Jacob's Olive grove allegory

Sunday21

Dear Bros/Sis's

Are you working on Jacob 5-6? I find these scriptures quite confusing. In particular in Jacob 4, Jacob sets up the allegory by saying

"16 But behold, according to the scriptures, this stone [The Savior] shall become the great, and the last, and the only sure foundation, upon which the Jews can build.

17 And now, my beloved, how is it possible that these, after having rejected the sure foundation, can ever build upon it, that it may become the head of their corner?"

I am not sure that Jacob 5-6 answers this question. As far as I can tell some of the Jews do accept the Savior, namely

1. Some of the Jews who travel to North America and become Nephites/Lamonites

2. Some of the Jews who are scattered become Christians.

As a percentage of the Jews, groups 1 and 2, seem rather small. Do other Jews accept the Savior after they regroup in Jerusalem when the Jews are gathered just before the Millenium? During the Millenium? Does anyone have any scriptural or doctrinal references that might shed some light on this?

Thanks!:mellow:

Dear Bros/Sis's

Are you working on Jacob 5-6? I find these scriptures quite confusing. In particular in Jacob 4, Jacob sets up the allegory by saying

"16 But behold, according to the scriptures, this stone [The Savior] shall become the great, and the last, and the only sure foundation, upon which the Jews can build.

17 And now, my beloved, how is it possible that these, after having rejected the sure foundation, can ever build upon it, that it may become the head of their corner?"

I am not sure that Jacob 5-6 answers this question. As far as I can tell some of the Jews do accept the Savior, namely

1. Some of the Jews who travel to North America and become Nephites/Lamonites

2. Some of the Jews who are scattered become Christians.

As a percentage of the Jews, groups 1 and 2, seem rather small. Do other Jews accept the Savior after they regroup in Jerusalem when the Jews are gathered just before the Millenium? During the Millenium? Does anyone have any scriptural or doctrinal references that might shed some light on this?

We are not told when these things will occur, only that they will occur. It is my opinion that they are and have been occurring for some time now. We are not given specifics; that is to be determined in watching history unfold, and perhaps through personal revelation.

In my opinion, Jacob fully and brilliantly answers the question he poses: How then can these (of the house of Israel) be saved after having rejected their foundation stone? In answer, the Lord changes the metaphor to an olive grove and discusses how the various branches of Israel will be broken off of the mother trunk and grafted elsewhere, while the original trunk and roots are themselves preserved through foreign grafts. Eventually, the original roots and branches are reunited and produce much fruit for a long time.

The allegory of the tame and wild olive trees is a timeline of the scattering and the gathering of Israel and the end. The Nephites and Lamanites are "of the Jews" meaning they're from Jerusalem, but they are not Jews, as in from the tribe of Judah. Lehi, when he pronounces his blessing upon his youngest son tells him that they are from the tribe of Joseph, who was sold into Egypt. We find out later in Alma that Lehi is a descendant of Manasseh, son of Joseph. The Nephite/Lamanite scattering is barely touched on in Jacob 5, but it is there. The entire Book of Mormon is a record of of the remnant of Joseph, while the Bible is of Judah.

With respect to

I suppose that those "of the Jews" such as the apostizing Nephites and Laminites could be said to have rejected the Savior when they apostize. Therefore, I guess that references to the Nephites and Laminites do fit in with verses 16 & 17. Also I found a number of references with respect to Jews accepting the Savior when they are gathered to Jerusalem before the last days. Consequently, it does seem that Jacob does fulfil his promise in verses 16 & 17.