My Sites Devoted to Parks and Vegas/Cruising

HoosierGuy

Ok, I think it's safe to post about my two sites here. I want to share with you my first one. It's about state and national parks in the Midwest. I call it midwestparktalk.com

Midwest State and National Park Discussion Forums - Index

The reason I created it is because I love message boards and I love parks. My domain name is probably a little too long but it's my first message board site and my pet project. I decided to make the site about the Midwest because the west part of the U.S. has many great national parks like Yellowstone and the east coast has many too. I wanted to focus on state (and national) parks in the Midwest, particularly state parks and recreation areas.

My second site that I just got up and I'm still working on is devoted to another of my loves, travel. My second site is about cruising on cruise ships and Las Vegas. Yeah, there are cruising message boards out there. I'm sure there are boards about Vegas. But I decided to combine them. Both of them are in competition with other tourist spots like Disney and both of them offer great value and fun for the money. My site is:

www.vegascruisevacation.com - Index

Both of my sites are still under construction buy my Vegas one is only a few days old and I've not got all the sections put up yet.

I am going to run both of my sites as family friendly. No political talk and no hot topic talk (oil drilling etc...). My sites are for fun and entertainment, for asking questions and learning and general conversation.

And of course I invite everyone here to visit the sites if you are interested in parks in the Midwest or cruising/Vegas.

Good job on the forums man! However, you need some meat to your site, write articles about various topics and link to them from a homepage. It is very hard to get a forum established. That is why it is pertinent you draw people to your site. Also make sure you submit your website to Google search.

When I punch in midwest parks I don't find my site, at least not in the first four or five pages.

But when I punch in midwest parks talk or discussion I come up at or near the top.

I'm not sure how it go so high so quick. From what I understand, you are listed by how many sites link to your site. But I don't have my site link on too many other sites.

That would be why then. Most wouldn't punch in discuss or talk when googling. Most peope would just google something like midwest parks or national parks in the midwest.

I punched in "midwest state parks" and my site came up on the fifth page, right above the midwestern governors association.

I say not bad considering it's only been online for two weeks and It's my first site.

Yeah, I need content. I try to post on it every day and I have about six books from the library on state parks in the Midwest.

I took a look at your parks website. I think you have a good foundation. New websites don't happen overnight. It's a lot of work. There isn't much out there as far as midwest parks so I think it's something that could really be useful if some really good content is continually added.

One thing I found helpful when I developed my own website was having it "ok'd" by Norton Security. People then know it's been checked out. For example if you google ldsplace you'll see a green "ok." It's one of the things I look for when googling so that I know the site has at least been checked out for viruses etc.

I think people who wish to discuss midwest parks would type what I searched. Although you are right more would come just by searching midwest parks.

As far as you being high on Google already Hoosier. That means you have found a niche. It also happens, like you said from links. If you have been sharing your site on a lot of forums it will help.

As far as you being high on Google already Hoosier. That means you have found a niche. It also happens, like you said from links. If you have been sharing your site on a lot of forums it will help.

You have to be careful with this though. Many site owners would consider this to be spamming.

One thing I found helpful when I developed my own website was having it "ok'd" by Norton Security. People then know it's been checked out. For example if you google ldsplace you'll see a green "ok." It's one of the things I look for when googling so that I know the site has at least been checked out for viruses etc.

That's interesting. How do you get Norton Security to OK it? Is there a cost?

That's interesting. How do you get Norton Security to OK it? Is there a cost?

There is no cost but you do have to register with them. Where you find your site listed there should be a grey ? there. If you click on it, you should come up with another page that let's you register and you can request to have the site tested.

Let me ask something. When people sign up to lds.net, do they usually post after they sign up in a few hours? I've got a couple of people who signed up last night but they have not posted yet. I'm thinking they are spammers but they have not posted yet.

It depends. There are many that sign up that never post. There are some that have lurked for quite some time and finally decide to sign up so they can post. Then there are those that sign up so they can immediatley start spamming.

Keep in mind that you can't post links to personal websites here. Just reminding you once again of the rules.

13. You will not use this site to solicit the sale of any product, service or website. If appropriate, you may post a link to your personal website or to your business on your profile, in your forum signature, and you make create one post in the web link section of the forum. Do not post any link or discuss any business, service, or website that violates any rule of LDS.net. LDS.net is not responsible for the content of any site linked on LDS.net.