Trayvon Martin

Tyler90AZ

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How dare they try to "better educate students and their parents about race relations and social injustice," keep children safe, "send a message to stop the bullying and bring about a happy spirit," and foster "a sense of bonding within the community and within the school?" What a pernicious message it is "for them to understand that life is precious!" Oy, what is this world coming to? :blink:

Okay, I admit it sounds a bit silly to an outside observer like me to name it Trayvon Martin Day and hand out Skittles. But it is well-intentioned, and they're right that the kids in the school have heard about the incident, and will be better able to relate to it than to something from way back in the 1960s.

How dare they try to "better educate students and their parents about race relations and social injustice," keep children safe, "send a message to stop the bullying and bring about a happy spirit," and foster "a sense of bonding within the community and within the school?" What a pernicious message it is "for them to understand that life is precious!" Oy, what is this world coming to? :blink:

Okay, I admit it sounds a bit silly to an outside observer like me to name it Trayvon Martin Day and hand out Skittles. But it is well-intentioned, and they're right that the kids in the school have heard about the incident, and will be better able to relate to it than to something from way back in the 1960s.

It is not well-intentioned. It is de facto adjudging Martin to have been a victim of murder. Such crap has no place in publicly funded education. If the "educators" had truly wanted to enhance race relations, they would never have dragged the name of Trayvon Martin into it, much less name a day after him.

It is not well-intentioned. It is de facto adjudging Martin to have been a victim of murder. Such crap has no place in publicly funded education. If the "educators" had truly wanted to enhance race relations, they would never have dragged the name of Trayvon Martin into it, much less name a day after him.

adjudging Martin to have been a victim of murder....and a victim of racism. Total and complete ignorance at it's finest. I think more tax dollars are spent (wasted) in DC on education than any where else. What a joke...

Gee hmmm. Well it is a sin to educate people about anything not math or reading or writing. And we must make sure that they arent corrupted by discussing what they see and read in the news and internet. Seems a lot smarter to me to discuss it freely. If I were black I would certainly be interested in the Martin case. I might just be a victim of something like that myself. Maybe he wasnt the victim. Ok let the kids discuss that. Teach them to think for themselves and come to rational conclusions. Cant do that if we pretend these things dont happen and that certain, heck many, things ought to be hidden from their lives. What is wrong with making it a Trevor Martin day? Its an issue for them that they need to be fully aware of and think about.

Wouldn't hurt those of us not black to give it some thought too about how it ever happened. The shooting is a symptom of illness. Illness in our culture.

Gee hmmm. Well it is a sin to educate people about anything not math or reading or writing. And we must make sure that they arent corrupted by discussing what they see and read in the news and internet. Seems a lot smarter to me to discuss it freely. If I were black I would certainly be interested in the Martin case. I might just be a victim of something like that myself. Maybe he wasnt the victim. Ok let the kids discuss that. Teach them to think for themselves and come to rational conclusions. Cant do that if we pretend these things dont happen and that certain, heck many, things ought to be hidden from their lives. What is wrong with making it a Trevor Martin day? Its an issue for them that they need to be fully aware of and think about.

Wouldn't hurt those of us not black to give it some thought too about how it ever happened. The shooting is a symptom of illness. Illness in our culture.

The problem is not that they're trying to educate. The problem is that they are calling it Trayvon Martin Day. Why not call it George Zimmerman Day? His name is just as popular as Trayvon's now. Why not call it Trayvon-George Day?

The fact that they called it Trayvon Martin day HONORS Trayvon and what he represents.

And please, Trayvon Martin being a "victim" is still up in the air.

And no, nobody pretends racisms doesn't happen. But assigning it to Trayvon Martin is, AT BEST, ignorant, at worst, hatemongering.

Considering they are not going to ever be in Zimmermans position it is not hard to see why they are more interested in the Martin side. If it were a Atheist that killed an LDS teenager which side do you feel most empathy for? Which side do you see the possibility of being in their situation?

How do you know they are not trying to educate the kids? Did they focus on dangers they might well face? Sounds pretty smart to me.

Considering they are not going to ever be in Zimmermans position it is not hard to see why they are more interested in the Martin side. If it were a Atheist that killed an LDS teenager which side do you feel most empathy for? Which side do you see the possibility of being in their situation?

How do you know they are not trying to educate the kids? Did they focus on dangers they might well face? Sounds pretty smart to me.

Why wouldn't they be in Zimmerman's position? Oh, I get it... because they're racists. They can only empathize with black people regardless of what the black person respresent.

If an Atheist killed an LDS teenager I will feel most empathy for the guy who was wronged. And that is because... I'm not a religious-ist!

You are missing the point. The education is not the issue - we don't know that they are teaching from that article. Honoring Trayvon Martin is the issue. It sends the message that Trayvon Martin is this good guy who became a victim of racism. It's bad enough that you have Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson as role models for these kids - 2 big-time race hatemongering people. Now you add Trayvon Martin's case as their role model too. Sheesh. You can't teach children to stop racism by teaching them how to be racists. One of the best ways to teach them to stop racism is by teaching them how to empathize with people not of their race.

Edited by anatess

Naming a day after someone suggests that the person is being honored. At best, Martin was a victim of an over-zealous Neighborhood watchmen, who racially profiled him. At worst, Martin was looking for trouble, decided to beat down Zimmerman for trailing him, and got shot in the process. None of that should earn you a day named for you.

Ok let the kids discuss that. Teach them to think for themselves and come to rational conclusions.

Seriously? You think that's what the school administrators are doing by naming a day "Trayvon Martin Day" and handing out Skittles? You think they're encouraging the students to examine the facts dispassionately and draw conclusions based on evidence?

Baloney. No one over the age of six is naive enough to believe that.

Seriously? You think that's what the school administrators are doing by naming a day "Trayvon Martin Day" and handing out Skittles? You think they're encouraging the students to examine the facts dispassionately and draw conclusions based on evidence?

Baloney. No one over the age of six is naive enough to believe that.

C'mon, Vort. Don't dismiss the sunbeams now! They know better than that too!

Do you think Zimmerman's dishonesty about money will cast a shadow over his actual trial? What he did was super foolish, but could it get him convicted in a trial that is likely months away? My own view is that if the case is 50/50 this could damage his credibility, but not if the prosecution fails to offer a convincing case.

Do you think Zimmerman's dishonesty about money will cast a shadow over his actual trial? What he did was super foolish, but could it get him convicted in a trial that is likely months away? My own view is that if the case is 50/50 this could damage his credibility, but not if the prosecution fails to offer a convincing case.

I agree with you, PC. It all still rides on the prosecution's overall case; but one of their major weaknesses was that the only surviving firsthand witness was likely to get up on the witness stand and tell a different story than the one they want us to believe. Zimmerman's version of being attacked by Martin was, IMHO, pretty darned compelling; especially in light of the physical evidence.

At this point, as a defense attorney, I'd be worried about Zimmerman's testifying at all. If he gets up on the stand, the state is within their right to attack his credibility by citing his false testimony offered to date.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I agree with you, PC. It all still rides on the prosecution's overall case; but one of their major weaknesses was that the only surviving firsthand witness was likely to get up on the witness stand and tell a different story than the one they want us to believe. Zimmerman's version of being attacked by Martin was, IMHO, pretty darned compelling; especially in light of the physical evidence.

At this point, as a defense attorney, I'd be worried about Zimmerman's testifying at all. If he gets up on the stand, the state is within their right to attack his credibility by citing his false testimony offered to date.

The guy appeared to falsely testify like three different times during his bail. They better keep him far from the stand.

First and foremost may Trayvon Martin rest in peace, it's unfortunate that this has become a social, political frenzy. Unfortunately, the system is flawed regardless if it's stand your ground he was not an official police officer but a neighborhood watch volunteer. This is disturbing because how can you bare armor if your a volunteer, that's exceeding the constitutional right unless your an officer, not even security guards can carry guns unless issued a firearm permit by the Bureau. We have the right to bare armor but it must not be loaded and if in the vehicle the bullets must not be stored inside or by the gun. And common sense is to make sure you have backup when you feel there is a perp on premises. This whole thing could have been done in an effective manner but it's obvious that zimmerman lacked moral ethics. Even if the security was african american you should call for backup regardless, don't try to pursue without having a witness. Zimmerman should be disciplined due to lack of moral ethical judgement, this whole race is irrelevant he doesn' t even look caucasian. I must be color blind...

This is disturbing because how can you bare armor if your a volunteer

Florida is a concealed carry permit state, regular citizens can get concealed carry permits without being a volunteer of anything.

not even security guards can carry guns unless issued a firearm permit by the Bureau.

The Bureau? Meaning the FBI? Um no... the State of Florida is quite capable of issuing Class G firearm licenses to security officers. If you somehow mean the Florida state organs, such a license is issued by the Division of Licensing which itself is under the Department of Agriculture and Customer Services.

I agree Sicily - first and foremost, some poor kid is dead, and that's a shame. But the rest of your post was sort of confusing. Tell us again how 'the system is flawed' - and what 'system' are you talking about? The constitution? Florida state law?

Zimmerman was legally carrying concealed because he had a conceal carry permit - not because he was a 'volunteer'. And yeah, pretty much every state out there allows conceal carry by private citizens in some form or other.

(I'm assuming you mean 'bear arms' when you say 'bare armor' too.)

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

I just find it ironic how when it looked like he would get off that people were saying let the system sort itself out. Then when he got arrested they started saying the system is flawed.

Not talking about your post Sicily, but many other posters on here.

Can you quote which post/posts you're referring to? I've been following this thread and didn't see that.