Right time, Right place, Right person? Or is there such a thing as soul mates?

Do you believe in Soul mates?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in Soul mates?

• Yes, and I'm a male
    • Yes, and I'm a female
    • No (it's a right time right place thing) and I'm a male.
    • No (it's a right time right place thing) and I'm a female.

My parents are amazing people. And, I've been so blessed to grow up in their home and see their relationship. I've never seen anyone who is as in love and who seem to go so well together as my parents.

My dad was 28 and my mom was 19 when they married. My mom had been proposed to multiple times by a few different people at this point, and my dad had broken off his relationship with the girl he thought he was supposed to marry. Soon after they met. And my dad on one of there early date said, "Will you go look at carpet swatches with me and help me pick carpet? I want my wife to love the house I'm building." (My dad was in the process of building a house when they started dating.). My parents love for each other amaze me. And, I couldn't ever see them married to other people.

My dad often says he'd never get remarried if my mom died and my mom would always say 'you know who would be a great mom? Sister___ from church. She's so nice. If I die, you should marry her. She'd help the kids and be so great."

As a child I always thought that was weird. But, it just really demonstrates to me how much my mom wants my dad to be happy (My dad definitively couldn't raise us alone).

Anyways.

Do you think theres one person? or do you think think its all about timing and having yourself ready for when someone comes along?

Logically, I would say no. But then I look at my wife and I realize that I couldn't ask for anything more. She is absolutely perfect in every way. We mold together in such a way that our relationship is harmonious. So, I have changed my mind and believe that at least in my situation, there is such thing as soul mates.

I do believe that, in some cases, a man and a woman are somehow meant for each other. I do not believe this is necessarily typical, perhaps not even common, but I personally believe it happens. Don't know the mechanics of why it would be so.

So, I'm sorry this is off my other topic but i couldn't figure out how to make it into a poll after I posted. So, please just click the little button. And then for comments go to the other thread?

I merged the threads for you. So now you have poll and comments in one convenient location.

I don't believe in soul-mates at all. How good of a match we will be for someone else depends on how much we work at it. It is certainly possible for there to be people out there similar and complementary enough to ourselves that the work needed for "merging" becomes minimal, but not everyone will find such a person in their life- nor does it make this person their soul-mate.

I think a lot of it has to do with time and place in which you meet, whether the two of you have matured and are ready for marriage, and any outside circumstances that may influence you to get together. Most importantly though, I think the most successful and smooth marriages are those between two people focused on drawing nearer to God and maintaining strong family values.

Well, I didn't do the poll since I couldn't quite answer yes or no, lol.

I do believe that two individuals may well have bonded and loved in pre-mortality and then find each other (or be brought together) and continue that bond of love on earth. I do believe that can and does happen, yes, though I tend to think it would be rather the exception, not the rule.

I do not, however, think everyone has a soul-mate wandering the earth somewhere that they must or can seek and find in order to have love and happiness in marriage, as in finding "the one" that one was always meant and destined to be with and that there is or could be no other. No.

:)

Soul mates are made, not born.

I think one of the best things a single person can do is pray to find a person that they'd have the best chance of happiness with, and pray that they'll recognize such a person when they come along.

I agree with JudoMinja and Eowyn. I don't believe that there is some absolutely perfect person out there who will never be happy because I married someone else.

I do think, though, that marrying my wife was the best decision I could have made. We are remarkably suited to each other--it is easy to be married to her. Combined with a decision to make our marriage the most important thing to us, it has made us very happy.

I like the idea of a soul mate, but I don't believe in them.

I love my husband and I love being with him. However, marrying him may have been mainly a matter of timing. There was definitely more to it, for the reason I came to this board was with questions on some relationship issues during our engagement and we were definitely interested in working things out rather than looking for other people. But I really do think I was finally read to get married. I've dated before, wasn't interested in getting serious... which may have been merely timing.

I think my wife and I were the right time, right place, right persons when we met. However, as our marriage has evolved I guess "soul mates" can be applied. I don't think if anything were to happen to her I would be interested in remarrying. But, that is a hypothetical situation.

In the end, when the kids talk about us after we have "moved on" I would hope they would say we were good for each other.

Nope not at all, out of the 7 billion people in the world the chance that your soulmate, the one person who you are meant to be with, happens to be at the same place at the same time as you...

Then there is the whole concept of you and your soulmate even having come to earth at the same time. Who knows maybe your soulmate has already lived there life or wont be born for another hundred years lol but now im just ovethinking it all =p.

Nope not at all, out of the 7 billion people in the world the chance that your soulmate, the one person who you are meant to be with, happens to be at the same place at the same time as you...

Then there is the whole concept of you and your soulmate even having come to earth at the same time. Who knows maybe your soulmate has already lived there life or wont be born for another hundred years lol but now im just ovethinking it all =p.

Not if you are a writer in Hollywood. Wait....I forgot. Nothing new is being written in Hollywood--they are just doing remakes (and remakes of remakes in some cases).

I'm pretty sure that the concept is there is some divine intervention in the matter. Considering all the miracle stories we accept, I'm surprised some would balk at this idea.

My husband and I are soul mates. I understand the people saying there is no such thing but I know there is. There are certain things in our lives that would not be handled well by most people. Take me for instance. As I grew up there were some things I learned that are not regular things that are things my husband NEEDED to have known. There are just too many for it to be accidental. God prepared us for each other.

I do not disagree that it may well not be usual but it can happen.

Ah, found it. The talk I had in mind when I made my comment:

“Soul mates” are fiction and an illusion; and while every young man and young woman will seek with all diligence and prayerfulness to find a mate with whom life can be most compatible and beautiful, yet it is certain that almost any good man and any good woman can have happiness and a successful marriage if both are willing to pay the price.

Link:Oneness in Marriage - Ensign Mar. 1977 - ensign

Is the Ensign considered a Manual? Yes I give the words of prophets a lot of weight. even in their opinions. which is why I think it is probably generally true.

Aaronic Priesthood Manual 3 Lesson 31: Choosing an Eternal Companion

Marriage and Family Relations Participant's Study Guide Lesson 3: Nurturing Love and Friendship in Marriage

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball Chapter 18: Honorable, Happy, Successful Marriage

The Latter-day Saint Woman: Basic Manual for Women, Part A Lesson 10: Eternal Marriage

For the record, I don't have any objection to the idea of the Lord leading someone to an individual who is well suited to them.

Edited by Dravin

For the record, I don't have any objection to the idea of the Lord leading someone to an individual who is well suited to them.

I absolutely believe this happens. I think it can even take a few years of His working on it to bring a couple together. I just don't believe in the Saturday's Warrior/MEANT TO BE since premortal life kind of thing.

I absolutely believe this happens. I think it can even take a few years of His working on it to bring a couple together. I just don't believe in the Saturday's Warrior/MEANT TO BE since premortal life kind of thing.

Yep, it's a rather specific concept of soul mate that is my primary objection.