Easter

kristina12

I looked through and couldnt see this topic, so if its exist someone has to let me know!

Here easter is one of the most sacred holidays through the year, everything closes down from mid week and opens again mid next week. But even though it is sacred, atleast in my family we dont celebrate it to much. We do use the chance to get together as a family and meet and have small gatherings. Otherwise we always get an easter egg filled with candy.

I do feel like my easter wasnt much to share, beside gatherings with family and eating. But I still would love to hear about what you do!

• 2 months later...

I do feel like my easter wasnt much to share, beside gatherings with family and eating. But I still would love to hear about what you do!

You feel like you didn't do enough on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox, (yeah, come on, tell me that's just a coincidence and not a blatant ripoff of a pagan festival day) like snuggle with rabbits and hunt for fertility symbols?

You feel like you didn't do enough on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox, (yeah, come on, tell me that's just a coincidence and not a blatant ripoff of a pagan festival day) like snuggle with rabbits and hunt for fertility symbols?

I'm not sure if you're being funny or serious.

I'll take it serious...

I'm not sure why people have a problem with Christian holidays falling on the same day as Pagan holidays. The thing we celebrate is not the specific date. The thing we celebrate is the commemoration of a specific event in history.

For example, let's say I decide to commemorate January 1 as my favorite grandfather's special memory day - since I already have day off from work. When I celebrate the life of my grandfather on January 1, it really doesn't matter much that that day has been defined as New Year's Day by those who don't care about my grandfather. The only thing that matters is it is a day I chose to remember my grandfather. Now, say my grandfather was actually born on April 4. Well, guess what, I'm not going to commemorate April 4 because I'll never get that day off of work. January 1 is a surer bet that I'll have that day free. Does it really matter what day I chose to remember my grandfather by? Nope.

That's the same for Easter, Christmas, Feast of the Three Kings, President's Day, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, etc. etc. The DATE is not what we are celebrating. The EVENT is what we are celebrating. Jesus Christ was resurrected. He lives. That's what we are celebrating. I'd say celebrate it on the same day as the vernal equinox since the society already has that day reserved for a celebration! No need to take another day off and slaughter another fat cow to roast!

I'm from the Christian tradition of Lent, which is the 40 days of reflection and making sacrifices to prepare for Easter, which is the most important day in the calendar. We do observe Good Friday, but that's because in order for the Atonement to happen, Christ had to die for humanity's sins before He could be resurrected. Most other Christians also know that Christ is God in human form, and that there's also the Father, and the Holy Spirit to make up the complete Trinity.

In the Philippines, they re-enact the Passion play exactly as it happens on the Bible on the same timeline. So, they start the play on the Sunday before Easter (Palm Sunday) where Jesus enters Jerusalem. Jesus then teaches and heals at the temple (usually the Catholic Cathedral) and so on and so forth until Thursday night when Jesus and his apostles eat the last supper and does all the Gethsemane happenings. Judas hangs himself then (okay, nobody actually dies in this play). Then Friday, Jesus goes through the scourging and the crowning of thorns (yes, the actor gets scourged and crowned with thorns - for real) and then he goes on the procession to end up nailed to the cross with the 2 criminals (yes, all 3 gets NAILED for real). At 3PM he dies (no, no, he doesn't really die - they have doctors on standby to make sure). They take Jesus and the criminals down and Jesus is laid on a "coffin" made of glass (so you can see through it) in the Church and he sleeps until Easter Sunday (I don't know if he gets bathroom breaks! I just know they give him something so he would sleep and rest). He then continues the play on Sunday to meet with the Apostles, get Thomas to touch his wounds, and all that stuff.

It's quite an amazing thing. All the actors are volunteers. There is a long waiting line - well past 20 years for who gets to play Jesus the next year.