International LDS Scouting

I have been working on an internet resource for international LDS Scouting. Internationally LDS sponsored scout groups are rare. However it is not uncommon to find LDS youth, both boys and girls in scouting.

It is also sometimes the case that we encounter LDS youth from the United States who take part in the local scouting programs overseas. In such cases there are occasional issues that arise from the "duty to the Queen" statement found in the oath in commonwealth realms to the fact that in most of the world scouting is co-educational.

The site I have been developing is at https://sites.google.com/site/intldsscouts/ please have a look and email me your thoughts. Thank you

Greg Kearney

You say on the home page that "With proper priesthood approval sacrament could be served on Sunday. " It should be noted that the Church's policy in this matter is

Sacrament meetings are not to be held—and the sacrament is not to be administered—outside the boundaries of the ward or stake where the priesthood leaders preside. Any exceptions must be approved by a member of the Presidency of the Seventy (Scouting Handbook, page 6)

Possible work-arounds:

• have a sacrament service in the ward boundaries after returning from the trip. The scouts and leaders could meet at a member's home for their own service before going to their own homes to unpack.
  • have a worship service without administering the sacrament.

It might be good to put up a link to the current version of the Church's Scouting Handbook.

I like that you are supportive of enrollment in non-LDS programs, and even in co-ed programs. Overall, I think it's a good start. It would be nice if there were a way for viewers to interact and share tips and experiences, but I don't know that Google sites has that functionality.

Thank you for your comments I will add the link to the manual. However it is focused on the BSA program and would have to be adjusted for scouting outside of an LDS sponsored unit where the LDS scouts make up only a small part of the whole unit. Does anyone know if there is a similar handbook for scouting outside of the United States?

I noticed that the sacrament meeting issue does not apply except when outside the ward or stake. In our case here in Australia this would not really be an issue. The stake that encompasses where we are located covers an area the size of Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, and California. Lots of camping potential in an area that big while still staying "within the stake".

Thank you for your comments I will add the link to the manual. However it is focused on the BSA program and would have to be adjusted for scouting outside of an LDS sponsored unit where the LDS scouts make up only a small part of the whole unit. Does anyone know if there is a similar handbook for scouting outside of the United States?

You're right, and I don't think I was clear enough. I intended the scouting handbook more for the benefit of people hoping to run a LDS-style program in foreign based BSA troops. It doesn't need to be a prominent link, but just a casual FYI.

I noticed that the sacrament meeting issue does not apply except when outside the ward or stake. In our case here in Australia this would not really be an issue. The stake that encompasses where we are located covers an area the size of Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, and California. Lots of camping potential in an area that big while still staying "within the stake".

Lucky you! I'm kind of envious of that as Sunday meetings are a big issue of disagreement between myself and LDS scouters.

My family and I were living outside the US when my son was of age to participate in BSA. We were able to contact BSA in Texas, where the Lone Scout Program is administered. My son advanced through scouting and earned his Eagle Rank while being the only scout on an island in the Caribbean.

It can be done but takes a lot of work on the boys part to earn it.

Ben Raines

• 2 weeks later...

My family and I were living outside the US when my son was of age to participate in BSA. We were able to contact BSA in Texas, where the Lone Scout Program is administered. My son advanced through scouting and earned his Eagle Rank while being the only scout on an island in the Caribbean.

It can be done but takes a lot of work on the boys part to earn it.

Ben Raines

You are right, such can be done for U.S. expatiates. Further there are BSA groups for expatriates as well in some countries.

However these options is not open to youth in nations with their own national scouting programs. What I am addressing here is the interaction between the local scouting programs and the Church youth programs. Most LDS youth in scouting outside of the United States and Canada will be in a community or school based scout group not attached in any way to the Church.

My site does speak to this issue of U.S. expatiates and BSA scouting options. For some, living as you were with no scouting options this is a good option to follow. Others may well benefit from having their children in the local scouting program which exposes them to the local culture and to youth their own age.