Returning to the church after a long time

tolisamarie

I've been there and I know how intimidating it can be but I can honestly say that when I got back it was wonderful to be back and the only thing I could think was, why did it take me so long to figure out I wanted to be back.

What specifically are you intimidated by and what kind of advice are you looking for?

In terms of just general advice, call the bishop of wherever you are and set up a meeting, not any sort of confession thing but just to let him know who you are and that you want to get back into the ward. He'll be one of the best ones to help you adjust into a ward and it's always nice knowing that there is someone there who knows you and is concerned about helping you.

I don't really have any mind blowing words of advice but I have been in your position before, in fact, I'm newly active in the gospel again. Just something that helped me, was joining this site and participating in threads, learning from others and eventually I gained enough courage to take the first step and go to church. Oh, and one more thing, what I learned on my journey to returning to the gospel is "baby steps". If you try to take mammoth leaps in one shot, you're bound to set yourself up for disappointment, so zone in on one or two small things to start off with. I started with personal prayer (never went to church). I asked the Lord for guidance and strength. Soon, I was praying with my husband and now we do couple prayers at night before bedtime. We started blessing our food before we eat. All little things but they made a difference and now we're making it to church every Sunday. Just sacrament at first, now, we're making it to classes too.

I was inactive for about a year once. I was worried about coming back and having people comment or be overly nice. When people asked me if I was new, I just said no, I just haven't been here for awhile. That seemed to work nicely.

I have a friend who was inactive for several years. She moved and used it as a fresh start to go back to church. She was really worried about having others comment or judge. Moving worked so nicely for her because no one was the wiser that she had been inactive for years. (Well, the Bishop knew, but you know what I mean!)

I like the suggestion about taking small steps. You could even just go for sacrament for a few weeks just to get your feet wet.

Good luck to you!

Guest DeborahC

I was inactive for many, many years.

I was lovingly embraced when I returned, although it did take a few weeks for people to figure out where the heck I came from.

Just go.. do it for yourself and for your Heavenly Father, not for other Ward members.

Just go...

Thank you for all your kind words of encouragement.

I guess I'm feeling awkward because I haven't been active since I was in college when my parents quit the church. They had negative experiences in the church and carried a lot of anger towards LDS.

I was newly endowed at the time and heading off to college, so I was busy with my new life and when my mom told me that they quit the church. I just thought I should stop going too, after all, I was mostly going for my family at that point any way, like any teenager I suppose.

I'm just now reaching a stage in my life where I feel the lack of spirituality in my life. I want to return to the religion of my childhood, but I'm worried that it won't feel the same as I remember it.

I just went through the exact same thing.

I wrote a post on here in November, looking for words of encouragement, and how to best approach returning. I received great support. I started joining in on conversations here, and reading the ensign on line as well as the scriptures.

It took until the beginning of February for me to return. I asked another friend who was also inactive to join me so I didn't feel so alone. We haven't missed a week yet :D

Walking into that chapel for the first time in nearly ten years, I was really nervous... as were 6 of my 10 kids I had brought with me. My oldest daughter was really scared about it. Wouldn't you know it though, the welcoming music that played as we gathered in the chapel was the one hymn I had sung to all my children many times over the years. That one little thing put us all at ease. Funny how the spirit works sometimes.

My oldest daughter has her baptismal date in *eep* 2 more weeks...

I'm just now reaching a stage in my life where I feel the lack of spirituality in my life. I want to return to the religion of my childhood, but I'm worried that it won't feel the same as I remember it.

Not to sound trite but a lot of it is what you put into it, meaning if you pay lip service you won't get much out of it. If you are sincere and committed and make whatever changes you need to make in your life it probably won't be like you remember it when you were younger - it will be much better.

The key, in my experience, is to trust and have faith that it will get better when you have -- and you will -- moments of struggle and self-doubt as you try to return to church. I hope that doesn't sound discouraging in the least because the rewards really are so much greater than any cost but you need to decide up front you are committed to returning and then do what you need to.

I think you will find that it is better than you remember it, actually. Because now you're not going for someone else. You're going because you're following a spiritual need—a prompting, if you will. You are more mature now. Your capacity to understand is greater now. Your ability to empathize with others is enhanced because of your life experience. In my opinion you are on the verge of a embarking on very edifying, life-changing journey.

But I echo other things that have been said. Do not run faster than you have strength. There simply is no need. God will give you line upon line what you need. There is plenty of time to learn. Plenty of time to ponder and grow.

And remember to be as forgiving and accepting toward the members of your ward as you are no-doubt hoping they will be toward you. They are the part of the Church that is imperfect. But it's God's church, so go with humility and confidence and a desire to serve others, and you'll never look back. I promise.

Yes I have been in your position before.

I was born and raised in the church but went inactive when I moved away from home and went to college. I was only "inactive" for about 3 years and I understand what you mean about it being intimidating. I had no idea where our ward was or anyone that would be there. I probably would have started going back a year sooner than I did if it weren't for these fears.

I had my dad come down and visit me and my husband (who isn't a member) and he went to the ward in our area with us. It made going there after that on my own much easier.

Also, don't worry about it not "feeling the same".. in my experience, it felt better than I remembered. The sooner you get over your fear and go back, the sooner you'll get to have the gospel back in your life. It is so so so worth it.

It's been almost a year since I started going back and I feel at home there and the people in our ward are so amazing. I was also just recently called into the Young Women's as an advisor and I love it. Being back in church and having the gospel back in my life is so unbelievably amazing and I strongly urge you and anyone else who is inactive to head back as soon as you can :)