Birthright vs. Inheritance

What is the difference between birthright and inheritance as it pertains to after this life?

I realize that birthright relates to the inheritance of the firstborn and seems to be practice seen in the day before Jesus brings the higher order.

Bible Dictionary:

"Birthright

Birthright. Under the patriarchal order, the right or inheritance of the firstborn is known as birthright. This generally included a land inheritance as well as the authority to preside. The firstborn of flocks and of human families was considered as belonging to the Lord, and was expected to be dedicated to him. This dedication could be either literal or by the payment of redemption money (Ex. 13:11–16).

From time to time certain prerogatives, opportunities, and blessings have attended those who were born of a particular lineage. Thus the office of high priest (of the Aaronic order) and the office of the patriarch to the Church (in the Melchizedek Priesthood) are hereditary in nature. Lineage alone does not guarantee the blessings or spiritual power of the office, but the opportunities are offered to the firstborn of the selected lineage. There are several instances in the scriptures of the one who was the firstborn losing his birthright because of unrighteousness, and his office being given to another; such is the case with Esau (Gen. 25:24–34; 27), and Reuben (1 Chr. 5:1–2; Jer. 31:9)."

So, the question is; Does birthright, especially as it pertains to inheritance of the firstborn, in effect after this life? Or are we all "firstborns" if we are worthy. In other words, is there really a "firstborn" amongst us who are not Jesus? If our inheritance comes through Jesus (if that is the case), who receives all the Father has as His inheritance, then do we also receive all, if we are worthy? ... it wouldn't be divided by any birth order, just based on worthiness alone, right?

Also the term "birthright" make it sound like there is an opportunity to receive that would eventually have to be earned an worked out, whereas "inheritance" sounds like something gifted, not made on one's own. It seems that one could not change their birthright - it is either there or not, except to loose it, whereas inheritance is mostly dependent on one's actions and desires of the heart - its up to them.

I would apply the terms of firstborn and birthright, in this thread, to our relationship to God not our earthly parents. Just to avoid confusion.

To me our birthright means that we are children of God. That we have the opportunity to obtain a human body, experience sin, learn, become resurrected and then (depending upon our worthiness and dedication) be assigned to a kingdom of Glory that we are worthy of receiving.

Firstborn is a much greater tittle. I believe that those that become members of the Church of the Firstborn, will be those that receive all that the Father hath.

D&C 93:20-22

D&C 76:52-55, 94-95

D&C 78:17-22

In my opinion, if you are not a member of the Church of the Firstborn, you don't get much of an inheritance...

Edited by mikbone

In terms of a birthright in the Biblical sense (firstborn of all the children), I think there's a quote out there that as firstborn spirit child of the Father, the role of savior was Jehovah's "birthright" should he choose to fulfill it. Otherwise I don't recall seeing any kind of reference to a birthright per se functioning anywhere in the eternities. However, I think the more general idea of some people having different (and higher) stewardships, and some people claiming blessings through others, is perpetuated in the parent-child sealing.

I'm not sure how much I agree with your differing views of birthright v. inheritance. Inheritance is also something you claim by virtue of birth (just not sequence of birth)--from the moment you're born, barring adoption, either you have it or you don't. Moreover, it seems birthright isn't always tied to the sequence of birth. We can explain Jacob's claiming the birthright over Esau, because Esau forfeited it. We can explain Joseph's taking the birthright over ten older brothers because Reuben (the firstborn of all) forfeited it and Joseph was the firstborn of the next wife. But it's harder to explain why Ephraim claimed the birthright over his brother Manassah who a) was older, b) was his full brother, and c) apparently never relinquished his claim and whose claim was actually encouraged by his father Joseph.

Incidentally, both sons of Joseph were adopted by Jacob in Genesis 48; which is why there are tribes of Ephraim and Manassah but no tribe of Joseph.

The difference between inheritance and birthright in gospel terms is the difference between salvation and exaltation. In salvation we are joint heirs in Christ, we share in His inheritance. In exaltation we have the birthright of Israel as passed down from Abraham to Isaac to Jacob through Joseph to his sons Ephraim and Manasseh.

In the LDS Church the birthright is obtained through the ordinances of the gospel of Christ (we become the descendants of Abraham in Israel) plus a patriarchal blessing, which would specify one's lineage to a tribe of Israel (the majority of LDS receiving a patriarchal blessing are placed in the lineage of Ephraim or Manasseh).

It is probably not just a coincident that Jacob's son Joseph and the LDS Church's first prophet Joseph Smith had the same first name. After all the LDS Church is the restoration of Israel, the name given to Jacob by God.

The biblical triad of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob example and foretell of our God as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost manifested today in the Priesthood, the Anointed One, and His Church.

Edited by Bensalem

I would apply the terms of firstborn and birthright, in this thread, to our relationship to God not our earthly parents. Just to avoid confusion.

To me our birthright means that we are children of God. That we have the opportunity to obtain a human body, experience sin, learn, become resurrected and then (depending upon our worthiness and dedication) be assigned to a kingdom of Glory that we are worthy of receiving.

Firstborn is a much greater tittle. I believe that those that become members of the Church of the Firstborn, will be those that receive all that the Father hath.

D&C 93:20-22

D&C 76:52-55, 94-95

D&C 78:17-22

In my opinion, if you are not a member of the Church of the Firstborn, you don't get much of an inheritance...

I think I am on the same page. I guess also wanted to explore the meaning of the word "inheritance". If one is to get an inheritance, at least in the earthly sense, it seems like a reward that was not personally achieved by the person. In other words, the reward is, at least in part, not produced by the individual receiving it, it is a gift beyond their own personal production. I think we hear hints of that when we talk about Christ being the finisher, etc. I don't think it was ever intended for us to do it all on our own.

I realize to some this doesn't jive well with their concept that they are supposed to overcome everything on their own at some point in their training and development. I tend to believe in the idea of inheritance, that there are some things "overcome" by means of inheritance. One example, does God know what it is like to deliver a baby through personal experience or by inherited knowledge/experience? I tend to think there must be a way to pass on "experience" via inheritance, and maybe this is how one can become eternal and always having a fullness, once that fullness is passed on, all past experiences are inherited. Maybe this is what the perfected body holds. This only becomes an issue, though, if one believes in the possibility of inheritance as opposed to 100% self achievement.

In answering my own questions and with the help of the responses, I believe, birthright is our potential at any given point which, of course, includes our inheritance. That potential can change depending on our worthiness and obedience. Inheritance, to me, seems like the thing that is received after all the testing is done. D&C 78; 21-22 " 21 For ye are the church of the Firstborn, and he will take you up in a cloud, and appoint every man his portion.

22 And he that is a faithful and wise steward shall inherit all things. Amen."

Obviously, there are different inheritances appointed at a certain point. The question I have is; at that time of appointment is the inheritance, such as inheriting "all things" given or still just a right or a potential?

How do we view "inheritance"? Is it something given or still just a potential that has to be achieved by one's own effort over time? If it is still something that is just a potential and not granted or given or gifted, then it seems like that is no different than what "birthright" means. This is why I raised the question of what is the difference between birthright and inheritance.

I think this affects how we view a lot of our doctrine. There would be a difference in how one views the role of Christ if He is just the 'admissions administrator' as opposed to the one who gives the gift in full. If Christ is just the 'admissions administrator' deciding who gets into the program for Eternal Life, then I can see how sometimes people would tend to believe that they somehow have to 'overcome' every little challenge they face and if they don't learn it here then they would be given other opportunities to 'overcome' or master it later. Like being admitted to college, one would still have to take the classes and pass them. This would be opposed to receiving the gift of mastery based in worthiness to receive such a gift, without having to pass through line upon line, do it on one's own steps. This would be more along the lines of an honorary degree, to receive the degree without having to take the classes but based in certain qualifying achievements. (to use that metaphor)

It is possible to receive gifts of mastery, gifts of the spirit. If we believe such a thing, I don't see how that can't be true for the greatest gift, that of Eternal life and joy. This would be the difference between a 'right' versus a gift (inheritance). Do we believe Eternal Life (the full inheritance) is a gift that is granted or just an admission to a potential, like a birthright?