Word on the Street

jayneXD

Hi, I'm Jayne and I was wondering if their are individuals out their who would like to answer a few of my questions below. It's for a school assignment where we get to conduct interviews (indirect or direct) with someone who is part of a different religion or movement from the interviewer and do a small presentation about it.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints seems to be the only one that stood out from the rest (my classmates seem to lean toward interviewing Hindus, Muslims and Catholics)and no one in my class seems to not know what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints besides me and my teacher.

So, feel free to write as much as possible and you don't need to include your name if you don't want to.

Also, I was wondering if you can keep the questions related to politics discrete, that is names and such that would violate the rules. thanks :P

Questions:

1. Can you tell us a bit about yourself such as your age, ethnicity and education?

2. Where were you born? Can you describe where you grow up and what was it like

there?

3. What is your religion?

4. Were you born into this religion or did you come about it later on in life? If so, what

made you choose or stay in the religion you are in?

5. Do you practice your religion on a daily basis?

6. Can you tell us key ideas from your religion?

7. What are your views on your religion? How strong are your beliefs? Are you strict

with your religion?

8. Do you believe it to be the only religion worth following?

9. Is your religion open to other religions; is it similar to other religions?

10. How do other religions view you or your religion?

11. Does your religion affect your personal life? Interaction with others? If so how?

12. What do you find most rewarding about your religion?

13. Have you ever questioned your faith?

14. What are your views on modern society?

15. What are views on politics in general?

16. Would you consider yourself conservative, liberal or centrist?

17. What are your views on Canadian politics? How about international politics?

18. How do you feel about religion (in general) being used in politics or religion used in

politics?

19. Does your religious beliefs and practices influence your political views? How and

why?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints seems to be the only one that stood out from the rest (my classmates seem to lean toward interviewing Hindus, Muslims and Catholics)and no one in my class seems to not know what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints besides me and my teacher.

First of all, if you are going to do research about it let me point out that the name of our church is very specific in how it should be written. So just a minor correction.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. :)

1. Can you tell us a bit about yourself such as your age, ethnicity and education?

48, caucasian, Master of Divinity.

2. Where were you born? Can you describe where you grow up and what was it like there?

Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, but raised in Seattle, WA. The Seattle Public Schools were among the first to do away with religious holiday vacations (Christmas vacation became Winter Break, etc.). On the other hand, we were the first to have Martin Luther King day as a vacation. Seattle is socially progressive and pretty irreligious. So, I grew up with no other evangelical Christian friends, though I had a few that were Jehovah's Witnesses. Interestingly, I did not know any LDS folk either.

Assemblies of God (Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada is the same).

4. Were you born into this religion or did you come about it later on in life? If so, what made you choose or stay in the religion you are in?

I was invited to Sunday School at age 10, and was a "bus kid." My brother went, though he did not take to it. At 15 he quit, so I was the only one in my family. Thus, while I had faith at a young age, it was my own, not a family heritage.

I pray daily, usually read scriptures, try to make decisions based upon the morals of my faith, and always am aware that God is with me.

My church is pentecostal, meaning that we believe the practices of the New Testament church, including speaking and praying in tongues, interpretations of tongues, prophecies, divine healing, exorcisms, and miraculous provisions are normative for the church for all times. Additionally, we try to live in the presence of God. We expect God to direct our thoughts, and really believe he can impress us with what to do or what not to do. So, when someone says, "I felt God telling me to move to such and such a city," we are not immediately skeptical.

7. What are your views on your religion? How strong are your beliefs? Are you strict with your religion?

I believe it is true, and consider myself a rigorous, if imperfect practioner.

God may use other religions to prepare someone for communion with him, but ultimate reconciliation with God must come through Jesus. He made that claim for himself in John 14:6. Nevertheless, I am willing to consider people of other faiths as God seekers, and do not automatically see them as theological adversaries.

Not so much. Again, we believe reconciliation with God (forgiveness of sins) comes only through Jesus.

Like the LDS folks, my religion was initially viewed as cultish. Some even considered it demonic. Our pioneers were often pelted with rotten fruit, and some of the early ministers were tarred and feathered. Some were imprisoned for "practicing medicine without a license," because they prayed for the sick.

Today, my church is the largest denomination within the National Association of Evangelicals, and most churches, even non-pentecostal ones, seem to accept that God can still heal, and that tongues and other spiritual gifts are biblical. They often think we over-emphasize them, though.

11. Does your religion affect your personal life? Interaction with others? If so how?

Well, sure...I am a chaplain. I believe I have more confidence and positiveness because of my faith, so I am a better person to be around.

Knowing that God is with me, loves me, and that life has eternal purpose.

From time to time I'll examine uncertainties. On the other hand, because my faith was something I embraced on my own, rather than receiving "second-hand," from parents and family, I have always had a certain confidence about it, and never experienced the piercing "dark night of the soul" that so many have.

The world seems to be degenerating. Morals are getting more muddled. There is less social consensus on what is right and wrong. Religious people are increasingly perceived negatively--as judgmental, rather than as holding to high standards.

As an American, I am embarrassed by our debt, and I am embarrassed by our lack of civic morality. It concerns me that we are increasingly seen as trouble makers and bullies. It used to be that people loved us and hated us for our success and bravado. There is an increasing sense that our success is running dry. I hope it turns around.

I'm moderately conservative, though I personally believe that local government should be strongly supported through taxes, levies, etc. We need good fire, police, hospitals, and schools, etc.

If I were Canadian, I'd like be a Conservative. I would have been thrilled when the President was elected and dared to say, "God bless Canada." When the media responded with vitriol, I would have been even prouder of him.

Internationally, my religion drives me to want to defend Israel. That stance cannot win us friends in the Middle East. What can we do? We should not betray our friends. On the other hand, we should generally become stronger, but also more cautious about using our strength. The impression of strength will do us more good than over-extending ourselves by engaging in other country's internal affairs to such an extent that we appear too stretched out, and not so strong, after all.

18. How do you feel about religion (in general) being used in politics or religion used in politics?

The United States has a strong Christian heritage, even if we are secular and pluralalistic, at the government level. My sense is that politicians use and abuse the religious community, but I am still pleased that most of us want politicians who will publically support Christian values and morality. So, I am not naive to the reality that many "Christian" politicians are "playing" us. Nevertheless, I see our input as more positive than negative.

19. Does your religious beliefs and practices influence your political views? How and why?

Mostly it motivates me to oppose abortion and to encourage private and religious charities, through government partnerships, and through non-interference. For example, New York public schools no longer rent to churches on the weekends, in the name of separation of church and state. If find that absurd.

Edited by prisonchaplain

Questions:

Education- Degrees in business administration, cellular molecular biology, and now currently in medical school

there?

Seattle. Rainy in the Spring/Fall/Winder, sunny in the summer.

LDS

4. Were you born into this religion or did you come about it later on in life? If so, what

I joined about 3 years ago.

No

We're the children of God, we chose to come here, and we will return to Him when we're done here.

7. What are your views on your religion? How strong are your beliefs? Are you strict

with your religion?

My views aren't for general consumption here in the forums- if you care, PM me and I can elucidate them further. Sufficed to say I am not strict in all of the doctrinal teachings while at the same time I strongly believe the core tenants of the faith.

"worth following" is a qualitative term i'm unwilling to apply- if you're asking if I feel that the teachings are more valid than those preached in other faiths- that's a different question.

We call ourselves Christians, although not all Christians agree with us that we are. Having been methodist and presbyterian before becoming LDS... there are similarities and there are differences. Being a lay ministry, some sermans are quite excellent while others are somewhat dubious in their message consisting more of personal thoughts rather than concrete doctrine or gospel teachings.

You should ask them, although they would assert that we are not Christians and are perhaps actually a cult of some sort.

It makes me feel guilty for drinking espresso in the morning, although since the prohibition is on hot drinks (later clarified to mean coffee), i'm skirting the prohibition based on a naming technicality. Interaction with others- not really

All the time.

It has problems, although "modern" society in any era has always had problems- we just tend to forget about the problems as time marches on.

Libertarian/Fiscal Conservative

Centrist

Canadians? What are those?

18. How do you feel about religion (in general) being used in politics or religion used in

politics?

Strongly dislike it.

19. Does your religious beliefs and practices influence your political views? How and

why?

No.

Questions:

52, Caucasian, MA in Teaching/History

2. Where were you born? Can you describe where you grow up and what was it like there?

Washington state. Grew up in Western Montana. Mountainous, small towns, lots of wilderness.

Mormon

I became a Mormon at age 16. Friends introduced me to the church, and spiritual experiences brought me and kept me in.

Yes

See the Articles of Faith. Mainly, we believe in the Resurrection and Atonement of Jesus Christ, modern revelation, and living prophets.

7. What are your views on your religion? How strong are your beliefs? Are you strict with your religion?

I believe my religion to have some of the greatest revealed truths today. I strongly believe in its core teachings. I strongly adhere to the commandments, etc.

I believe it to be the best religion worth following. There is much truth and goodness in other faiths, and I often learn wonderful things from studying their beliefs, as well.

Mormonism believes that there are many people who have been inspired to bring light and truth to the nations, including Christian Reformers, Buddha, Mohammed, etc. We are similar in most ways to other Christian religions, but believe in continuing revelation.

Many view us as good people, but non-Christian, because we have some tenets that are different than traditional Christianity.

Yes. I seek to exemplify a good Christian life, and hope that it will help others return to faith in Christ.

Hope of a glorious resurrection through Christ, and being with God and my family throughout the eternities.

I have often questioned some teachings or practices. However, I strongly adhere to the core doctrines.

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

I think there are too much politics and government.

I am a Libertarian. I believe we should eliminate most of the federal government, thus increasing freedom everywhere.

Isn't Canada just a suburb of the United States? I believe in the concepts set forth by George Washington: no meddling in others' affairs unless there is a clear impact on the USA itself. We should strive to be friends to all nations, and be a city on a hill for others to aspire to, not be forced to follow. Also, no lasting alliances, as balance of power attempts tend to lead to wars.

18. How do you feel about religion (in general) being used in politics or religion used in politics?

I believe as did JFK that politics must be fair and equal to all people. History shows that religions that control governments have a tendency to have both corrupted in the end. Should religion influence politics? To some extent there is no avoiding it, and it may help establish a moral base for the nation. But beyond a moral base, religion should not be involved heavily in politics. At the same time, government has no business messing with religion, either.

19. Does your religious beliefs and practices influence your political views? How and why?

Yes. I look at how a politician is going to support morality in the nation. Religion can help establish a moral base. Many nations without any moral code end up like Somalia - in utter violence and chaos. That said, a person should not be a one-issue voter (abortion, homosexuality, etc). I try to see who will offer the greatest freedom, so that individuals may choose for themselves and be responsible for their own choices. Perhaps the worst thing a government/politician can do is pamper the people so much that they no longer can think nor care for themselves. Morality demands that people have freedom to succeed or fail, and government should only be there to prevent one person or nation from impeding upon the freedom of another.

Hi, I'm Jayne and I was wondering if their are individuals out their who would like to answer a few of my questions below. It's for a school assignment where we get to conduct interviews (indirect or direct) with someone who is part of a different religion or movement from the interviewer and do a small presentation about it.

So, feel free to write as much as possible and you don't need to include your name if you don't want to.

Also, I was wondering if you can keep the questions related to politics discrete, that is names and such that would violate the rules. thanks :P

Questions:

age = 30 yrs

education= currently college

I'm from Norwegian, finnish, and scottish ancestry.

St.George Utah

Back when it was a 1 light town and pretty much the boonies. Lots of open sagebrush desert and pretty empty then. Now everything has been cleared out and homes coommercial buildings cover everything.

I follow Christ, specifically as taught by the Church of jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as mormons)

4. Were you born into this religion or did you come about it later on in life? If so, what made you choose or stay in the religion you are in?

I try. but many times fail.

1. God's Love, and that were his children.

2. Because of that, we are born into this world, and he sent Christ to bring us back to his presence, and can become like him.

3. Because of Christ's death and resurrection did we can repent of the things that would keep us from God by following Christ.

4. To help us do that, they call people to speak in their name and gve them the authority to act on their behalf, we know these individuals as prophets and apostles. They Say, do, and write the things god wills to bring people unto them.

5. Because over time people reject the gospel or fall away, it can be corrupted or lost. we call this apostacy. Because of apostacy God called a prophet to restore which had been lost since the last time He had called prophets upon the earth. This person was Joseph Smith, though him God restored his authority on the earth, as well as brought forth another record of prophets that had existed on the american continent anciently, we know this record as the Book of Mormon. This serves a couple purposes, it is a second witness in addition to the Bible of Jesus Christ and his atonement, as well as it ahs more of God's words and help for us in these days.

6. Joseph Smith was commanded to call other apostles, and ever since then we have had a Prophet leading the church.

A. It's crazy, but i've had prayers answered that has kept me pointed to it.

B. The strength of my belief is fairly decent. Needs to be better tho.

C. Not as strict as i would wish to be.

Christ said there is only one. The only God that ever answered my prayers was the God of Abraham, and they let me know that they exist, that Christ did atone for us, and that Joseph Smith was their servant, and that they brought forth the Book of mormon. So yes if one's desire is to find God, his peace, and to attain all the blessings that he has for them then yes it is the one.

If you mean open as in we believe that other religions have the authority to speak for God and act in his name? no.

Do we allow others from other faiths to attend our worship services? absolutely

Do work with other faiths? yes

Do we believe other faiths can do good and help bring people to believe in christ? yes

The majority will probably be along the lines of about any sort of negative label there is, we have been branded with.

--------I'll have to continue the rest at a later date; outta time.-----

Male, 37, some college, no degree

there?

Riverton Wyoming. Small town, and very nice. Just quiet enough to help families stay strong. Very community oriented.

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormon.

Born and raised in the religion.

Yes, most of the time.

The Atonement of Jesus Christ, The Savior of all mankind, accountability for decisions/actions, ongoing revelation from God to Man, at least these are the key ideas to me.

with your religion?

It is the one true Church of Jesus Christ, though not the only church that teaches the truth about Jesus Christ. I have studied other Christian religions as well as world religions like hinduism and such. I still find the most answers and peace in my life through the LDS church, its doctrines, and its standards. I'm not as strict as I'd like to be in some areas, but then, that's why living a religion is a lifetime activity.

That's an interesting question. From the perspective of this life my answer would have to be no. It seems to me any peaceful religion seeks to improve the lives of its followers, and that, to me, is a worthy activity worldwide, all peaceful religions included. However, there is much more to our existence than just this life.

From the perspective of eternity and/or life after we die, my answer would have to be yes. I believe the LDS church is the only religion on earth able to lead God's children back to his presence; to realize their inheritance as joint-heirs with Jesus Christ as promised in the New Testament.

It has always been open to truth, wherever it may come from on this earth. Ultimately the source of all truth is God the Father and we seek as much knowlege about him as possible.

Having said that , many, if not all, religions posess great amounts of truth. We are eager to build common ground wherever we can, but we cannot deny or ignore the truths that are unique to us.

it varies from respectful disagreement (most common) to the very rare open hostility. Overall I think we have a positive image due in large part to the members striving to live as we are taught; to be good neighbors, be helpful, and be Christlike in our dealings with people around us.

absolutely. In my view, if my religion doesn't compel me to make real changes in my life, if it doesn't challenge me to be better every day, what use is it?

The real and lasting joy found in serving others freely. I feel so much better having helped someone in need than if I had chosen to ignore them. Especially if my day starts out on a rough note.

All the time. It's the only real way to figure out if it's true or not. I never really started questioning it until college, but the answers I got from those days have not only been repeated to me, but have been supported by other answers I've recieved since then.

There's the potential in the world for an amazing reality if we'd just learn to eliminate selfishness and greed from our personal lives. There are a lot of other problems out there, but what a change we'd have if only those two were gone.

A necessary situation, yet one which the particpants seem to prefer rolling around in, rather than controlling or improving. Politicians have always been politicians, but it's rare that one seek to improve the situation.

Conservative

If it's anything like US politics, a great change is needed in both situations.

politics?

I think it is key that politicians be religious, but religion doesn't belong in politics necessarily.

why?

Somewhat, but not completely. The biggest area they share in common is that of the principle of Justice as a real element in the human experience. God is eternally Just, or fair. The world at large understands the principle, but I don't see it being utilized or upheld as much as it could be. The political side of this is one of the greater debates going on right now.

Questions:

27, while female. Bachelor's degree.

there?

Northern Utah, smallish town. Rather close-knit.

LDS

I was born into an LDS family. I stick with it because it works for me. I admittedly don't care about a lot of what I consider to be minor details in history and doctrine, but I believe the basic core doctrine to be true.

I think so. I pray and try to read my scriptures daily, and I try to treat everyone well.

It's quite a lot like Christianity. I do consider us to be Christian, at least in the "we believe Christ suffered for our sins" sense. We reject the idea of Trinity, we believe revelation did not end, we believe in an existence before birth, and we do not believe in original sin.

with your religion?

I think my beliefs in the core doctrine are very strong. I believe in God and accept Christ as my Savior and that I can live with them again. I believe in the validity of the scriptures. I enjoy temple work. I love praying. Again, I don't worry about history or strange ideas coming out of the mouth of every single general authority who is not speaking as a prophet. Honestly, I'm kind of against organized religion except for the one I happen to be in.

Honestly, no. I believe it's the most complete religion, but I also don't think all non-Mormons are going to burn in hell. I admire many other religions. I am thrilled when others join my religion, but I also figure if they're happy in their other spiritual beliefs and not bothering mine, great!

I believe the religion is, though there are a few wackos in it that are against everyone else. I think it is quite Christianish. After taking a few courses in comparative religions, I was shocked to see how similar it was, in my opinion, to Islam and Sikhism. If you ask my husband about this, he believes any belief from any religion can find a similarity of sorts in ours. There might be exceptions to that idea, but I get the concept.

I've seen the whole spectrum.

I think it definitely affects how I act and view situations.

Probably the sense of community. I like Mormon culture. I like how serving others is right into our beliefs.

Multiple times. And yet, I always come back to my belief that it's true.

I think there are a lot of spoiled and entitled people out there.

In many ways I'm very Ayn Rand-ish. I really think the government should exist to protect people and their property from others pretty much just that. Don't get me wrong: I love the ideas of helping others, saving the environment, ect, but I am against those ideas being forced on others.

Conservative, I suppose. Mainly I identify with Constitution, Libertarian, and amazingly enough, Green party ideals.

This will sound horrible, but I really don't pay attention.

politics?

On one hand I believe religion affects ones' values which affects ones' politics. But I am also against religions assigning political parties or government making a big deal everytime something spiritual happens.

why?

My religion has helped instill a lot of self-sufficiency ideals in me as well as the desire to help one another. Therefore I don't like the idea of a nanny state or the idea of government taking care of people instead of people taking care of people.

Questions:

I am 34; caucasian mutt (too many countries to list); high school graduate & college level certificate programs.

Born in Southern CA.

The gospel of Jesus Christ - as revealed through modern prophets. (Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons)

I was born into the culture of the church. I have a personal testimony that this is where I need to be and where I can gain the most truth to help me along my journey on earth.

I try to live by the principles taught by our religion all the time. Am I 'ritualistic' in my prayers, scriptures and other tasks? No, I'm not.

The Lord has called Prophets in our day to help lead and guide us towards the truths he has revealed. He loves us as much today as he did back in biblical times. You can learn if this is true by reading The Book of Mormon and praying about it.

My views on the LDS faith can be summed up with this: Living with saints in heaven is full of bliss and glory. Living with saints on earth... is another story. It's just another way of saying that the doctrines are true, but the people are imperfect when compared to the doctrines.

Also, I take a "verb" definition of the word true. I believe we are constantly "truing" ourselves to the will and mind of the Lord... not that we have a perfect knowledge of everything that has been revealed at this time.

Am I strict with my religion? Everyone has their own ways of interpreting this. Simply put, I do the best I can... but I also 'pick and choose' my battles. I drink cola and energy drinks on occasion. I have other weaknesses I'd rather strengthen than that one.

No. Just because my convictions are here, doesn't mean it's the best fit for everyone. I'd rather see a person be happy serving the Lord as a Baptist believer (as an example) than be unhappy in the LDS church. We need to be happy where we can find it in the joy and service of the Lord. We believe we have the most truths to offer, but if it isn't a fit (lack of testimony), then you should go where you can experience the most joy.

Yes and no. Our religion respects all other faiths. However, our doctrine would not accept a baptism performed at another church before joining the church. Our behavior is that we respect all faith and our doctrine says that we hold the true priesthood authority to perform sacred ordinances.

We are unique. Too many misconceptions about us. Some are completely made up; others have some truths that were twisted to make the church appear different than it really is.

My religion is not separate from my life... so yes, it affects every aspect of my life without interfering with it.

I love teaching and sharing the things I know to be true. I love it when there is a mutual dialogue where the soul of each is edified.

No. I've never questioned my faith. I suppose I have questioned whether I was 'fit' for this faith, but I never questioned it. I have had too many experiences to question its truth, genuineness and sincerity.

I think society is degenerating. When I see young girls dressing in very skimpy outfits, people taking pride in asking for financial hand-outs and wanting someone else to fix their mess... I think society is growing more and more lazy by each successive generation.

In general, I am politically conservative, leaning towards libertarianism.

Conservative.

I'm not qualified to give an opinion.

One's faith is nice to understand more about the candidate. However, I never want it to be a "campaign issue or platform". I wouldn't vote for a particular candidate ONLY because he happens to belong to my faith.

I do want to see individual voters voting for candidates in accordance with principles of their faith. I don't have separate morals or ethics for different aspects of my life, so yes, my convictions help me make my voting decisions.

Yes... and I'll use a scriptural example. In the LDS scriptures, we learn about the war in heaven. There were two plans presented: God's plan and Satan's plan. God's plan was to grant all of His children the opportunity to gain a body, be tested in our choices in this life and return back to Him. Satan's plan was that he would save us all, so that not one soul shall be lost. God's plan was upheld and Satan was cast down.

God's plan is more towards an individual's growth, education, accomplishment and accountability. (Individualism)

Satan's plan is more towards saving us all regardless of growth, education, accomplisment and accountability. (IMO, more towards socialism/communism)

That is my view and perspective.

25, caucasian, BS in Fish and Wildlife Management

there?

I was born in northern New York, but didn't live there long enough to be familiar with the area at all. My father was military, and we moved around quite a bit. I never lived outside the US, but I've been just about everywhere within the states while I was growing up, going to college, and working various summer jobs. I currently live in central Texas, but would really pefer to move back to my favorite place- northern Minnesota, or somewhere with a similar climate and wildlife job opportunities.

LDS/Mormon/Christian

My parents are both active, faithful, Latter-day Saints and have been since before my birth, so I was raised within this religion. I don't think I truly came to understand the teachings and beliefs as they differed from other religions and how much I personally identified with it and had faith in it though until my college years. I went through a period of doubts and inactivity while I studied other religions and ended up re-identifying as LDS as I've gained a personal testimony of the truthfulness of the restoration, the Book of Mormon, and the leadership of the prophets.

Yes. I pray daily, study my scriptures and other religious materials, do my best to live by the standards and keep my covenants, and seek to share with others and offer Christ-like service and compassion to all those around me. My religion is very much about who and what I strive to be every day.

The thirteen articles of faith do a much better job than I could at identifying the very basic tenants of our belieifs and the key points of our religion, but here is a basic outline of my testimony:

I believe in the existence of God, that he is the Father of our spirits, that we existed with Him as spirits before coming to earth, that the Fall of both Lucifer and Adam were part of His plan for our growth and progression so that we could spend our mortal probation in a world of opposition so that we could choose for ourselves to follow the path of righteousness or evil.

I believe that Christ was and is our eldest spirit brother and that He is the Only Begotten in the flesh who came to earth to suffer for our sins and overcome death, making it possible for us to inherit the blessings of eternity despite our flaws, mistakes, sins, and imperfections as we follow the path He showed us to repent and be perfected through His mercy, grace, and forgiveness.

I believe that God has organized His religion on earth for our benefit, offering us guidance and leadership through personal revelation and the offering of His power of the Priesthood to those faithful and worthy. That His Church is established with men of humble origins to stand at it's head, to be watchmen and His mouth to offer counsel, advice, and warning, as prophets, seers, and revelators. I believe that as part of this organization, He asks us to set ourselves apart by making covenants, and that as long as we hold up our end of those covenants we can inherit His blessings.

with your religion?

I believe that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints clarifies many truths through direct revelation from the Father which many other religions struggle to understand through reason, science, and historical writings. I have found the greatest levels of understanding, peace, and truth through studying the doctrines of this gospel and striving my best to follow the counsel of the prophets. I have my weaknesses and know that others within the church are just as flawed as I, but nothing will sway me from my belief in the truthfulness of this gospel.

No. I believe it is the only religion for me, because it's truthfulness has been revealed to me personally and to walk away from it would be to turn from what I know to be right in my very soul, making me a hypocrite and a liar. But I also believe that there are many portions of truth in many religions and that people are led to where they will receive the learning and experience they most need for their own personal growth and learning. I have studied the teachings of many other religions and continue to do so and strive to apply the truths I find wihin them to my life.

Yes, and yes. And the more I study other religions, the more I find similarities. There are some very obvious and important differences that set us apart, but I think other religions are all like the three blind men and the elephant- touching portions of the whole and striving to understand it as best they can while falling short of the whole picture. I've found myself identifying with Catholics, Evangelicals, Buddhists, Taoists, Muslims, animists, and even Wiccans, which serves to further strengthen my testimony that the full truth is found here with all these other religions touching on pieces of it.

Most other Christian religions consider the LDS a cult, but as understanding of our beliefs is increasing, I've heard some consider us the "third Abrahamic religion" (Jews, Christians, LDS). Pagans I've spoken with have lumped us with Christianity, and Eastern religions tend to either consider us sorely mistaken or view us much how I view them- touching a portion of truth but falling short of the whole.

Certainly. My religion is a part of who I am and as such it plays a role in every decision I make. I set myself apart through the maintenance of promises and covenants like the Word of Wisdom and Law of Chastity. I hold myself to very high expectations of honesty, integrity, and ethical behavior. I seek after constant improvement in myself and to extend my help to others where I can- utilizing my talents and skills in callings and service. I strive to participate in enriching activities and endeavors. I've found that my focus leads me to success and a high reputation with coworkers, but also makes it a bit more difficult to socialize in a less formal capacity, as many consider me too serious.

I feel at peace with myself. I find enriching knowledge and understanding. I am raising my son in a setting that I know will prepare him for success. I am surrounded by the support of others with strong family values. I am "laying up treasures in heaven" instead of seeking material gain. I have a path filled with hope and purpose and can be optimistic about the future.

Yes. As stated eariler, I went through a period of doubt in my college years, as I stepped away from relying on the testimony of my parents and had to build a testimony of my own.

I believe that society is slowly being degraded and falling apart. There are many good people out ther, doing good things and striving to keep things together, but the loss of spiritual understanding, of family values, of self-restraint, etc. is leading society in general down a slippery slope.

I believe that government is an establishment meant to organize and serve the people. With good leaders focused on this purpose, any government could be successful, but it is easiest to avoid corruption with checks and balances. I believe the constitution of the US was inspired for this purpose, but that with time as society has degraded, so has our government also been degrading. People go into politics for a career instead of for service and everything gets lost in all the back and forth and red tape and corruption instead of seeing to the purposes the government was established for. In a republic like ours, every individual has a responsibility to vote and fulfill their other civic duties, so that we can stave off this corruption as best we can.

None of the above. My political views don't fit into any kind of defined box. I have some conservative views, some liberal, and some centric, as well as some political views and beliefs that don't fit in any of those categories. I think everyones views are unique and that we strive too much to put defining labels on everyone. These labels pit us against each other and cause contention instead of bringing us together in an effort to do what is best for everyone.

I don't know enough about the politics of other countries to have any kind of definitive view on them.

politics?

I believe that it is impossible to completely separate religion from politics and that efforts to do so are rather rediculous. The separation of church and state within the US constitution is there to ensure that no one religion is mandated over another so that everyone can have the freedom to practice their own religion and beliefs, so long as they are not repressing others in doing so. That does not mean that we should exclude God from our political decisions entirely. Those who have a belief in Him should not cast that belief aside to suit others, but should continue to seek out His counsel and guidance in prayer in order to do what they feel is best for the people.

why?

Yes. My religious beliefs identify what I believe to be right true and important for our success as individuals, families, nations, and humanity. Those beliefs will most certainly tie in closely with how I believe a government should be run.

Hi, I'm Jayne

Hi, Jayne. Any relation to the muscular meathead on Firefly?

49, of European descent (mostly British isles but also continental), BSx2 and MSx0.95.

I was born in eastern Washington state, which is in the US's "Pacific Northwest" north of California and bordering with Canada (British Columbia). I grew up in various locations around the state. The eastern two-thirds, where I was born, is rather sparsely populated and politically and socially conservative. The western third, where I currently live, has the majority of the population (especially populous in Seattle's county, King county) and tends to be far more leftist than the eastern part (again, especially in King county).

LDS.

Born into it from parents raised in multigenerational LDS families. I stay in the religion because it has brought me to God and blessed my life in every aspect.

The question reflects a basic misunderstanding of religion in general and the LDS religion in specific. Joseph Smith, the founding prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, once said*, "a religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation". Living the LDS religion means practicing the religion on a daily basis, if only in how you try to treat your family and neighbors. Typically it also includes prayer several times a day, scripture study, and observance of the commandments.

*This quote, from the Lectures on Faith, may in fact have been authored by Sidney Rigdon and not Joseph Smith himself. But Joseph clearly taught these same principles and was listed as the primary author of the book, so the quote is attributed to him.

We are created as children of God. We are provided with agency whereby we can choose which path to follow, and we are free to follow whichever path we choose. But we cannot choose the consequences of our actions; those are divinely decreed and immutable. If we choose to follow God, he has provided a Savior in our Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom we may be cleansed of our sins and live with him eternally. Thus we become children of God not merely by creation, but by conscious choice.

I think religion is the main thing that keeps human beings civilized. My own religious beliefs are quite firm. I like to think I am "strict" in my religion, though others might observe my actions and cry "Hypocrite!"

The short answer is: No, of course not.

The somewhat more involved answer is: There is only one path to God and that is through the gospel of Jesus Christ. There is only one institution in our day that offers that gospel in its fullness, and that is the LDS Church. Ergo, in the long view, other belief systems are good and useful only insofar as they eventually lead people, in this life or the next, to the gospel of Jesus Christ and its vehicle, which (today) is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If people do not eventually accept the gospel of Jesus Christ and the vehicle that brings it, it will in the end make little difference what they do accept.

Not sure what you mean to be "open" to other religions. Joseph Smith wrote a letter to a newspaper editor in which he listed thirteen principles that he called "articles of faith". One of these reads:

We claim the privilege of worshiping almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

In this sense, we are very open to other religions.

However, many separate Christian religions accept each other's ordinances such as baptism and recognize each other as equally authorized to preach Christ's gospel. We do not join in this mutual recognition. LDS teachings clearly specify that the LDS Church alone is authorized by God and empowered by his Priesthood to perform ordinances in Christ's name. Thus, we do not recognize any other religions baptism as valid in the eyes of God (though of course we recognize the sincerity of intent that the participants typically bring to the event). If someone wishes to join the LDS Church, he or she must be baptized by an authorized LDS Priesthood holder. Having been baptized in some other religious tradition is not sufficient.

In overall, day-by-day beliefs, we are quite similar in fundamental religious beliefs to many other Christian denominations. We also have other beliefs that mark us as unique.

Due to our refusal to recognize other Christian religions as having divine authority, coupled with these unique beliefs, many other Christian religions refuse to recognize us as being Christian. In general, we are viewed with distrust and misunderstanding by most other religions. Other religious people have views of us ranging from positive to tolerant to outright hostility.

My religion affects every aspect of my personal life and how I interact with others. It would be impossible to make even a good partial list of how this is so. The very way I view myself and other people is deeply influenced by my religious beliefs.

Every good thing I have in my life -- wife, children, other family, home, fellowship with friends, even job -- is indirectly or (usually) directly related to my religious beliefs and practices. It defines who I am to a large extent.

Of course.

I think modern society, like the ancient societies that preceded it, is corrupt and venal. But I cannot think of a historically documented society of which I would prefer to be a part. For all its manifold weaknesses and perversions, modern society is a marvel of human effort. We live in a world of technological and social miracles, a fact we too often forget.

I take Jack Handey's view that politics is a compound of two words: poly, meaning "many", and ticks, meaning "blood-sucking parasites".

I consider myself clear-eyed and somewhat informed. If I had to pick a label, I would choose "conservative", but it's a poor label and not one I think in terms of.

I find Canadian politics to be a curious amalgam of European socialism, American leftist thought, and small-l libertarianism, with an unhealthy dose of what US Americans would call "disdain for the First Amendment". I think European politics is an appalling mess -- and I do mean politics, not speaking of economics (which is also a mess). Central and South American politics I view as deeply corrupt. African politics is, for the most part, an unfunny joke. Asian politics is largely a contest of which despotic regime you prefer, with a few notable exceptions such as Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea (each of which has its own deep corruptions, obviously). South Pacific and Australian/Kiwi politics is varied and I don't really know enough about it to comment in any depth. Native Antarctican politics alone stands pristine.

How can religion not be used in politics? Religion influences and defines people's values. The very idea that you should somehow "get religion out of politics" is absurd to the point of stupidity.

Of course, this does not mean that you establish a religion as a state vehicle, as many societies have traditionally done. The brilliance of the US Government was partially that it refused to establish a state religion, declaring all religious beliefs equal before the Government.

Governmental politics should never be used to influence or coerce religion.

My religious beliefs and practices influence every part of my life and thoughts, so of course they influence my political views. I can no more tease out which aspects of my political thoughts are influenced by my religion than I can define which aspects of my current societal beliefs are so influenced.

Edited by Vort

Thank you for asking us to participate in your survey. It made me think and also made me feel I should meditate on these questions longer. However, these are my quick answers.

1. Can you tell us a bit about yourself such as your age, ethnicity and education? 64 – German/English/Scottish – some college

there? Lincoln, Nebraska – grew up in small towns in Kansas and Nebraska – well-loved and very family oriented – I’ve lived mostly in cities the last 40 years, however.

3. What is your religion? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

I joined my church when I was almost 21 years old. I chose it because I felt there was more to learn about Heavenly Father and the gospel. I had a very close LDS friend that embodied many traits that I admired.

5. Do you practice your religion on a daily basis? Yes

6. Can you tell us key ideas from your religion? We are literal spirit children of Heavenly Father and we lived in the Spirit World before we came to this earth. Jesus Christ made atonement for our sins and we can return to live with Him again if we repent. We are on this earth to progress and serve each other.

with your religion? My religion paints the big picture of where I came from, how I should live and where I am going. I am very strong in my beliefs. I am strict with my religion using love as the universal barometer of my actions.

8. Do you believe it to be the only religion worth following? I believe it’s the only religion that has the whole gospel. Other religions have part of the truth and people that follow those truths are exemplary people.

9. Is your religion open to other religions; is it similar to other religions? We believe that truth can be found anywhere. In some ways we are similar to other religions and in other ways not so much..

10. How do other religions view you or your religion? Many other religions believe we are a cult.

11. Does your religion affect your personal life? Interaction with others? If so how? Yes, it affects my personal life. I believe kindness, being loving, and service to others to be the basis of my interactions with people.

12. What do you find most rewarding about your religion? Knowing that I can call on Heavenly Father in prayer and he will always give me strength to meet life’s circumstances if I am obedient to his commandments. I also know that I will see my loved ones who have passed on.

13. Have you ever questioned your faith? Yes.

14. What are your views on modern society? Modern society is eroding into people with less self-discipline, morals and standards.

15. What are views on politics in general? There are less and less people in politics who are serving the people.

16. Would you consider yourself conservative, liberal or centrist? Conservative with some liberal leanings.

17. What are your views on Canadian politics? How about international politics? Sad to say I don’t pay any attention to Canadian politics. International politics leaves me with a very anxious feeling about the future.

politics? It would be good if all politics was founded on Christianity. There would be less evil in the world.

19. Does your religious beliefs and practices influence your political views? How and why? My religious beliefs influence every part of my life which includes politics. Of course I would want honest knowledgeable politicians but I can dream.