Real Testimony

Anon16

What is the best way to gain one? My bishop talks about it, but I don't completely understand. I read my Scriptures on a daily basis, as well as pray frequently, and I attend my meeting. I don't have the spark though,but I'm not sure how to get it.

Honestly, I want to have one. Until I do, and also have a testimony of the atonement, I'm always going to be second rate.

For myself, I'm not sure what I can do. Are there any books I should be reading, or things I should be praying for in particular?

Testimony is not gained through technique. It is gained through searching.

A testimony is a revelation from God. Everyone who has received a testimony has received it because s/he wanted it. Some who proudly profess to be faithless claim this is proof that it is merely self-delusion; nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, God will reveal himself to all who sincerely seek him, but he keeps hidden from the casual inquirer. Knowledge of God is a powerful thing, to the exaltation or damnation of him who knows. For this reason, God reveals himself only to those who really want to know him.

Do you really want to know God? If so, keep searching, and he will reveal himself to you. That is a sure thing. But once revealed, God must be followed and always sought after.

The Book of Mormon is a convenient entrance point for a testimony, and one we have been encouraged to use. Read the book, not casually, like a novel in which you have a cursory interest, but intently, really trying to understand these prophets and their words. Then ask God, "Is this real? Is it true? Is it from Thee?" Then listen. Sooner or later, but in all likelihood before too long, you will receive the revelation of its truthfulness.

What is the best way to gain one? My bishop talks about it, but I don't completely understand. I read my Scriptures on a daily basis, as well as pray frequently, and I attend my meeting. I don't have the spark though,but I'm not sure how to get it.

Honestly, I want to have one. Until I do, and also have a testimony of the atonement, I'm always going to be second rate.

For myself, I'm not sure what I can do. Are there any books I should be reading, or things I should be praying for in particular?

Testimonies grow. Sometimes they grow slowly and we don't feel the "spark." Its a slow warm comforting feeling. This often happens with those raised in the church. We grow up believing and then we suddenly or not so suddenly wonder if we really have a testimony. That is when we need to find out for ourselves and not rely on others.

My experience with this happened when I was a little older than you. I wasn't sure if I had a testimony. So I started praying, and praying, and praying. I was reading scriptures, attending my meetings, fasting, etc. All the things we are suppose to do, but I didn't feel like I was getting an answer and I started to feel I didn't have a testimony. I could have written your post.

Then one day while driving down the road, thinking and praying and listening to scriptures. I was getting frustrated and discouraged because I hadn't had the "spark" that confirmed the church was true. I was doing everything I was suppose to to get that spiritual confirmation, but it wasn't happening. I hadn't felt what other people described and I wanted that experience. Then suddenly I had a spiritual slap on the hand. The spirit spoke to my mind and basically said, "You already know."

I'm not saying that this applies to you. I don't know your history with the church. I'm hoping that my experience might be helpful.

Guest chelseafc
Hidden
Mayweather vs Cotto a German  Mayweather vs Cotto in  a  at Pacquiao vs Bradley Live'  dog  .Malachy 114 best  Mayweather vs Cotto Live Stream ribbons on  Mayweather vs Cotto Live voted for Daw Suu!" said Ma Canelo vs Mosley a 33- London 2012 Live old Mosley vs Canelo Live Stream using the Ceremonies London 2012 ’s London 2012 Olympic Live title while Mayweather vs Cotto Live at the Mayweather vs Cotto time peacock Olympiad London Live Stream representing Suu Pacquiao vs Bradley Live Stream ’s UFC 145 Live. "I'm so pleased Mayweather vs Cotto live I can vote  her, and I  UFC 145 Live Stream can say that." ,  is  add Olympiad London 2012 Live His done ,  The London Live Stream of the world Ceremonies London 2012 Live be on London on 27 July 2012 for the London 2012 Olympic Live Ceremony Jones vs evans Live Stream the London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremonies London 2012 . The Ceremony will mark Mayweather vs Cotto beginning of the XXXth Olympiad. Opening Ceremonies | The Ceremonies | London 2012 will provide an London 2012 Olympic for th. 

A testimony isn't necessarily an all or nothing thing. It may be that you have a testimony of certain things already, such as some of the commandments or teachings.

Alma 32 is a great chapter for finding a testimony. Most testimonies do not occur all at once. They are grown, just like a plant. Begin by planting the word in your heart, and believe in the parts you now are able to believe, even if you can only desire to believe. Then nourish it by prayer, scripture study and meditation. Little by little, you will have moments of clarity that will strengthen the spiritual experience you seek. Occasionally, you will have strong experiences, but for most of us, those only occur infrequently. For most of us, it is the Spirit that moves within us that makes a difference.

Then, as with growing any plant, be patient. It will take time for it to begin growing and being visible.

Assuming your worthiness to benefit from the gift of the Holy Ghost is not impaired, I think the best way to gain a testimony is to serve. Go out with the missionaries on their rounds to investigator's homes (with the bishops permission). Serve or bless the sacrament. Do charity work. Do the genealogical research for your family and do the temple work for them. Witness to your faith at fast and testimony meeting. Continue to ask and you shall receive.

Live your life too its fullest with the gospel in your forfront of your heart and mind and learn too love others especially the haters keep searching for truth always a real testimony comes with experiance and trials will develope your faith just a small amount can move mountains :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same question. How does one know what is truth and what is not?

It's like we're taught in Primary and/or Sunday School. And Alma 32.

Start with belief, or a desire to believe. Act on it. Do what you believe is right.

If it's right, the holy spirit will give you a positive, peaceful, confirming feeling. If it's not, then you'll feel bad, or confused, or uncomfortable.

Respond accordingly, and the impressions you receive will continue to intensify.

HJ

It's like we're taught in Primary and/or Sunday School. And Alma 32.

Start with belief, or a desire to believe. Act on it. Do what you believe is right.

If it's right, the holy spirit will give you a positive, peaceful, confirming feeling. If it's not, then you'll feel bad, or confused, or uncomfortable.

Respond accordingly, and the impressions you receive will continue to intensify.

HJ

Thanks. That goes to my next question, how can I tell the difference between spirit and emotion?

A positive peaceful confirming feeling is something I also get when watching movies, thinking about science, reading about buddhism and so forth. I once had a major decision to make about a job, and I got that peaceful, confirming feeling that builds inner confidence. In fact, it was a feeling that made my chest feel like it would burst from being overjoyed and my head was like being on-fire with alertness and excitement, while at the same time feeling calm and peaceful about everything, love towards everyone. It was the same feeling I thought I had gotten when I felt I had gotten a testimony. Within a week of starting the job, I realized it was a huge mistake. Same thing getting married.

I don't think that peaceful feelings, even the strong ones that raise your mental alertness, make you feel like you're going to burst inside, have an overflowing of love for all humankind, these don't really mean something is absolutely true. They mean you feel good about it right then and there.

People the world over have these feelings all the time. People the world over get confused and down. These are just strong feelings.

So how does one really know the difference between these and the spirit?

Edited by cryophil