going to take a roadtrip across America. I think I'd want to see the historical things again, national parks..but also weird quirky things.

Biggest ball of yarn, smallest town, the museum of wax. Ect.

The weird things people never go to. Because as a child as much as I love and appreciate the amazing places I've been. I really really wanted to stop at the biggest ball of yarn. :rolleyes:

Drive southeast until you see roadside fruit stands with spray painted plywood signs advertising boiled peanuts. Stop and get you some. :) I like to get boiled peanuts for road trips.... though keep some wipes handy. lol

I'm kinda biased to the beaches on the gulf coast.

Drive southeast until you see roadside fruit stands with spray painted plywood signs advertising boiled peanuts. Stop and get you some. :) I like to get boiled peanuts for road trips.... though keep some wipes handy. lol

I'm kinda biased to the beaches on the gulf coast.

I've had boiled peanuts from a road stand in the carolinas :) i didn't like them much.

Depends what route I'm taking, particularly if we're talking coast to coast or Canada to Mexico. Bang for buck I suspect a north/south crossing is best, pick the east or west coast and head down. An east/west journey is going to depend on what my destination and starting positions are. If I'm driving from Philadelphia to Seattle I'm not gonna bother swinging down to hit the Grand Canyon but Yellowstone will make the list. On the other hand if I'm going Jacksonville to LA then the Grand Canyon will make the list but I'm not swinging up to hit Yellowstone.

Edited by Dravin