RS - Non LDS (or yet )

kristina12

I have been considering the RS, and their work.

As far as I have understood, you dont have to be a LDS to actually be a part of them. My questions then are;

1) How do you approach the local LDS when you are a non LDS?

2) How much time do they expect you to put into it?

3) Is there alot of pressure to meet the missionaries/ join the LDS?

4) And I also worry that it may sound selfish, I am considering this because I have more free time now since I am done with school (and my boyfriend dumped me) and I want to have something meaningfull to do and that I can focus my energy. I want to put my time into something positive.

I know I will one day, but not yet. The time and how my life is now is just not ideal for joining. And this is something I have considered and I know there probably isnt a perfect time for anything, but at the moment.... it is not right for me.

I have been considering the RS, and their work.

As far as I have understood, you dont have to be a LDS to actually be a part of them. My questions then are;

1) How do you approach the local LDS when you are a non LDS?

2) How much time do they expect you to put into it?

3) Is there alot of pressure to meet the missionaries/ join the LDS?

4) And I also worry that it may sound selfish, I am considering this because I have more free time now since I am done with school (and my boyfriend dumped me) and I want to have something meaningfull to do and that I can focus my energy. I want to put my time into something positive.

I know I will one day, but not yet. The time and how my life is now is just not ideal for joining. And this is something I have considered and I know there probably isnt a perfect time for anything, but at the moment.... it is not right for me.

Kristina12, you're right, you do not need to be LDS to participate in Relief Society.

1. If you know someone who is LDS, tell them what you would like to do. They will be able to help you find the right person to contact. If you don't know anyone who is LDS in your area, you will need to find the phone number for the local bishop or missionaries. I believe LDS.org has a listing for local congregations.

2. There is no set amount of time that is required.

3. Let them know up front what you are interested in. If you don't want to visit with the missionaries yet, tell them.

4. I am a member of Relief Society. Let me explain a little how Relief Society works. Relief Society is an organization within the LDS church that is for the women. Typically there is a Relief Society meeting on Sunday that is in conjunction with several other church meetings that are called Sacrament Meeting and Sunday School. The RS Sunday meeting is where the women meet to hear uplifting spiritual lessons to help them better themselves spiritually. Once a month there is usually another meeting where specific topics may be discussed to help the women with their families and themselves. Some of the topics we have discussed in my Relief Society monthly meetings the last little while have been on literacy, health issues, emergency preparedness, gardening, etc. During some of those meetings we have also had the opportunity to do humanitarian aid. We have made quilts and hygiene kits for earthquake victims, layettes for impoverished new mothers, collected and donated clothing to a woman's shelter, and other miscellaneous projects.

The Relief Society also helps those in need within our own congregation. When we know of a family that needs assistance, the Relief Society President along with the Bishop will assess the needs of the family and then we will do what we can to help, such as bring in meals, assist with cleaning a home, etc. It is all voluntary. When a special need is needed, then a list is usually sent around in our Relief Society meeting for us to sign up.

Please feel free to ask any more questions.