Potential convert with less-than-enthused husband.

Guest hmccrea

Guest Mom04

Not sure where to begin...(and this got really long, so thank you in advance to those willing to read it!)

I'm a non-member. No lds family anywhere, I come from a small dysfunctional, geographically separated family, and had little to no religious upbringing at all - we were Easter & Christmas protestants - except for a random 3rd grade year I spent as the "non-catholic" at catholic school.

6+ months ago I was compelled (to get out of bed in the middle of the night) by the "still small voice" in my head to read my copy of the BOM that has been in my possession for almost 2 decades. This kicked off an outright religious obsession for me. Aftering reading it, I moved on to Pearl of Great Price, some of D&C and finally read the whole New Testament. OT is on my reading list, and I've devoured everything I can find on Mormonism.

I've also been to the local ward, gotten my 4 children involved in mutual night, connected with some of my LDS neighbors, and had the missionaries out. All of this has been very uplifting for me and the children (age 8-13) really seem to enjoy it.

My husband has been another matter. He was raised Protestant, but his father didn't attend church, so as an adult he has little to NO interest in church. He believes in Darwinism and science and thinks unexplainable spiritual stuff is "hokum". The missionaries coming to the house made him extremely uncomfortable! When they asked about baptism he was DONE. Although he did thoughtfully watch several hours of general conference with me last weekend.

He is okay with finding a Protestant church for our family, an effort to submit to his leadership in the family, I agreed that if he had a conviction about a specific church I would follow him. It has been 6+ months, and with MY research and planning, we have "shopped" the local methodist, Lutheran, baptist, presbyterian and even catholic churches... And while they could be comfortable church homes for us, they are completely uncompelling.

That being said, my husband is adamant against considering Mormonism, although he's been to 2 meetings with me to placate me. He doesn't know much about the faith, but what he does know is enough to turn him off (coffee, tea, and "magic underwear" are his line in the sand). When I try to talk to him about it, he acts like I am trying to sell him a used car. No matter how many times I try to explain that no one is going to drag him against his will into the baptismal font, or force garments on him, he just won't hear it. He shuts down completely about on the topic of LDS, but he also simply can't or won't LEAD our family to choose another church.

He says he's afraid that "the lds cult is trying to recruit me"... I had to explain to him that *I* sought them out because of what's going on with me - it's an internal force, not an external one that is drawing me to the church.

He is skeptical, and mistrustful of organized religion. I understand that, I am too! He is also a wonderful, generous, honest, upstanding man with an internal moral compass far superior to my own and I love him with all my heart! He has graciously allowed me to be a stay at home mom and supports me and my 4 children (all from a previous marriage with a deadbeat dad). I couldn't ask for a better husband. He strongly believes in the principles of self-reliance and provident living and I think he would find a lot of support and like minded friends in the church - if he would give it a chance.

But honestly, I'm not trying to convert him. I've told him over and over that "this is not about him, I'm not trying to change him, this is about me, and more importantly, about THE CHILDREN". At this point I would just like to garner his support for me taking the children to the LDS church. I even bought him a very nice new Protestant bible for Easter, hoping he would see that I do respect his beliefs -

So yesterday, Easter Sunday, I was thinking about taking the children to the lds church... But late Saturday night, I found out that it was going to be a "fast Sunday" - and our family tradition includes waking up early for and egg hunt, a big breakfast, and lots of candy. I couldn't see how taking a bunch of sugared up kids to a fast Sunday would be a good idea. I also worried that "open mike sunday" might not live up to my husbands expectations of an Easter service... So I announced that we would not go there and I put it in my husband's hands to take us to the church of HIS choice. He made no effort take charge, so we ended up not going anywhere at all.

I told him I cannot follow him where he will not lead.

He is very worried that if I join the church it is going to "mess up" our happy marriage of 5 years.

For myself, I am in my 40s and not in a hurry to change my whole life - for lent I gave up coffee and alcohol to see how hard would be and it was definitely doable... But for my children... They are growing up quickly and are being so heavily influenced by the secular world that I feel they need God, and the positive influence of kids with an understanding of right and wrong.... I feel pretty unqualified to teach on such matters.

I don't want to lose my husband by unilaterally changing the status quo for our relationship. I want him to be supportive of my new found interest in God and Jesus, but it's uncomfortable for both of us, and I'm scared that if I proceed without his approval he will eventually leave me.

But I also don't want to stand idly by and watch my children lose their innocence much too soon... and become hapless victims of the harsh, godless world I grew up in.

I have prayed and prayed on this... I have told DH that we (the children and I) are going to the Mormon church next weekend. He doesn't argue about it , and I know he wouldn't forbid anything I wanted to do, but he does get quiet and moody when I make such "threats". I also fear that if I persist and get baptized, that I may end up involved with church activities and callings that might make him feel left out and resentful.

I guess what I'm wondering is ... Can this be done? Are there other new convert part-member families out there in similar situations who have made it work? Or is this a recipe for disaster? How do I choose between doing what I believe is right for my kids? And submitting to my husband, who I love and respect?

I'm just so confused.

Let me ask this to get kind of an idea of things. Does he have objections to you and your children going to the LDS meetings completely or just kind of non-commital?

I found out last Church Conference that Elder Bednar one of the 12 apostles was raised in an part LDS home.The Powers of Heaven - general-conference. Read the part entitled A Lesson from My Father.

Your husband sounds like a good man who fears he's losing his family. I would be loving and patient. There are many on here that have part member families that could probably give better advice. Best Wishes

Guest Mom04

Let me ask this to get kind of an idea of things. Does he have objections to you and your children going to the LDS meetings completely or just kind of non-commital?

He's non-committal about choosing a Protestant religion... I think he would prefer no church at all. But I'm getting mixed messages from him.

I don't think he would ever go to any church alone, but I also don't think he wants us going without him.

After Christmas I was taking the kids to mutual night, while he was still at work- Im always driving them to some evening activity, and he often works until 8 or 9. When we would come home, the kids happy and enthusiastic, he would ask where we were and then get sulky about it as if I were sneaking around behind his back. He feels that this is a threat to him somehow. So I backed off of that for a while, but now the kids are confused.

He also said he wouldn't like it of the kids were baptized lds and he wasn't. But is not willing to compromise his integrity and be baptized into a religion that would deny him coffee... Which he adamantly defends his right to enjoy.

Then week & 1/2 ago, he announced that the 13 year old needed a "Mormon intervention", and we then watched 2 days of general conference. He actually seemed to enjoy it! But then I got excited and asked him how we should go about the intervention, he said he was kidding.

Not sure where to begin...(and this got really long, so thank you in advance to those willing to read it!)

I'm a non-member. No lds family anywhere, I come from a small dysfunctional, geographically separated family, and had little to no religious upbringing at all - we were Easter & Christmas protestants - except for a random 3rd grade year I spent as the "non-catholic" at catholic school.

6+ months ago I was compelled (to get out of bed in the middle of the night) by the "still small voice" in my head to read my copy of the BOM that has been in my possession for almost 2 decades. This kicked off an outright religious obsession for me. Aftering reading it, I moved on to Pearl of Great Price, some of D&C and finally read the whole New Testament. OT is on my reading list, and I've devoured everything I can find on Mormonism.

I've also been to the local ward, gotten my 4 children involved in mutual night, connected with some of my LDS neighbors, and had the missionaries out. All of this has been very uplifting for me and the children (age 8-13) really seem to enjoy it.

My husband has been another matter. He was raised Protestant, but his father didn't attend church, so as an adult he has little to NO interest in church. He believes in Darwinism and science and thinks unexplainable spiritual stuff is "hokum". The missionaries coming to the house made him extremely uncomfortable! When they asked about baptism he was DONE. Although he did thoughtfully watch several hours of general conference with me last weekend.

He is okay with finding a Protestant church for our family, an effort to submit to his leadership in the family, I agreed that if he had a conviction about a specific church I would follow him. It has been 6+ months, and with MY research and planning, we have "shopped" the local methodist, Lutheran, baptist, presbyterian and even catholic churches... And while they could be comfortable church homes for us, they are completely uncompelling.

That being said, my husband is adamant against considering Mormonism, although he's been to 2 meetings with me to placate me. He doesn't know much about the faith, but what he does know is enough to turn him off (coffee, tea, and "magic underwear" are his line in the sand). When I try to talk to him about it, he acts like I am trying to sell him a used car. No matter how many times I try to explain that no one is going to drag him against his will into the baptismal font, or force garments on him, he just won't hear it. He shuts down completely about on the topic of LDS, but he also simply can't or won't LEAD our family to choose another church.

He says he's afraid that "the lds cult is trying to recruit me"... I had to explain to him that *I* sought them out because of what's going on with me - it's an internal force, not an external one that is drawing me to the church.

He is skeptical, and mistrustful of organized religion. I understand that, I am too! He is also a wonderful, generous, honest, upstanding man with an internal moral compass far superior to my own and I love him with all my heart! He has graciously allowed me to be a stay at home mom and supports me and my 4 children (all from a previous marriage with a deadbeat dad). I couldn't ask for a better husband. He strongly believes in the principles of self-reliance and provident living and I think he would find a lot of support and like minded friends in the church - if he would give it a chance.

But honestly, I'm not trying to convert him. I've told him over and over that "this is not about him, I'm not trying to change him, this is about me, and more importantly, about THE CHILDREN". At this point I would just like to garner his support for me taking the children to the LDS church. I even bought him a very nice new Protestant bible for Easter, hoping he would see that I do respect his beliefs -

So yesterday, Easter Sunday, I was thinking about taking the children to the lds church... But late Saturday night, I found out that it was going to be a "fast Sunday" - and our family tradition includes waking up early for and egg hunt, a big breakfast, and lots of candy. I couldn't see how taking a bunch of sugared up kids to a fast Sunday would be a good idea. I also worried that "open mike sunday" might not live up to my husbands expectations of an Easter service... So I announced that we would not go there and I put it in my husband's hands to take us to the church of HIS choice. He made no effort take charge, so we ended up not going anywhere at all.

He is very worried that if I join the church it is going to "mess up" our happy marriage of 5 years.

For myself, I am in my 40s and not in a hurry to change my whole life - for lent I gave up coffee and alcohol to see how hard would be and it was definitely doable... But for my children... They are growing up quickly and are being so heavily influenced by the secular world that I feel they need God, and the positive influence of kids with an understanding of right and wrong.... I feel pretty unqualified to teach on such matters.

I don't want to lose my husband by unilaterally changing the status quo for our relationship. I want him to be supportive of my new found interest in God and Jesus, but it's uncomfortable for both of us, and I'm scared that if I proceed without his approval he will eventually leave me.

But I also don't want to stand idly by and watch my children lose their innocence much too soon... and become hapless victims of the harsh, godless world I grew up in.

I have prayed and prayed on this... I have told DH that we (the children and I) are going to the Mormon church next weekend. He doesn't argue about it , and I know he wouldn't forbid anything I wanted to do, but he does get quiet and moody when I make such "threats". I also fear that if I persist and get baptized, that I may end up involved with church activities and callings that might make him feel left out and resentful.

I guess what I'm wondering is ... Can this be done? Are there other new convert part-member families out there in similar situations who have made it work? Or is this a recipe for disaster? How do I choose between doing what I believe is right for my kids? And submitting to my husband, who I love and respect?

I'm just so confused.

Here's a conversation I'm imagining:

YOU: DH, we're going to the Mormon meeting now.

DH: {silent}

YOU: Do you want to come with us?

DH: No.

YOU: ...are you sure?

DH: Quit trying to recruit me! You're turning in to one of Them!

I'm hoping it's never like that, but that's what I'm imagining. Here's another version I'm imagining.

YOU: You know I love you, DH. You're everything I want in a husband. But this is important to me. I need to investigate it. I'd like it better if you were there with me, but if you don't want to come I won't push it.

DH: I don't like going to those meetings. They seem like a bunch of brainwashed cultists to me.

YOU: That's fine. I don't expect you to come on my account. But the people seem very friendly to me. I like the meetings. The kids like their classes for children. You don't have to come, but I don't think these are brainwashed zombies. They're just friendly people worshiping God together.

DH: Mom04, LOOK at them! They wear MAGIC UNDERWEAR, for cripe's sake!

YOU: Sweetie, they don't wear magic underwear. They make sacred, private promises to God and they wear special private underclothing to remind them of those promises. There's nothing "magical" about it.

DH: How about not drinking coffee and tea? That's just weird.

YOU: That's fine. I don't expect you to stop drinking coffee and tea, sweetheart. But if I decided I wanted to be a vegetarian, you probably wouldn't think it was all that weird. Coffee and tea is a much smaller step.

DH: I think it's weird, and I don't want to have anything to do with those cultists.

YOU: I understand. And I love you just the same. But I have a different view of them. I like them. I think they're nice, and I want to understand them better.

I don't think any loving spouse could object too much to that line of reasoning. But all of my fantasy conversations won't buy you a cup of hot chocolate to split with him. Best of luck. God bless you in your efforts.

Has he ever been in the building? Ask him if he'd like to see the inside of the building on a non-Sunday, and when there wouldn't be anybody else. (I'd avoid Sunday, Tuesday & Wednesday nights.)

Then he can see the altar for animal sacrifices, the tools used for hypnotizing everyone into submission and how we have basketball hoops in the middle of the building!! (Okay, only 1 out of 3 is true... bet you can't guess which one!) :P

Why should he want to go to the building? As the patriarch of the home, he should want to know what kind of people his kids are being introduced to. Talk about the pictures on the wall. Show him each of the rooms. Show the Relief Society room and primary rooms. Show where the early morning seminary students meet. Show the chapel and where the bread and water are prepared. Notice how simplistic our meetinghouses are. They are designed to be used, not as a museum.

Don't make it about 'him'. Make it about his being involved and informed about the well-being of his children.

Guest Mom04

Here's a conversation I'm imagining:

YOU: Do you want to come with us?

DH: No.

YOU: ...are you sure?

DH: Quit trying to recruit me! You're turning in to one of Them!

I'm hoping it's never like that, but that's what I'm imagining. Here's another version I'm imagining.

YOU: You know I love you, DH. You're everything I want in a husband. But this is important to me. I need to investigate it. I'd like it better if you were there with me, but if you don't want to come I won't push it.

DH: I don't like going to those meetings. They seem like a bunch of brainwashed cultists to me.

YOU: That's fine. I don't expect you to come on my account. But the people seem very friendly to me. I like the meetings. The kids like their classes for children. You don't have to come, but I don't think these are brainwashed zombies. They're just friendly people worshiping God together.

DH: Mom04, LOOK at them! They wear MAGIC UNDERWEAR, for cripe's sake!

YOU: Sweetie, they don't wear magic underwear. They make sacred, private promises to God and they wear special private underclothing to remind them of those promises. There's nothing "magical" about it.

DH: How about not drinking coffee and tea? That's just weird.

YOU: That's fine. I don't expect you to stop drinking coffee and tea, sweetheart. But if I decided I wanted to be a vegetarian, you probably wouldn't think it was all that weird. Coffee and tea is a much smaller step.

DH: I think it's weird, and I don't want to have anything to do with those cultists.

YOU: I understand. And I love you just the same. But I have a different view of them. I like them. I think they're nice, and I want to understand them better.

I don't think any loving spouse could object too much to that line of reasoning. But all of my fantasy conversations won't buy you a cup of hot chocolate to split with him. Best of luck. God bless you in your efforts.

Lol! I'm happy to say he's not nearly that harsh. But he's also not that talkative ... I always have to remind him that the conversation in his head needs to happen out loud if he wants me to participate. :)

I also worried that "open mike sunday"

:lol: You may not have meant that to be funny, but I am still laughing. That is what it feels like to me, as well.

I am interested in the responses you get. I am a widowed mother with a grown son. I have tried to talk to him about the Church in a non-threatening manner. He's met a number of people from church, likes the way Mormons live, but yeah, the beer thing gets to him. He likes the idea of the priesthood, though, so there's hope...

It sounds like he might think you will leave him for the church. I think you communicate your love for the church, but it the same sentence, communicate your love for him. Let him know that you feel that going to the LDS Church will help you to become a better woman, mother, and especially wife.

If you do decide to get baptized, you probably shouldn't go behind his back, that would probably be pretty detrimental to the marriage.

Keep going to church, keep studying, allow the Church and the Doctrine to change your life for the better. When one person changes in a marriage the nature of the relationship will change as well.

Here's my thought:

why do you need to be baptized in the church right away?

What if you and your kids start attending on a regular basis, and try to live the Mormon lifestyle (in other words continue reading scripture, living word of wisdom, and perhaps even approaching the bishop and asking for more involvement in ward than the typical investigator).

Avoids potential disagreement on baptism with husband, gets you involved in the church, and lets him observe gradually and maybe grow more accepting.

He's non-committal about choosing a Protestant religion... I think he would prefer no church at all. But I'm getting mixed messages from him.

I don't think he would ever go to any church alone, but I also don't think he wants us going without him.

After Christmas I was taking the kids to mutual night, while he was still at work- Im always driving them to some evening activity, and he often works until 8 or 9. When we would come home, the kids happy and enthusiastic, he would ask where we were and then get sulky about it as if I were sneaking around behind his back. He feels that this is a threat to him somehow. So I backed off of that for a while, but now the kids are confused.

He also said he wouldn't like it of the kids were baptized lds and he wasn't. But is not willing to compromise his integrity and be baptized into a religion that would deny him coffee... Which he adamantly defends his right to enjoy.

Then week & 1/2 ago, he announced that the 13 year old needed a "Mormon intervention", and we then watched 2 days of general conference. He actually seemed to enjoy it! But then I got excited and asked him how we should go about the intervention, he said he was kidding.

And as a follow up, I delayed my baptism for at least 2 months because I didn't like the prohibition on coffee, because it made no sense to me. I actually said it didn't make sense at a meeting with the missionaries where the bishop attended (and my timing was indeed deliberate - I wanted to see exactly how much commotion I would create). Well the missionaries and several others are pawing dramatically through their quads, and someone else is looking for a study that documented health benefits, and the bishop stopped all discussion and said that doesn't matter...that is such a small part of the church. (Not sure if he'd want me quoting him around the ward).

It was several months after baptism that the coffee issue suddenly made sense, and I mostly don't miss it.

And as a follow up, I delayed my baptism for at least 2 months because I didn't like the prohibition on coffee, because it made no sense to me. I actually said it didn't make sense at a meeting with the missionaries where the bishop attended (and my timing was indeed deliberate - I wanted to see exactly how much commotion I would create). Well the missionaries and several others are pawing dramatically through their quads, and someone else is looking for a study that documented health benefits, and the bishop stopped all discussion and said that doesn't matter...that is such a small part of the church. (Not sure if he'd want me quoting him around the ward).

It was several months after baptism that the coffee issue suddenly made sense, and I mostly don't miss it.

Great story. Since probably my teenage years, I have felt that the Word of Wisdom is used far too often as a shibboleth of faith. (And for the record, in my family we never smoked, drank coffee or alcohol -- except in some cough medicines of the time -- and generally never drank anything stronger than an occasional Mountain Dew, so I am not saying this for any personal justification.)

Having said that, the fact is that the Word of Wisdom is taught and is emphasized, so we should take it seriously. If I think we sometimes place undo emphasis on it, I also think it's a principle of living fitted to the weak and even the weakest of all who can be called Saints.

[/threadjack]

I'm just so confused.

So I am an adult convert. My hubby was a Baptist when we got engaged. I do have a couple of points of advice for this situation. First, ignorance breeds contempt...it is not the Mormon church, it id the church of Jesus Christ, start calling it that. Study about Christ if you study as a group. I suspect you missed out on a very Christ centered Easter Sunday, with Easter hymns that your hubby would have recognized. 70% of our hymn book is written by members of protestant religions. second, focus on the similarities to what he is familiar with. Third, remember to shine a light...the gospel of Jesus Christ is joyful, let him see in your face the joy you feel. Most of the couples in my ward are converts with one spouse joining and the other lading behind for a bit...actually both counselors in the bishopric joined years after their wives did, my guy for one.

With God all things are possible, but you have to do it God's way.

And btw, you must only follow your husband if he is leading you toward the Lord, HE would not want you too follow anyone away from Him. Living the word of the Lord will make you a better and happier wife and mother.